Whats considered a pit bull?

hedwig

ok im confused now!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull this is a basic link describing a certain group of dogs to be a pit bull.

But how does this wok out with the uk law against them?

A staffy is called a pit bull as well as some other less well known breeds.

Yet only a certain type of looking dog is banned yet they are all considered to be part of the same group the pit bull.

I really cant understand how they determine a pit bull in the uk. as soon as they find one or a mix even its pts asap. but what do they look for, simply looks? you can get well built staffys is that then considered a pit bull, as it is part of the pit bull family:confused:

noludoru

Bored Now.
Officially the only correct definition for "pit bull" is that it is shorthand for "American Pit Bull Terrier."

However, ignorant people have bastardized it so that it pretty much means.. well.. anything....

That's ONE of the really rotten parts of BSL. Nearly all breed specific legislation leaves the decision about whether or not a particular dog is one of the banned up to someone's opinion - all too often an opinion based on ignorance of facts and prejudice :mad:

Maxy24

A pit bull should be the short name for the American Pit Bull Terrier. BUT to the media (and therefore most people) it's anything that is brindle, has a wide head, has a red nose, has a wide chest, has cropped ears but is not a Doberman (you get what I'm saying?) It's anything that looks like an APBT. As for bans yes all they look for is looks, I believe the ban does call for specific breeds (APBT, AmStaff, American Bull dog etc.) but then adds in "any pit bull type dog or mix" which basically means anything they decide looks like a pit bull. Even if your dog is a purebred something else, if he does not have papers that prove it he can be killed. Pit bulls are not a specific group that contain specific dogs, they should not be a group at all (which is why I prefer to say bully breeds over "pit bulls" when talking about any of the dogs that tend to fall into these categories) pit bull should simply be the shortened name for the APBT (like a Labrador retriever is a Lab). Instead they are any dog of any breed or mix that look like an APBT or AmStaff. That is one of the many reasons BSL is ridiculous, some guy gets to decide what breed or mix my dog is, which they can't prove, and his decision determines if my dog lives or dies.

I've seen that Wiki cited before by anti-breed people. IMO, whoever put that together is a tool. The only "proper" way to use the term "pit bull" is to describe the American Pit Bull Terrier. If people would only use it to describe registered, purebred APBTs, we wouldn't have nearly so many reported attacks, because people would have to prove that a dog is a "pit bull," rather than just guessing.

hedwig

My way of thinking is if you cant prove its breed then they shouldnt be allowed to act. i dont agree with this law anyway but this could prove alot easyer

mrose_s

BusterLove
I know here they have a "22 point checklist" in some councils that the AC rangers do a short learning course on (about 1 day I think) which allows them to be able to determine a APBT.
SO they got set up, someone got someone with an AmStaff with papers, and video recorded the officers doing their oh so formal checklist and determing that it was in fact a pitbull.
Well when the AmStaffs papers proved it wasn't, the AmStaff was reasessed and oops, suddenly lost 20 points. How conveniant, I wonder how many pets have died because this test is such a load of BS :(

elegy

overdogged
what indeed.

basically it depends on the politicians, the animal control people, and the hysterical neighbors. if it's got a fat head and short fur, your dog's at risk.

Members online

No members online now.