Breed suggestions?

AliciaD

On second thought...
I figured since I haven't made one of these in the past, and I'm seriously thinking/planning Next Dog, I could definitely use the help of Chaz. Plus, I don't know nearly as much about different breeds as a lot of chazzers on here do.

Size: 60-90lbs, preferably under 27 inches, but I'm flexible.
Coat: Cold tolerant, I like fluffy dogs. Prefer to be able to take care of the coat myself, but am willing to go to a groomers if needed.
Health: Nothing particularly prone to health issues, or if there are health issues in the breed they can be avoided through proper testing and sound breeding practices (since I intend to go the breeder route).
Energy Level: Can be a weekend warrior. Has an off switch. Can be chill in the home, but is also fun and active outside.

I tend to have a quiet life, go for a walk and play a game outside each day but other than that leave the hiking and lake trips for the weekend. I'd like a dog that can make trips with me to Farmers Markets, and tolerates strangers but is mostly aloof- I can spend a lot of time socializing the dog and making positive experiences. I like to do training, and want a dog that likes it too. I like guarding instinct, and one person dogs. I don't want to have to worry about dog-aggression, but I wouldn't rule a breed out if there's a small risk of DA. Must be able to live with cats, LOL

Doesn't have to be great with kids, since I don't spend a lot of time with children.

I love Chow Chows, but I'm not sure if Next Dog could/should be a Chow, so I'm perusing other options. I like other Asian Spitz types, like Akitas. I've also looked into and are considering Karelian Bear Dogs, and Gordon Setters. I'm actually liking Gordon Setters a lot now, but they're pretty different from what I usually go for so it might just be a phase, ;)

Thanks!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I would worry about the Gordon Setter energy level. Maybe if you got one that was show line? Most of the Gordon's that I have come into contact with are working like and holy energy batman. I dogsat for an 8 year old show line Gordon who was a couch potato, but I don't know if that was age related or not. He was a very nice, chill dog. No guarding instinct though, and he loved everyone.

What about an Icelandic Sheepdog? I've met one, and there was one owned by a member here for a while. I don't have a whole lot of experience but they seemed like really cool dogs. And I think they are smaller than 60 pounds. How do you feel about barking?

AliciaD

On second thought...
I would worry about the Gordon Setter energy level. Maybe if you got one that was show line? Most of the Gordon's that I have come into contact with are working like and holy energy batman. I dogsat for an 8 year old show line Gordon who was a couch potato, but I don't know if that was age related or not. He was a very nice, chill dog. No guarding instinct though, and he loved everyone.

What about an Icelandic Sheepdog? I've met one, and there was one owned by a member here for a while. I don't have a whole lot of experience but they seemed like really cool dogs. And I think they are smaller than 60 pounds. How do you feel about barking?
Haha, thanks for the Gordon heads up.

I would say I have a higher than average tolerance for barking, but since apartment life is a possibility (however unlikely) extreme barkers should probably be off the list.

I like the Eurasian or Samoyed as an alternative to the Chow.
I would go for a long-hair GSD,Tervueren,Golden or Aussie cos depending on ligns,they will be active but do have a swith off.
If chosen,propally,you should be able to find the perfect match.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Ooh, Samoyed is a good one! The ones I have met have been friendly enough to strangers, but they are not the type to run up to a stranger and go OHAI PET ME!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Ooh, Samoyed is a good one! The ones I have met have been friendly enough to strangers, but they are not the type to run up to a stranger and go OHAI PET ME!
Yah, I met a Samoyed pup the other day and he was a very friendly boy, but certainly not over the top. He politely greeted us and then was more than happy to ignore us in favor for his owner/his own thing.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
i have yet to meet/encounter/see/hear about a spitz breed that does great in busy social things like faires and farmers markets. you might be able to socialize the hell out of them so that they tolerate it, but they arent the kind of dogs that a busy day around thousands of people is actually FUN. some siberians are an exception to that, but even when they seemed to be having fun, they were, at the same time, grossly overstimulated, jumping on everything and everyone, knocking over product, clawing people, lunging/leashdragging, barking, out of control. (these observations come from 20 years of Seattles Pike Place market, and Portlands Saturday Market)

What about an English Shepherd?

AliciaD

On second thought...
i have yet to meet/encounter/see/hear about a spitz breed that does great in busy social things like faires and farmers markets. you might be able to socialize the hell out of them so that they tolerate it, but they arent the kind of dogs that a busy day around thousands of people is actually FUN. some siberians are an exception to that, but even when they seemed to be having fun, they were, at the same time, grossly overstimulated, jumping on everything and everyone, knocking over product, clawing people, lunging/leashdragging, barking, out of control. (these observations come from 20 years of Seattles Pike Place market, and Portlands Saturday Market)
Egad. The Markets around here aren't busy at all, they're very spread out with a lot of space and not a lot of people at once, but yeah, I might end up having to curb the social excursions depending on the breed/dog.

