is my doggy too little?

poeluvr

this is lea. My new pup im getting is gonna be six weeks, thats when the breeder says for me to take him. Is that to young? is there anything that i can do to make him feel better when he arrives. :rolleyes:

poeluvr

i feel bad

me neither but this is when sh'e giving him to me. I feel bad about taking him from his mother so young. Real bad

Saje

Island dweller
It doesn't sound like a very reputable breeder and you might want to reconsider where you get your pup from. If they also haven't done health tests she might have health problems as well. There's more information in the breeding section. Check on the stickied thread on reputable breeders.

I know you probably already have your heart set on that puppy so maybe you can ask if it can stay with it's mom for two more weeks. It may not seem like a very long time but it does make a difference. They do learn a lot from their moms and siblings in that time.

showpug

Hate to say it, but sounds like your breeder does not have this pups best interest in mind. Puppies need to stay with their mom and littermates for a ton of different reasons and before 8 weeks is just too young. I agree with the previous post that stated that you should re-think this purchase. If you are absolutley going to go through with it, I would get that pup around as many different people as possible and start obedience classes at 12 weeks, so your pup can start learining some play social skills with the other pups. It is a warning to me when a breeder sends puppies that are 6 weeks...makes me think that they only have $ on their mind and not the welfare of their dogs. :( Make sure you get a health agreement and find out what type of health screens have take place on the parents etc. Good luck. :)

poeluvr

well apparently she had it by mistake, its real cheap so i don't think its the money but i onno. she expresses how she only wants the best home for it and that so many people want him. i onno what to do , i really like this doggy.
ive been so excited ive been counting down the days

poeluvr

im asking her how old it will be when we get it to make sure, but im pretty sure it will be 6 weeks, it was born april 11, and i will be getting it may 22

poeluvr

i really want this dog...i would be more concerned about the breeder but i know she didnt mean to have them she just wants to get rid of them...another person said they also reccomend 8 weeks, but the got theres at 6 and just mushed food up with milk and it was fine. i will also look into that obedience clASS to socialize him more,,, i think im gonna call him bambi
anymore comments would be greatly apprechiated

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
Hello,
I would reccomend 8 weeks. I would ask her if you could wait 2 more weeks from the time you were normally gonna get him or her and tell her you heard it would be better to wait till 8 weeks and you want to do whats best for the puppy. Just hope she doesn't get mad. If it were me i wouldn't get mad i would be happy cause then i would know that you were gonna be a really good owner if cared so much to make sure 6 weeks wasn't to early. A lot of breeders around were i live wait 6 weeks to. We were gonna buy a beagle puppy (that was adorable) and he was from a breeded but he was gonna be 6 weeks and that was to early to take him from the mother.
Mandy
PS:Good luck!

showpug

Sounds like she not really a "breeder." If you have your heart set on this dog then get it, but you will just need to put a ton of work into proper socialization and training classes etc. to ensure a happy, social and well adjusted adult dog. Puppies really should be able to eat hard kibble by the time they come home. If your pup can't, then I would recommend you mositen the kibble until it becomes spongy and then mash it so it can be eaten easier. There is always canned food, but I have found that moistened hard kibble keeps their stool firmer...just an FYI. Good luck. :) I would also invest in a really good quality food to start this little one off. Visit http://naturapet.com to choose one!

With a pup that's taken from it's mom and littermates too early you're likely to run into problems with biting and nipping for quite awhile. Bite inhibition is something that they should be learning from mom in those last couple of weeks. It will also probably take longer to housetrain him than it normally would.

Please, please, tell me the parent dogs weren't littermates? :eek:

You are more likely to end up with behavioral problems. I know some who got her puppy at FIVE WEEKS OLD. At that age, the puppy should be with it's mother and littermates, enjoying it's mother's warm milk.

Barb04

Super Moderator
When looking into getting our new puppy, many of the breeders (reputable ones) did give the puppies to their new owners between 6 and 8 weeks old. You seem to really want this puppy and are willing to take good care of it. If you didn't take the puppy, the breeder would find someone else. In a way, with your willingness to do whatever you can for a 6 week old puppy, I would say the puppy is in good hands with you. Maybe you could give a call to your vet to see what you would need to do for such a young puppy. Please keep us updated. P.S. I do like the name Bambi.

poeluvr

thanku so much 4 ur comments..i dont know what to do?
i don't want him to be too young........
but the other new owners r coming to get its brothers and sisters the same day...i onno

bubbatd

It seems to me the "breeder" doesn't want to pay for the puppy shots/ worm tests etc. This also is a very important two week period , so the "breeder" needs to spend at least 20 minutes a day one on one with each puppy. See if the "breeder" will let you pay for the shots etc and keep the pup with it's mom 2 more weeks.....visit often to do interaction as obviously he/she want to get rid of litter. Buy the book " How to Raise A Puppy You Can live with " ....Rutherford and Neil.

I think that you shouldn't get the puppy from there. Obviously the breeder doesn't really care about the pups and just wants o make some $. I think the puppy might be in bad condition, and is too young to be taken away from her mom. I suggest finding another puppy, even though this one IS adorable

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I got my lab puppy at like a few days under 8 weeks. My hubby knew nothing about waiting until eight weeks when he picked her up from his friends house. I don't know if you guys think those few days would make a HUGE difference but I sure do. Even though I get her out around other dogs and people she is still a little scared of other dogs besides mine. She LOVES all people though, doesn't matter who you are or what you look like. She's getting a little better with other dogs though, she actually went up to the Yorkie (Bach) next door and sniffed him and let him sniff her. Usually she would run away and cower behind me or one of my dogs.

Members online

No members online now.