What do think the deal is?

Amstaffer

I have an American Staffordshire (4yrs old and intact) that has an odd behavior that I was reminded of when I was tell a story on another post here.

This behavior is common in submissive dogs and puppies. He licks the faces of other dogs almost obsessively. The odd part of this behavior is that in every other signal he gives to other dogs is Dominant. His stance, Tail, eyes and behavior point to a Dominant (but not aggressive) dog. He never submits to other dogs and this has made some seemingly nice dogs aggressive toward him.

Some dogs are really upset by it and have actually went after him. luckly he ignores their attacks and he just thinks they are playing. But it is still dangerous for him and scares me. Most dogs ignore him or play right along.

I think it his attempt to force other dogs to play with him but have any of you seen this behavior? Any guess what he is thinking? His best friend is my nieghbor's pitbull who seems to love the behavior and they play like crazy.

Yes! We've had multiple dogs that do this! But usually it's an act of love, not dominance or submissiveness or whatever. But weird thing is, it's usually when the dog being licked is sick. Like, my Mom's Bubba used to lick all over his mamma's face when she was dying of a brain tumor. And Hunter used to lick all over Eli's face when he was dying of cancer :( And I mean lick excessively whereas their faces -- especially eyes, ears, and in the mouth -- were soaked!

oriondw

user not active
I've seen this behavior alot. I dont know, maybe other dogs cant read the signs correctly. My dog is extremely dominant and when we used to go to parks we had some problems with other dominant dogs, but any dog that started licking him was immedeatly put on submissive list and he just ignored them. Even played with them sometimes.

I guess the behavior is normal and the fault is not with you, but with other dogs.

Members online

No members online now.