Anxious Dog

My 7 year old GSD has had anxiety issues since we got him 3 years ago. He licks a spot on his paw obsessively until it is raw. We give him antibiotic drops and he uses an anti-anxiety medication. We recently got a new puppy with the hope that the puppy would end up being good company for him, when the pup is older more so. Well, this isn't happening. My 7 y/o is licking worse than ever and I don't know how to help him. Any suggestions? :confused:

Paige

Let it be
Are you positive it is not al allergy?

If so is the dog tired before you leave him? My boy Spanky will eat the couches if he is left in the house without a good long romp. Tire him out and he sleeps until I get home. Just a thought,

I was thinking allergy too. My MIL's dog did the same thing. He would lick his paws until they were raw and bleeding. Come to find out he's allergic to febreeze. And he'd lick like crazy everytime she febreezed her rug.

His vet seems to think it is anxiety but I don't know. His anti-anxiety medication doesn't seem to do all that much for him to be honest. I've heard about allergies and things like that causing dogs to lick. He eats Beneful. I've tried all kinds of food for him in the past but Beneful seemed to be the only thing he would have. Is there a food that is good for allergies? I will google Bach's Rescue Remedy. Thanks for the help!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
What types of food have you tried in past.. Ones from grocery stores, or ones from feed stores that pretty much only sell food and treats. Beneful is pretty much bottom of the barrel. Check out the food forum on here.

Jynx

Beneful is not a very good food, it has alot of grains/fillers/corn , basically junk that can definately wreak havoc with a dog who has allergies.

I'd try something with no corn for a start. Diamond Lamb & Rice is pretty economical, Natural Choice, Nature's Recipe, something that doesn't have alot of grain or corn.

If he's licking the same area, it sounds like he may have a lick granuloma. Definately can be brought on by stress/anxiety and they tend to get rather compulsive about licking that spot until it's usually raw.

I'd maybe seek out a doggie dermatologist to get some ideas and suggestions.

good luck
diane

Members online

No members online now.