Question

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I think they can see colors, but some colors are hard to see so they see in shades of blue's and yellows I think, but I really don't know.

nedim

Whatever the case, they still have impaired vision, right?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
this is what i have read..we have three nerves that vibrate making the color that we see..each nerve in our eye vibration makes up one color..megenta, yellow and cyan. those combined develop our "rainbow" of colour, exactly one tenth of the spectrum. A dog has only one nerve so what ever it vibrates makes up their vision..birds and insects can see more of the red violets then we can, there for they see more colours then we can see. The loveliest fact of all is there are 90 percent more color as rich as red or blue that is totally unimaginable to us..out there. If there is a heaven for me, i hope i can see the other 90 percent when i get there. I so adore color!
At field trials they used florescent flags to mark blind falls because it was invisible to the dogs.....
on the flip side i read that they smell 500 times more then we can and if you took the receptors out of a dogs nose and put them side by side, it would cover the entire dog..maybe it is them that feel sorry for us :D

nedim

Thats so interesting. I always find myself thinking, what would foreign colors look like?

Saje

Island dweller
I think the truth is that no one really knows. People have all sorts of theories about all animals and their vision. I know that with horses some people think they are colour blind. Others think they can see shades of blue and green to help them graze. And others think they see the same as us. I would never call any animal 'vision impaired' though unless they are near-sighted/far-sighted! They see better than me. If you've ever read Monty Robert's books you'll see that he's colour blind and it's actually served his purposes and made his vision better at night. At least that's what he believes. (He's the horse whisperer). And there are different kinds of color blind as well. Some optometrists think that I can't see different kinds of gases when they burn. Other's think that's a silly theory. If it's true I can't be an astonaut or firefighter. <shrugs> Nobody knows but there are some good theories. Same as nobody knows if the brown I see is the same brown that you see. How would we know that?

nedim

I didnt mean vision impaired as an insult. Let me rephrase"whatever the case, our vision differs"

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i had a book that showed the different ways animals saw things and why..how a frog saw more graphically because it was easier to detect movement..they know the nerve thing by observing the damage done to one nerve or the other, like when they did brain studies trying to stop seizures. they tried severing the connection between the two sides of the brain and discovered what each side was responsible for and how it communicated. For instance, if you are left handed and you hook your wrist over to write it is because your speech center is on the right side of your brain instead of the left and you have to hook your hand for some reason where if it is on the left and you are still left handed you do not hook..there is a book called drawing from the right side of the brain that explains some of that..the one that i learned my colour theory from was given to me from old boss..i had a wonderful teacher by the name of Steven Sidelinger for Color Theory at the Art Institute..he is the most incredible teacher i ever had in my entire life, my favorite artist of all. The man was color personified. I have the text that he wrote where he told all kinds of things like not only how color effects us, but how it changes as we age. When the retina gets older the color gets dimmer so older people are more attracted to brighter colors..the more subtler tones diffusing out. His book is a little treasure to me. I gave the old book that my boss gave me back to his grandaughter after he died. I didn't want to part with it, but she was planning to go to art school and i thought she should have it along with some of the brushes he gave me as well. One artist that post in the art forum Cyrille would have liked that book very much because it had painting studies in exactly the methods he describes.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I think dogs can see fewer colours than us.. I think just red and green, (but can detect motion better), but they don't need as good as vision as we do, since their sense of smell serves them the same purpose in a way. Anyway, here are a few interesting facts I found about a dog's vison:

* Dogs can see in much dimmer light than humans. This is because the central portion of a dog's retina is composed primarily of rod cells that "see" in shades of gray while human central retinas have primarily cone cells that perceive color. The rods need much less light to function than cones do.

* Dogs can detect motion better than humans can.

* Dogs can see flickering light better than humans. The only significance to this appears to be that dogs may see television as a series of moving frames rather than as a continuous scene.

* Dogs do not have the ability to focus as well on the shape of objects (their visual acuity is lower). An object a human can see clearly may appear to be blurred to a dog looking at it from the same distance. A rough estimate is that dogs have about 20/75 vision. This means that they can see at 20 feet what a normal human could see clearly at 75 feet.

-- Ohh here's an interesting page I found about dogs vision. It actually shows the colours that they can see (definately must check this out):

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/DrP4.htm

nedim

Ok, time to revive this thread.Lol, that guy in my avatar was Jimi Hendrix. No, thats not a growth, it was smoke.

bubbatd

I saved an article of years ago that showed what dogs see... I'll look for it...if I remember correctly it does have to do with reds and greens >

Members online

No members online now.