Dekka video! showing that JRTs can heel with style.

What a good girl Dekka is!!! Sorry I missed you guys...we ended up not going cause Mike's knee started acting up and walking around all day on it would NOT do any good... :( Ah well next year...

Dekka

Just try me..
I figured something came up. (lol and of course Murphy's law, as I had remembered your cell phone charger :p)

Wow. I'm working with Bamm on his heeling. He tends to heel for a few steps and then will dart in front again. He doesn't pull on the leash much, but still feels the need to walk ahead of me. Any advice on how I can work with him to keep him at a heel until I release him?
Have you taught him attention work? That he is to look at you and maintain focus on you or your hand/armband/toy? Starting with that and building up the time and distractions with him just sitting would be a good start.

Then I work towards moving attention, but only in very small steps, getting into heel position and giving a few seconds of attention, or 'doodling' where you just pivot and have the dog adjust themselves. Most dogs when you start to just walk loose the game and figure it's just a walk too, so keep it very short - if he's breaking on your third step of heeling, do one step and reward, then two.... so he is getting rewarded for doing heelwork BEFORE he chooses to break off the game each time.

It's hard, I know. I have a 14 month old who is just at the 20 second stage for attention now, after months of work....

Lana

Members online

No members online now.