Your Dogs Name: Why You Chose The Dog Name You Did

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ame: Japanese for Rain or Candy since she was going to be named Truffle but it just didn't fit.
Mojo: My brother named him... So I dunno
Izzy: Was supposed to be a boy puppy named after Izzy(Izumi) from Digimon but when Justin picked out a girl dog it became Izzy for Isabelle.

Past Pets:
Rocky: the black chow named after the movie I believe
Frebase:.... The white chow which I believe my father named as a joke (Frebase= street name for a drug)
Nikki: the black lab I named for no apparent reason
Copper: the golden after the Fox and the Hound
Sally: the dobe mix who was often afraid and slithered ont he ground like a salamander
Sherman: the gsd mix came pre-named from the shelter and it suited him
Kujo: the maltese/cocker/poodle mix was so named because my mother thought is would be amusing

Seger...........hmmmmm guess!

We were waiting to bring Seger home, and still didn't have a name for him. We went to see a concert in October.........drumroll..........Bob Seger! and it stuck!

So the registered name is "insert Kennel name here" Ramblin' Gamblin' Man and his name is Seger. We always call him Seger Bob though.
:lol-sign:

M

MyHorseMyRules

My sister came up with the name Raja. I'd been trying to think of something, and as soon as I said that name... It stuck. lol Couldn't think of anything else that suited her.

Tempie... Well, she was named Temporary because she was supposed to be just temporary. And my fellow chazzers thought it would be funny to call her Temporary. Probably just because they knew I'd keep her.

Paige

Let it be
Spanky is a little rascal. I was going to call him rascal but Spanky seemed more cheeky. Bandit came with his name. Miles came with her name.

stace1319

:)

I gave shyanne her name because I loved the name and I soon as I saw her it seemed to fit her. She was a bit shy for a long time. Harley was about the same. The name just popped into my mind when I saw him. My fiance didn't like the name at first but after he drove him home he decided that it was a good fit fir him so it stuck.

goosey

When i was on my way to get Mac i was really excited i was trying to think of names, i said maybe i should call it Mac weather it's a girl or a boy, i didn't think i actually would.

I got her in Darwin about three hours from Katherine, so we had to stop and get a towel and stuff for the back seat. McDonalds was across the road from the supermarket so we went in there first i sat her on my lap and ate outside. A McDonalds worker came out and said she was really cute, she asked what her name was i said i didn't know because i just got her. After she went in side i thought about it Mac just looked like a Mac and we were at Maca's. So i took it as a sign and named her Mac.

On the trip home she slept on my lap and pile of pillows, when she woke up she came straight over to me and peed on my lap. That was gross but she was the cutest puppy. ever.

ron

southern fried mush
Shadow's name was given on his purchase papers. He was originally bought by friends at a pet store. Anyway, his name seemed to fit and I never saw a need to change it. However, my nickname for him, that I whisper in his ear when he is on my lap is Pretty Boy.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
I haven't read through all of these yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I just wanted to share Morgan's story first. :)

When we found our little 10-week old puppy at the shelter, he was listed with the name "Rocky". Well, my husband and I didn't think that fit him at all, so in the two days before we actually brought him home, we got to work thinking of a name for him.

We came up with "Roland" (brand of piano... we're music nerds, we actually had this name in mind before we even met him) and "Cooper" (after the other Manning brother). We couldn't decide between those two names, so we decided we would let the puppy show us which name he fit better when we brought him home.

So brought the puppy home, and 24 hours later NEITHER name fit him AT ALL. We were SOOOO frustrated, too! Lol! So we went back to thinking up names, but we were completely stuck.

There was snow on the ground that weekend, and while taking him outside to potty he would try to sit on our feet, much like a baby penguin. We thought it was cute, so we tried to think of penguin names.

We had just watched "Happy Feet" for the first time a few weeks prior, so we almost named him "Mumble". It was close, but still didn't sound quite right. Then we were REALLY frustrated, because we couldn't think of any other penguin movies... except for "March of the Penguins". But none of the penguins have names in that movie! There is nothing we could use to name this puppy from "March of the Penguins"! There is only the narrator... Morgan Freeman.

Oh.

So the puppy was named Morgan, right then and there. And it's perfect for him. :D We kept his shelter name as a middle name, Morgan Rocky, but we don't use his full name very often.

Morgan honestly was the hardest pet we ever had to name. With our cats, Whitacre and Ticheli, we had those names picked out YEARS in advance. Our pre-picked naming worked out pretty well then. It was really annoying when we couldn't call Morgan by a name for the first day or two.

(Sorry that is such a long story... but I will always enjoy it! :))

milos_mommy

That's a cool story about Morgan...so he's kinda named after Morgan Freeman!

