Importance of Heartworm tests??

Dreeza

Ok, obviously I know it is important...but is it ok if they are a bit overdue? and how long is it 'okay' to wait?

but my bro is a complete idiot, and decided to secretary/assistant person at the vet that he wanted to talk to the vet first...course, he forgot, so it never got done. COurse I do blame the vet too...cause I think that shoulda been brought again since Oakley is past due for his heartworm test.

Anyways, Oakley takes Heartguard every month, and I am pretty sure its not like a common thing for dogs to be getting heartworm around here (although I could be making that up).

Its just, ugh. I want to be able to go to the vets with Oakley, but don't know how soon I'll be able too. Also, Oakley absolutely 100% despises the vet...we just don't know what to do anymore. He freaks out, and they end up having to muzzle him... :(

I'm sure his next trip is going to be twice as bad as normal since his last trip (less than 2 weeks ago) left him in pain, and incredibly lethargic from a shot for a day and a half...

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
My vet won't prescribe anothe ryear's worth of heartworm preventative unless a heartwork check is done... heartworms are common around here, so it's fairly important.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
We have already had a few cases of Heart Worm Positives through testing, so it is present around here as well.

Lets say IF Oakley had contracted heart worm - putting him ONTO heartworm medication could make him seriously ill. There are ways of treating Heartworm that a fairly good so its definately worth getting a test done for him as soon as possible.

Because hes coming into Mosquitoe season, I suggest getting it done BEFORE June 1st.

I'm not sure what the mosquito rotation is like over there, but here it hits hard in June, July and August.

Riot needs to get his test done this month as well. Hes also been on Interceptor from November until April and then Revolution from April until present, so technically he should not show a positive, but before he gets his next dose of Revolution hes going in for a HWT.

Members online

No members online now.