Bees

I think Princess got stung by a bee. Our sage bush is blossoming which has drawn bumble bees to it. One is big and beautiful. Princess see's it and tries to catch it. I've caught her several times trying to catch these bees. Well yesterday we were outside, she walked by the sage, looked up and seen the bee and took off running away! This makes me think she got stung by one.
Makes me curious what a bee sting will do to a dog? Anything?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have seen dogs snap and chomp them with no adverse affects..i have also seen a labrador's head swell up like she had mumps so it really depends on the dog.

Princess acted scared of that bee which makes me think she must have gotten stung by one. There are other kinds of bees being drawn to it, I watched 2 bumble bees though yesterday. I have never really thought about a dog getting stung though until yesterday when I watched her fear of that bee.

My Bear used to catch them all the time. He was fine until he caught a hornet. His nose swelled up until he looked like Jimmy Durante, lol! Poor fellow! The vet told me to give him benadryl - one milligram per pound of bodyweight. I halved the dose and it did the trick.

moe

Our ***** Willow got hold of a bee two years ago, her lip and one side of her face ballooned up, obviously I had to take her to the vet, as swelling in this area could have cut off her air supply, she was given a shot, and then I had to give her periton to reduce the swelling etc. took a good few weeks for the pigment to settle in her mouth and return to normal(pigment is normally black but went pinkish with the swelling).

Mo

Fran27

Boris got stung by a bee when he was 4 months or so... He got startled (poor thing was just sleeping), and the area was red for a while but it didn't seem to do anything to him.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
my mom had one really stupid dog named Tammy..mom's back porch is made of concrete block in a stacked pattern so there are holes the dogs can stick their head out of..anyway wasps would be attracted to the small holes in the concrete block and tammy took delight in catching them..like i said she wasn't too bright. At the kennels mud daubers would build right on the crack of the wooden door i had to open to go in..first you had one door to enter, then a sliding gate (these were the back runs where the escape artists were kept) after sliding that gate u went in a third door. That is where the wasps got me every summer. You'd open that door and break the nest open they build over night and bam you would be hopping all over the place. They would sting the dogs too. There are some parts of being a kennel kid i don't miss and that is a big one. it happened once every single summer. You had to get out of the other two doors to get away.

Barb04

Super Moderator
My stepson's puppy got an allergic reaction and broke out in hives. He was put on Benedryl and got better. The vet said it was either a bee sting or spider bite.

Hello all

Bees, there everywhere. I agree with the vet that benedryl is the best resource for comfort for the inside of the dog after a bee sting. But there is something you can do to prevent discomfort topically. Just soak a cotton ball with vinegar and hold it on the sting for a minute or two (be careful around the eyes). The vinegar will nutralize the poison and help cut down on the swelling. We learned to use this remedy when my girls and I were camping with the Girl Scouts. It really does work.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Gus got stung 2 weeks ago by a Hornet and he swelled up like a balloon!! I was really worried about him!! I took him to the vets for anti inflammatories in the end! I think it depends on the dog!

Members online

No members online now.