I have a bunch more names picked out. If I ever get a deaf dog I want to name it Keller (boy or girl) after Helen.

corgi_love

Regis- I just thought it was unique and would be really cute on a dog, and it was :)
Kyrie- I read the name on my boyfriends video game but I liked my pronounciation better, anyway I fell in love with it!

Inu(cat)- It took weeks to name her, I knew I wanted a japanese name so I did a TON of translating and finally Travis suggested we look up dog, and the second I read "Inu" I just knew xD
Twincy(cat)- There was a gal who went by this name on a forum many years ago and I just thought of it after I adopted her and decided to keep it :D

bambam

I had a special pit girl name Pebbles my wife named here cause she said her brindle pattern reminds her of a bunch of pebbles so it stuck so when I lost here it hurt me alot couldn't forget her and finally one day i got my pit bull and we named him Bam Bam so I had pebbles and Bam Bam like the Flinstones haha. He is a really good boy love him to death but, I will never forget her she was a special girl :(

Hillside

Original Twin
Saga was named in honor of Iceland. My ex and I had gone there on a trip about 6months before we brought her home. The Icelandic are REALLY into their sagas and there are many things that are named Saga something, we even stayed at the Hotel Saga. About a month before we got Soggy dog, I broached getting another dog to Ryan and suggested Saga as a name. I was being subversive, because NOW future dog had an actual name and was less of a concept. Heee.

When I went to the shelter and saw the dog formerlly known as Shiloh, I said Saga and her ears perked up and she trotted right over. Fortunately, the name suits her.

Her ILP name is "Riecor's Rainy Day Saga", which also suits her as it was raining when we brought her home

dukha11

Hannah means "flower" in Japanese I believe.... though I honestly forget which language. She was so pretty and so dainty and seriously needed to heal and I needed to heal and I thought we could help each other.

Sojourn

What a neat thread (hint, I'm new)! We just got a Goldendoodle a few months ago. He's now 8 months and we named him Apollo. My husband wanted a Greek name - not sure why - and he wanted it to mean something. We chose Apollo because he was the god of sun and light (we live in Arizona) and truth and prophecy.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Hannah means "flower" in Japanese I believe.... though I honestly forget which language. She was so pretty and so dainty and seriously needed to heal and I needed to heal and I thought we could help each other.
Yes, Hana does mean flower in Japanese. It's a pretty name and I've considered Americanizing it for my future daughter. :)

maybe532

When I brought Lucy home my husband named her even though I wanted to name her Emma.
With Koda, I had known a pair of dogs named Bear and Koda. In my mind I thought Koda meant bear and when she was 9 weeks old she looked like a little bear cub, the name Koda just stuck.
With our cat, Isabel, I just loved the name and would have named our future kid that but we didn't know if there were any other kids in our future.
The dog we are getting in a few weeks is named Ruby. I got her as a present for my mom 10 years ago and we had the hardest time naming her. We had her weeks before my mom chose the name Ruby.

This is a great topic by the way!

v-girl

We got Silver when she was 7 weeks old. She is a black lab/husky mix, that looks exactly like a black lab, except for a small white line on her chest, hence, Silver lining.

The breeder named him Hercules for being the biggest of the bunch of Huskies, so we named him Brut. He has lived up to the name!

We have 4 pups from a litter of pups from Brut and Silver:

Zappa and Fiona after two of our favorite singers, which we picked out before they were born; Frank Zappa and Fiona Apple

The two other pups were returned back to us. Blaze was orignally named for the white blaze down her nose, the new owners changed it and after we got her back, we changed it back to Blaze and she always responded to it. And we kept Chance's name finding it very fitting we were given a second blessed chance with him.

Lacey was named after a my moms good friends Coyote she had. It was her husbands dog whom she turned to the pound after he passed because she didnt trust anyone but me and him. Unfortunately i was still living with my mom at the time and my mom said NO WAY. When her friend realized the mistake she made, she went back but Lacey was already adopted :( I can only pray she went to a good home. I loved her so much, and we had such a connection. Ill never ever forget her. My first girl when i moved out was named Lacey.

Buddy we found, never found the owners. We couldnt think of a name but kept saying "hey buddy". It stuck..and he caught on super quick. It actually wouldnt surprise me if it was his name originally.

Athebeau

The Newf's were already named by the breeder as she picked their call names. We didn't get the Newf's until they finished their show career. My Rottweiler Athena when I rescued her her name was zena...the name Athena rhymed and I love that name. Beau my Dobe mix, I rescued him off the side of the road malnourished and starved so I took him immediatly to the vet. While I was waiting I was looking through a dogs in canada book and the name Beau jumped out at me. That's what I put on his file and I decided to keep him as no one claimed him. Chance was rescued by my brother after a girl saved a litter of pups from a farmer neighbor who was going to drown the entire litter. So, Chance was a basically given as it was by chance we got her LOL and I don;t like the name lucky! LOL

Members online

No members online now.