help...my dog ate some chocolate syrup

polag

My husband and I brought a chocolate fudge sundae back from dairy queen tonight and my goldie poo Mikey got into the left overs in the bottom of the container accidentely left on the kitchen counter. I don't think he licked much before my husband caught him but now I'm worried as I've heard about chocolate being bad for dogs. Does anyone know if it has the same affect as real chocolate?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
How big is Mikey? Most likely he'll be fine as the amount of cacao and theobromide should be pretty small since it's fake chocolate. If he starts panting, pacing, vomiting or acting more hyper than usual, then give your vet a call.

Mmm, that does sound good right now.

polag

Hi...mikey is 1 year old and 72 pounds. I hope that helps. Thanks for your response.

cata.m

chocolate is bad for them, but if he just licked the leftovers he´ll be alright.
this is what i found, so you can have an idea of how much is toxic...
"If a 50-pound dog eats a teaspoonful of milk chocolate, it's not
going to cause serious problems. However, if that same dog gorges himself on a two-layer chocolate cake, his stomach will feel more than upset and soon it's likely he'll be vomiting or experiencing diarrhea."
so, i would say your dog is quite safe...
:D:D:D

cata.m

the less harming chocolate is the white chocolate. milk chocolate also contains theobromine,wich is a naturally occurring stimulant found in the cocoa bean. this stuff increases urination and affects the central nervous system as well as heart muscle. While amounts vary by type of chocolate, it's the theobromine that is poisonous to dogs.
this is something to give you an idea:
How Much Chocolate Is Deadly?
* White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
* Milk chocolate: 1 ounce per pound of body weight. Approximately one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to a 20-pound dog; one-half pound for a 10-pound dog. The average chocolate bar contains 2 to 3 ounces of milk chocolate. It would take 2-3 candy bars to poison a 10 pound dog. Semi-sweet chocolate has a similar toxic level.
* Sweet cocoa: 0.3 ounces per pound of body weight. One-third of a pound of sweet cocoa is toxic to a 20-pound dog; 1/6 pound for a 10-pound dog.
* Baking chocolate: 0.1 ounce per pound body weight. Two one-ounce squares of bakers' chocolate is toxic to a 20-pound dog; one ounce for a 10-pound dog.

Members online