Finally got him

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
good thing you get to house break in the old house..when i visited my dad in Arizona (before he moved to alabama) he had a brand new double trailer..and there was brand new carpet everywhere..that is where i learned to housebreak..my eyes never left Charlie! I didn't know before i went down, my father is usually a horrible slob but he had just remarried...wondering how it is going for you..the house breaking thing!

Richie12345

It's doing fine, he has his accidents now and then, but he's starting to understand. I usually wait like 10 minutes after he eats and take him outside, but I wish he would bark to let me know he has to go potty

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Many dogs have to go right now..but others are anywhere from a few minutes up to 30 before they have their bowels move..are you catching him when he first wakes up? that is the best time of all! I keep a puppy in the same room with me always with at least one eye on them until they are house broken..Victor doesn't bark, but he does go to the door and make a barely audible whine..mary will simply go to the door and wag her tail..he will get there quick enuff..try to keep those accidents down as much as possible..a few are no big deal, but more then that will get confusing. IT does no good to find a puddle 15 minutes after they have done it and try to correct them..at that age they have no idea what you are talking about..it is best to get them outside before it happens ..i set a timer for every 20 minutes or so..sounds like a pain but truly i have housebroken whole litters at the same time...as well as dozens singularly and i swear on my three day method. I would rather focus 100 percent for 3 days or so..then to drag it out for weeks and get the odor in the floor that sends the confusing messages. even tho you clean it up, unless you are using bleach, they can still smell it.

Fran27

For number 2 I just ignored. Usually turned my back on him and walked away. Yep, he was biting my pants and I got a few bruise, but he knows I'm not a chew toy now :D

The problem I had with redirecting is that he can take it as a recompense, or think that he got our attention, and we even want to play as we gave him a toy! I'm not too fond of all the redirecting methods, in my opinion it's too easy to pass the wrong message with them. Imagine a pup that loves playing outside. He pees in the house. You say 'no' and take him out. How can you know he's not going to think that peeing inside will let him play outside? Just too risky, but again it's just my opinion.

For the potty, well I take the dogs out a lot so they've never really had to tell me they had to go to be honest. If they stand next to the door, I will let them out, but they really don't do it that often.

I always take them right away after eating, and 30 minutes after drinking. Sometimes they poop one hour or two before eating, then I know I will have to take them after eating, but probably again 30 minutes later if they don't poop right afterwards.

S

stirder

why does your dad say you cant crate him untill you move? are you trying to sell the house right now? if so it would be better because crating him would cut down on his accidents.
you could try hanging a bell on the door, low enough where he can reach it. every time you take him outside, lift his paw and smack the bell with it. eventually he will smack the bell when he needs to go out.

Richie12345

Smkie- Right now he is sleeping with me on the floor. My parents installed new carpets to show the house (we're trying to get renters), and my dad doesn't want Cooper in my room. Only places that have hardwood floors which is the living room and the dining room...

Stirder- We aren't crating him right now because he is crying and the nieghbors aren't real dog people, if you know what I mean. They might complain to the cops or something like that, because Cooper is real loud

S

stirder

not arguing with you, but didnt you say he wont sleep? I assume then he isnt barking or making any noise now? in my experience most (not all by any means) pups make less noise at night when in a crate. they seem to feel more secure and safe.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I like your dog's name Richie, sorry I'm alittle late replying about it though. Cooper is a great name, my cousin's name is Cooper, lol

Richie12345

stirder said:
not arguing with you, but didnt you say he wont sleep? I assume then he isnt barking or making any noise now? in my experience most (not all by any means) pups make less noise at night when in a crate. they seem to feel more secure and safe.
He barks and howls when he is in the crate, and the nieghbors don't like dogs so I don't put him in the crate anymore at night (I will when we move into the new house). He also has gets lots of energy when it's like 11 or 12 o'clock

I don't think he really likes small places :D even tho he has a real big crate

Richie....when you do crate train him, try putting a towel or a sheet over the top of the crate. It gives it a more "den-like" atmosphere. It helped with my pup. (Just be careful because sometimes they will pull the sheet/towel into the crate and chew it) I also left a radio on at night playing soothing music.
Potty training....when I took my pup out to go, I would tell her to "go potty outside" and whenever she did, I would tell her "good potty outside" and make a fuss. Eventually it got so she would go almost right when I told her to go (using same words). I leash walked her back then. It also took her a while to bark to go outside. Sometimes she will just go to the door. Other times she will run over and just look at me like she wants something. Even if your puppy doesn't learn to bark to be let out, he will let you know in his own way. It's just going to take some time. Just make sure you take him out frequently and use the same words when you tell him to go and praise him for doing it.
As far as being awake at night....Chyna keeps going even when she is pooped. Just like a little kid that is overly tired. Get him into some kind of routine. I know you are probably going to have to put some of this off until you move. Good luck and have a lot of patience. (I know you will).

Pam

good 4 u richie. I don't go here alot now for sum strange reason prob cause I go on 4kids.com forums. I used to come here like every day now I just come here every other day. I miss chazhound now I think I'll come here every day to. I still want a dog but I'll have to wait.

Members online