smelly dog...oh dear.. SMELLY dog....

Debi

OK..so I let Addie romp into the woods..her favorite thing. WELL...she came back and STINKS so bad. Not like a skunk....like as if she rolled in manure. OH......is that something normal they do????? My sweet little girl smells like major manure...............bath time tomorrow......she can't even come into the house..and that makes me so sad. But, my question.....have you ever heard of such a thing?????? Is this 'normal'.............We live by farms..so the manure would be easy. We'll probably bathe her only to have her go roll in manure again........GEEZ. Addie is in the bark mode again at night. I listened...there is SOMETHING in the woods that even I can't determine..never heard this 'noise' before..................is it gonna be a long summer.........or what??

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
hi

hi when my dog goes out he smells a bit but my mates dog always rolls in fox do and it horried and her dog follows you around like somethings wrong! Bless him any way just bath her and she will be back to the way she was!!!!!!!! :D :)

pitbulliest

You should be careful if you live on a farm and are leaving your dog outside. Sometimes there are coyotes or wolves nearby..at least where I used to live..and there were always warnings not to let your pets stay outside because they ended up being attacked and mauled to death by wild animals so be careful about that.

What Pitbulliest said! Double! Coyotes are becoming rampant in virtually every part of the continental U.S. They will pack up and kill dogs, especially during the cold months and at this time of year when they have pups to feed. Don't be fooled into thinking that a fence protects your dogs, either. One of the farmers on the road behind us almost lost his Rottie that way - from a chain link kennel! Hammie and Addie may need to learn to enjoy sleeping in the garage if they can't be trusted in the house at night, or perhaps in a circumscribed area of the house.

Make sure Addie and Hammie aren't out loose at dusk or early dawn.

Yep, Addie's probably rolling in manure, or if she really hit the jackpot, she's found some nice, fresh afterbirth to eat and then roll in. EEEEYUCK! Guess how I know? Bimmer doesn't roll in it, but the girls do from time to time, although they've been kind enough not to roll in any fresh, squishy manure. They do love to get into the mud though, and farm mud isn't necessarily created by water, if you get my drift. They're getting resigned to being hosed off while standing in their wading pool. While it's a nasty, smelly habit, it's completely normal. Nothing to worry about, just keep the hose handy!

Debi

I live in the country....... I ALWAYS worry when Addie runs into the woods. We seldom have cars.............but it is the occasional car that I worry about. Anyway.............about the smell..........OMG..it is BAD!!!!! She is so getting a bath tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Debi

Ok, you are gonna all think I've lost it..........but last night Addie was in a rage again..........barking...........it was horrible..about 3 AM this morning. She hears SOMETHING...and I have put my ear to the open window...listened for more than half an hour. I HEAR SOMETHING STRANGE, TOO. Geez...........I can't explain it..........not a hawk, not deer, not turkey. It is freakin me out...........only cause Addie is soooooooooooo crying, :mad:

When loose you never know what they might run through. Did you find out what the animal was you were hearing. I'd have to start using a leash. Let us know!

MEG126

sounds creepy to me!!! :eek: i'm going with the coyote thing... anyways let us know if you find out! :confused:

What part of the country are you in? That will give us more of an idea what might be out there. Some animals are everywhere, like the ubiquitous raccoon, the nefarious coyote, if you're south of the Mason/Dixon line there's Brer Possum, various and sundry cousins of Brother Bear are found almost everywhere, as are groundhogs and badgers. In the immortal words of Dorothy, "Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!" And of course, if you've wandered over into Wonderland you must beware the Jabberwock and the frumious Bandersnatch! Or it could be a terrible Heffalump or a Woozle, Pooh!

I haven't begun to exhaust my arcana of childhood literary references, but I will stop, even though I'm having oodles of fun (did I really just write that?).

I'm not making fun of you at all, Debi; I did think you could use a good giggle, and after you've lost another night's sleep you should be in a proper state of altered consciousness to really have a good, long giggling spell.

Seriously, call your state Wildlife Resources agency. There's generally one in each county in most states. They should be able to tell you what's likely to be lurking out there. Until you find out, though, I'd try and curtail Addie's safaris and bring the dogs in at night. Both of them, since a lone dog is terribly vulnerable.

Those can be some mean critters. We have them here, too, only ours have crossed with some real nasties imported from Russia back in the 19th century by the gentry who wished to have more sport from the pigs. Now we've got their descendants and they are an ornery bunch.

I could be some brand of wild cat, too. Or a polecat. Hopefully it is something on four legs - not two!

Are you thoroughly freaked now? Sorry. Do call the wildlife agency, and nag them if you have to.

Last edited:

Debi

Well, I went to a neighbor's house today for a little picnic and brought up the strange sound. My neighbor down the road told me that their dog was attacked by a coyote recently...thankfully, it must have gotten scared and ran off, but the dog's back was a mess with something dislocated!!! The little dog was only outside for minutes. ALSO...and this isn't even legal..there is a man with a camp that comes around some weekends down that way who has been feeding a bear cub. How smart is that???!!! They were also having a big bear eating their trash. They shot over it's head the other day, and so far it hasn't come back. Now, I'm nervous. I live in southwestern PA...in the country completely surrounded by woods. I've never even thought of this before!!! Usually black bear will go the other direction when they detect you. The coyote thing is a whole different matter. I did find out you can shoot them anytime, tho. :eek:

Yep, time for the dogs to come in at night. Time for the camper to be turned in for feeding the bear, and definitely time to talk to the wildlife people.

There are lots and lots of critters in your area; it's populated like ours is here.

It's not as easy as it sounds to shoot a coyote. They're quick, wary and they blend in perfectly with their surroundings. And they're smart.

Whatever you do, don't let Addie - or Hammie for that matter - out loose early in the morning or near dusk. That's when coyotes tend to hunt, along with night time, although they will hunt in the daytime if they feel safe. If you hear howling that sounds like beagles on speed, that's coyotes.

Debi

Your right...no more running loose. As far as the howling sound..that's hard because some distance away (but close enough to hear at night) I have a neighbor that has a sled team of huskys...sometimes they get to howling. It is sort of funny when it creeps me out on a dark winter night..they sound like wolves. I spent a great deal of time bathing smelly Addie yesterday. She looks beautiful!!! She was so happy..I think even she was sorry for how bad she smelled. :eek: Then a bath for Hammie. I ended up being the one smelling like the dog til I hit the shower. I am going to have a hissy fit over the man feeding the bear. I HATE when people do stupid things like that.....then leave. Hey, I live here...thanks buddy! We've already had the 'porcupine incident', and that was enough for me. I just want the wild life to stay in the wild. Quiet night last night.....let's hope it has moved on.

The coyotes are more frenetic and frenzied sounding with a higher pitch than Huskies will generally be. I hate it when they wake me up in the middle of the night because it's so hard to tell how close they are and there's always a cow bawling, making me wonder if they've grabbed a new calf. We haven't seen any sign that they've gotten to any of ours, but they cut through our neighbor's pasture all the time, so I tend to think it's one of his cows bawling. But I still hate the thought that a baby calf might have met it's end that way.

Members online

No members online now.