What about an English Shepherd?
I hadn't looked into them at all, but I looked over the description on the club page and my interest is piqued. How are they with strangers when they are out and about with their handler?
Response in bold, thanks for the ES suggestion!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
If you would be OK with a smaller dog, I would actually say that a Finnish Spitz could be good for you. Mine LOVE to go places even around a lot of people (Jari went to his first dog show last weekend with THOUSANDS of people and dogs and he thought it was super fun), and are totally polite in greeting strangers (I have a "Go say hi!" command), but they are also just fine not greeting. Apartments are totally doable with this breed. They aren't the off leash type, but are fine to explore on long lines/flexis if the environment is appropriate. Decent off switch inside, as well.

Romy

Taxiderpy
You should get a shikoku so I can live vicariously through you. Plus they're gorgeous and get along better with other animals and are more biddable than most other Japanese spitz breeds.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
You should get a shikoku so I can live vicariously through you. Plus they're gorgeous and get along better with other animals and are more biddable than most other Japanese spitz breeds.

Oh I totally want one of those one day.... I think you're the one that suggested it, Romy LOL. So YES get one so we can know allllll about it and see lots of pictures!

Flyinsbt

The Gordon Setters I know are not super high energy. They're active, but not crazy. I have a friend who always has 3, so I've known 4 or 5 of her girls.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Oh I totally want one of those one day.... I think you're the one that suggested it, Romy LOL. So YES get one so we can know allllll about it and see lots of pictures!
There's a decent chance I may end up with one as well. I've been corresponding with a breeder that's about a day's drive from here. ;) It's just a matter of deciding when the right time is and saving up the $$$.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Waited too long to edit my previous post so:

ETA: To bring it around to the OPs question, they do fit a lot of what you're looking for.

Their coat isn't long and fluffy, but it is dense, utilitarian, wash and wear for cold weather like an akita or shiba.

They are very much a one person/one family type of dog. They're very protective of their families. The shikoku gene pool is pretty small, and a lot of the shikoku breeders in Japan actively hunt deer and boar with their dogs.

The size might be the only off thing. They're about 20 inches at the shoulder, no idea what weight.

Hip and elbow dysplasia can occur, but breeders are pretty good about testing for it and it's pretty uncommon. Some dogs can have food allergies.

They are active, being boar hunting dogs. I haven't gotten to meet one in person yet, so can't give you a first hand account of my impression there. The breeder I talked to said 1-2 hours of daily exercise, which can including walking but that if you have access to a fenced yard that is helpful for letting them run and burn off their energy. She said that if they've gotten some outside stimulation that day, they're pretty mellow and layabout in the house.
For the most part they're not DA. She said if they do develop DA it's almost always SSA, and that tends to manifest in the males vs. the females.

For gordon setters, my cousin had a really rad one. He was like a golden retriever in a black and tan body, and super intelligent. He was just a good all around mellow farm dog. Honestly they're the only gun dog I'd consider at this point in my life.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I think an English Shepherd would be a good fit, or, similarly, maybe an Aussie.

A female ES could fall slightly under your size preference (I find most are 45-55 pounds, but it is not uncommon for them to be more or less), but a male would most likely be 60 pounds or more.

Very cold tolerant! Easy care, teflon coat. No need for pro grooming unless you want to have them blown out when they're blowing coat.

Overall a healthy breed. MDR1 is not terribly uncommon, but a good breeder should test parents. It's simple in the way that a dog either has it, or doesn't :) I would personally hold out for a breeder that tests hips (either OFA or PennHip) as that is another ailment in the breed. Some working breeders don't test, but a lot do. It also might be worth it to ask your breeder if there's any history of seizures - they should have a good understanding of their dogs' bloodlines and history.

English Shepherds tend to have an AWESOME off switch! Even Quinn, who tends to be a little higher energy than many, has always had a very natural off switch that I've been sure to nurture. Like any breed, bad habits can be formed, but I would say that if you're careful to maintain that off switch, it does tend to be a breed trait.

Most ESs tend to be slightly aloof - at least, a polite disinterest in strangers/preference for their people. I have met a couple friendly ones (Quinn is like this, too), but for the most part I think most of them are fairly "eh" about strangers. Even Quinn, who loves just about anyone, will bark very seriously if anyone tries to come into the house uninvited.

Living with cats also shouldn't be an issue, especially if you'd be getting a puppy. :)

AliciaD

On second thought...
Honestly, I keep looking and reading about English Shepherds and they seem great. I like that they seem in-tune with their owners, versatile, and sound the alarm when people come on to the property.

Plus, they seem like a really fun partner.

I've been reading the old threads on ES, and some breeders websites and club websites, but are there any readings in particular that you recommend?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I'd message Sitstay and LostAndConfused, they both have awesome English Shepherds! :)

Lol just saw it was Sitstay's post that started that, on my phone. Nevertheless, my suggestion still stands. I've found it really helpful to talk to several owners of a breed to get a feel for it. :)

AliciaD

On second thought...
I'd message Sitstay and LostAndConfused, they both have awesome English Shepherds! :)

Lol just saw it was Sitstay's post that started that, on my phone. Nevertheless, my suggestion still stands. I've found it really helpful to talk to several owners of a breed to get a feel for it. :)
It would be great to even meet a couple ES, but I'm not sure how many I'll be able to find since I had never even heard of them until Chaz. Hmmn...

Members online