Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

donkin

Since behind most dog names there's an interesting story, is there a story behind why you gave your dog the name that you did?

Here's my Labs story…

My wife and I were at a club one night and when we were leaving we heard the whimper of a little puppy from somewhere in the parking lot. After MUCH searching we found this incredibly cute Black Lab pup that someone had abandoned and was hiding under a car.

We couldn’t leave it there so we took it home (it slept all the way home on my wifes lap) and proceeded to try and find it's owner the next day.

Well it didn't take long for us to hope that the owner wouldn't claim it, as we were growing fond of it, and of course, we couldn't turn it into the pound, so we did what any rational dog lover would do…we kept it!

So what name did we give it? Since it took us soooo long to find her hiding under the cars that night, we decided that the name Heidi (as in hide-e) would fit!

Needless to say, because she's grown quite a bit since then…she can't "hide" anymore!

So what's the story behind your dogs name? Or at the very least, why did you choose what you did?

Do Tell!

CaliTerp07

Haha, aww...too cute!

Lucy came from the shelter named. I wanted to call her Hannah though, since we adopted her during Hurricane Hanna :)

Her "kennel name" (who says only purebreds can have fancy names!?) is "I love Lucy Viteameatavegemin of Eisenhower", because the animal shelter is on Eisenhower Avenue.

umterps97

Maya was also named after one of the huskies from Eight Below....even though she's not a husky. We just happened to watch the movie right before we picked her up!

bubbatd

Neat story ! Ollie came with his name and it suited him . When I found him on pet-finder , he reminded me of " Oliver "......." More please ! "

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Since this is a popular thread topic that pops up periodically, I decided to sticky this one. ;)

Here's my two:
Zeus--our previous dog was Odin, and we wanted to keep to the same theme. His foster name had originally named him "Dudley". :yikes: Umm....NO. Needless to say, that name was changed quickly!

Voodoo--We were trying to name him after a god, too, but he wasn't responding to any of the ones we tried. I said, "Let's try the deities of Voodoo," and our dog perked up and responded to "Voodoo". I regret naming him that. He's certainly living up to it.

Last edited:

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
When we bought Rylie we weren't planning on having kids...sooo I gave her my favorite all time name.

Chloe's breeder started calling her Chloe, and I couldn't think of anything better to change it to. I liked the name to begin with, so it stuck.

cockers2

Dillon was 15 mos. when we got him so the breeder picked his formal name, Tru-Luv's Front Page News and his call name, Dillon. With Chase we got to pick his call name but she picked his formal name, Tru-Luv's Call Me McDreamy. I have no idea where I got the name Chase from, it just came to me and when I told her she told me that is a special name to her as that is the name of her first Cocker when she started out. That made both of us feel good. However, I now know why Chase is a good name, I am constantly saying "dont chase the cat".:p

No cute story or anything... I let Justin name Maggie. I think it suits her though. Her shelter name was Sheba and we didn't really like it. She doesn't seem like a Sheba.

donkin

Gempress, you wrote this when naming your dog...

Voodoo--We were trying to name him after a god, too, but he wasn't responding to any of the ones we tried. I said, "Let's try the deities of Voodoo," and our dog perked up and responded to "Voodoo".
Can't say I've ever heard of someone choosing to name their dog this way, thats pretty unique.

Since I like the name I'm wondering if you'd mind my adding your dogs name to my Cool Dog Names page (under the letter V) on my site here...

http://www.dog-names-and-more.com/Cool-Dog-Names.html

Also, since I'm reading some really interesting ideas here, and will hopefully read many more...I'll be happy to add some of these dog names to my site.

Just think of it! Your dogs name might be immortal!

BostonBanker

When Meg came up from West Virginia, her name was Spice. I didn't like it, and she didn't respond to it at all, so I figured I was safe changing it. I was trying to think of spice names for her, and wanted to name her Annie for anise, but my cousin was about to have a daughter and was planning to name her Anna, so that was out. My mother came up with Nutmeg, since the color was about right. It morphed quickly into Meggie, and then just Meg.

One name I thought was really clever, but I passed on, was Fern. Because Meg was so quiet and easy from day one, my mother said it was just like having a plant in the house!

Kayota

I chose Padfoot A: Because I was seriously into Sirius Black [lol, bad pun] at the time and he happened to be both my favorite puppy in the litter and black.
B: Because a Padfoot, aka a Grim, is also an omen of death. I tell people that and they stay awaaaay. Which is good, I don't want people crowding around me when I take him somewhere. Also hoping he would protect me at night.

Didget: My stepmom says it's "Dog" and "Midget" stuck together. Okay then.

Cindy: My mom thought she looked like the Grinch's dog Max, so Cindy's whole name is Cindy Lou Who. XD

Baby: I have no idea. Probably because she makes grunting sounds like a pig, lol.

milos_mommy

Milo, is not, according to popular belief, named after the dog from the Mask.

He's named after the Venus De Milo statue. I really just loved the name a lot, planned on using it on a future son but decided to give it to Milo, instead.

mrose_s

BusterLove
We just name dogs what name suits them. Buster took ages to name, he went through Frog, Pumpkin, Spike, Junior before we came to Buster, and it suits him.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Daisy - my mom always wanted to name a dog "Daisy", so when we got her and I couldn't think of a name, I said ok she's Daisy.

Benji - he came with the name, and he knew it already, so it stayed.

Cats
Siam - I was a kid when we got her, and she's a siamese, so she was named Siam.

Petey - he was named after my mom's friend from HS who died of stomach cancer last year. His name at the SPCA was "Charlie" which we didn't really like anyway. Petey fits him well.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Bear got his name b/c when he was puppy he looked just like a Polar Bear cub.
Jet was a rescue so she came with hers. lol

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I think I've told this story a thousand times before... but I'll tell it again. Sorry to those who know it already!

A week or so before knowing Sierra even existed, I had a dream about having a dog named Sierra. Never considered the name before, and didn't love it, so I didn't think much of the dream.

Sierra came into the store with her foster mom and I instantly knew she was my dog. Only AFTER I'd been fawning on her for a few minutes did I learn her name, and it sealed the deal.

I wouldn't have fathomed changing her name, it seemed "fate" :)

Members online

No members online now.