Proof a dog can rise above his background

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
This went through my head earlier thinking about everything that has happened this year with my pitbulls and I. And I was thinking about Zeus and came to an interesting point.

I rescued Zeus when he was alittle over year old. He had already had three homes before his stop at the shelter all of which were abusive. Zeus came to the shelter before though. WHen he was a puppy he was part of a dog fighting raid one of a litter of 4 young puppies. Zeus was bred to fight and they even had files of papers on the puppies sire and dams fighting history. So Zeus was bred to fight and kill and eventually be killed but he was rescued. After he was weaned he was adopted out to his first owners I don't know what happened to him after that. When he left the shelter he was fat and happy go lucky puppy. When Zeus was returned from his third home (the shelter recongnized him obviousely as he has a scar on the inside of his right for leg. But thats about all that was left of the puppy they adopted out months before. He was skinny, mangey, detached mentally, and wounded. I was surprised he wasent put down when I heard his story as most people would say oh fighting dog and put him down.

I am in 2 months later and Zeus was still skinny and mentally detatched but he wasent sick anymore and I fell in love right from the start. It took me anouther year and a halph to get Zeus to even trust me. Zeus is now 4 years old and well adjusted lover of a dog. He gets along well with every dog he meets and when i say every dog i mean EVERY dog he meets. He loves people especially children and women. he is amazingly smart and wil recongnize over 20 commands in english and Italian. He is what you would call perfect conformation. Its true a number of vets and other pitbull owners have said if i had wanted to I could have shown him though im not and won't ever be interested in showing him it is a nice compliment and he's neutered anyways.

I just thought it would be a good thing for people who think dogs can't rise above their past. I have seen Animal cops show where like Zeus a litter was taken from a raid or possible fighting facility possibly only 5 weeks old but they were put down because they were born to be fighting dogs. Well if they could only see Zeus bred and born to fight but was raised and turned into one of the sweetest most happy go lucky clownish dog I have ever met.

I am thankful everyday that shelter gave Zeus and his littermates a chance. If not I would'nt sit here every night (or day) with his block head in my lap looking up at me with his loving liquid brown eyes.

Just some food for thought.

Saje

Island dweller
awww Zeus is so awesome. Your story made me teary eyed. :) You should post some pics of Zeus for the newer members who don't know who he is. :)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Does your town have a local paper? i would send that in..and see if they would print it along with a pic.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
There are exceptions to every rule and Zeus is one of the lucky ones that was given that chance. Kudo's to you for giving him the chance to be the dog he is today. Happy,trusting and loving companion.

bogolove

That was a beautiful story. It really touched my heart. Thank goodness Zeus found you. Where would you be without that sweet block head? ;)

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Thanks everyone
Smkie we do have a local paper I never thought of that its a good idea :).

Bogo I have no idea where I would be with out that blockhead I truly think he changed me for the better in some ways.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I always love reading your stories!! They make me smile! That was another one that is just soo wonderful and zues loooks so happy with you! :)

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Those are great thoughts - would be good to see that published and see a positive story about Pits for a change. Zeus is a credit to you.

nicco

Wolfpack
What a great story!I agree with smkie...you should publish it to the local newspaper...
And Zeus is a DARLING.What a face :D
Give him a big kiss for me.thanks
Nicco

avenlee

That was such a nice story. Its just one of many stories that everyone that thinks these dogs are such a danger should read. Pitbulls are NOT born fighters or killers. Its the way they are brought up that molds them. Zeus had an angel looking out for him and that was you. And the way you speak of him, in a way, I think he was your angel also. It was meant to be! Cheers!

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Love4pits what you did was an admirable thing especially knowing the history and background of Zeus. It seems that you have seen a different side of zeus from when you first rescued him and he has definately seen a better side of life. Heres to a wonderful life for you and your ZOO CREW. i am sorry but the pic is your alaskian and the puter just kills me that is my all time fav pic.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Awwwwwww! *sniff* That was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog!! :D Definatley send it in to the paper Scar!!

Members online

No members online now.