Agility training

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Thanks so much guys, I still can't believe it. I feel like I'm going to wake up at any second and realize I'm late for the trial. What a good boy.

After the trial today I was so relieved and was like "Ahhhh, I want to just take a week off and train NOTHING." But even though we're still just wait listed, no, I need to keep training contacts. It never ends! Wah!

BostonBanker

Gusto's first ever PII Jumpers run. So very happy with my boy! We are working a lot on the sniffing/distraction issues he's been plagued with, and on getting him amped up enough to actually run. I think he's still got a couple more gears in him, but for where we are at in his training now, I'm thrilled.

[YOUTUBE]edec0Li0hls[/YOUTUBE]

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Congrats everyone on all your successes -- counted both in smiles and in ribbons :)

Mira picked up her tenth QQ with two first places and about forty points (Masters class), on mats. She's such a good girl. Halfway to MACH on QQs, done on points. Running for blue is fun and she is just a blast.

Webby picked up his 19th QQ and another 30 points. Placed fourth in Standard, fifth in Jumpers. He needs 1 QQ and 73 points...so judging by his qualifying trend he's probably going to make me do math on course. Fingers crossed...

BostonBanker

Webby picked up his 19th QQ and another 30 points. Placed fourth in Standard, fifth in Jumpers. He needs 1 QQ and 73 points...so judging by his qualifying trend he's probably going to make me do math on course. Fingers crossed...
Woohoo! I didn't realize he was so close. When's the next trial?

chelsey

Last weekend we had a handling seminar with Sarah Mairs up in Sudbury, who is a fantastic experienced instructor from Southern Ont, she is a lot of fun, and is great at tailoring to the level of each team.

Wiley only got to work for 1.5 of the two sessions because he burned his paw pads on the first day so I did just a couple runs on the second day because the following weekend (the one that just finished) he was signed up for a FR seminar. I also worked my baby toller, Slice, and just broke things down to what she can handle. It was VERY hot and I found the heat got to her a lot but she did great.

Wiley I hope to do his trial debut this fall sometime in AAC.

Day 1:
[YOUTUBE]yG4qRkJvGP8[/YOUTUBE]

Day 2:
[YOUTUBE]SDSdRNPqQRE[/YOUTUBE]

Wiley started in Agility last November, we did Silvia Trkman's course over the winter (all indoors) and have done 2 other seminars, the rest has been me working with him mostly bringing 3-4 jumps and a tunnel to a park. I have a tiny back yard that I have a 3/4 sized dogwalk and an full height aframe, but he had his 2o2o foundation training proofed on a box much like I did in the video a few pages back with Slice, plus some plank work. For weaves we acquired our channels at the beginning of June. We did some indoor 2x2 work but only with 4 poles because there is not enough duct tape in this universe to teach him to not move the bases, lol.

k9krazee

I just got approved from the Village to host an agility play date AKA The "Poochsuit of Happiness" at a local park on a bi-monthly basis.

Super stoked.

Sekah

The Monster.
[YOUTUBE]qUJ9yBuSBMk[/YOUTUBE]

So, I finally got around to doing some weave work with Megatron. To date, she's not had any real agility training. Or, really, any training at all beyond the very basics. I'm quite pleased with her progress. This is after maybe 7-10 brief shaping sessions via the 2x2 method.

My goal is to get her weaving a line of 6 poles so she can do a few more events on my performance team (I don't need her finding tough entrances or weaving on both my left and right). It's been interesting working with a tinydog with little natural drive and few energy reserves. I'm just used to working Cohen, who will go and go and go and go forever. I'm being forced to be patient. Kind of.

Last edited:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Mira picked up her tenth QQ with two first places and about forty points (Masters class), on mats. She's such a good girl. Halfway to MACH on QQs, done on points. Running for blue is fun and she is just a blast.

Clearly you need to time this correctly so you MACH them both on the same weekend. RUN SLOWER WEBBY. DON'T RUIN IT

Gusto looks great!! And Megatron looks awesome in the weaves too!
EVERYBODY HAS GREAT DOGGIES YAY

My mom has been working hard at getting Georgie to weave. I think she was inspired and/or jealous by Payton's debut and has decided she really really wants Georgie ready to go. The next local trial is in September so she has two months. She needs to work equally hard on contacts but that one is tougher for her. She has yet to acquire the patience and timing necessary for shaping, and because she doesn't really train that way with Georgie, Georgie doesn't work like that with her. She's better about shaping with me because that's how we train. I think I'm going to have to end up doing the contact work for her...

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Clearly you need to time this correctly so you MACH them both on the same weekend. RUN SLOWER WEBBY. DON'T RUIN IT
Haha at one time that seemed like a possibility, but Webster has sped up while remaining consistent and Mira lost six or seven trials over the last year by coming into heat *exactly* when we'd have a run of trials. Plus it's frankly just easier to QQ with a smaller dog (they have their own challenges I know, but in terms of purely running clean, there are more strides to work with and the smaller guys dogs take off/land closer to obstacles, in general).

I am very exited for Webby, and trying very hard to not think about it :). Nothing but calm, cheerful, relaxed enthusiasm is permitted when running Websteroni!

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I really want to rent the ring so I can put Em on a full set of weaves, but I just can't seem to find the time. I really want to debut her in the fall. :(

DJEtzel

I spent about 15 minutes working on weaves in the backyard with Recon this morning. I wanted to shape them, unfortunately he will not work for food with agility. He kept shutting down and going to hide under his bush. So I weave-o-matic'd them and brought out his udder tug and he was doing great! I was able to close them up successfully quite a bit, too! I got some awesome videos, but I think the quality got messed up when I uploaded and now it looks like poo. :(

Sekah

The Monster.
Someone come teach my dogs to weave!
Your toils and travails of you working on your dogs' weaves inspired me to work with Mega. I sympathize with your tinydog issues. But you can totally do it! Just pick a method, be clear, and stick with it! :D

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I spent about 15 minutes working on weaves in the backyard with Recon this morning. I wanted to shape them, unfortunately he will not work for food with agility. He kept shutting down and going to hide under his bush. So I weave-o-matic'd them and brought out his udder tug and he was doing great! I was able to close them up successfully quite a bit, too! I got some awesome videos, but I think the quality got messed up when I uploaded and now it looks like poo. :(
You should be able to shape just fine using a toy. I've done it with Payton. In fact with weaves it's much better to use a toy or at least a throwable food-toy to encourage the forward drive!
P's favourite agility training toy

I jokingly asked my mom if she was going to teach Pepper to do weaves too now that she's teaching Georgie. I might actually try to teach her myself... I don't know. I'm still not sure about what to do with Pep. I want to trial with her but I just don't think her temperament is up to par to be plonked into a ring where she might be scared of... you know... everything. I just dunno. I guess I could always give it a shot and see what happens.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
The table in AAC will now be positionless as of August 6th. Dog just has to get on for the count to start.

Doesn't affect Izzie and I as she has no issue and we're in masters where there is no table, but I'm sure it will help a bunch of teams out.

Sekah

The Monster.
The table in AAC will now be positionless as of August 6th. Dog just has to get on for the count to start.

Doesn't affect Izzie and I as she has no issue and we're in masters where there is no table, but I'm sure it will help a bunch of teams out.
It will definitely help Cohen aka Ms. Barkypants What's This Table You Speak Of I Can't Hear You So I'll Just Stand On This Thing And Bark McGee. Looking forward to the change.

Members online

No members online now.