Let's Talk Humping

Maxy24

Luckily Tucker has only ever humped his stuffed teddy bears but I work at a doggy daycare/boarding facility and humping is a daily struggle there. In camp the other day I had a male foxhound who was being assaulted by about 8 different dogs. Humping is never allowed in camp but unless it's starting fights we don't kick dogs out because of it, we just stop it when we see it. I did have to kick out the great dane that was humping the hound because he was crushing the poor thing and making him scream. But I basically spent the entire day protecting this poor dog. When the other dogs did finally get the message to stop humping they would still obsess over him, two of them started sucking and nibbling on his ears (which I also had to stop because they were actually starting to chew on them), lots of them were licking at his private parts.

I know people say humping isn't usually sexual, but is that really always true? I mean this foxhound is always a target of humping, dogs that I've never seen hump (like that great dane) were going for him. What is it that makes some dogs such targets? We also have a lab who is frequently targetted (and she gets super mad about it). And it's not like the humpers seem to enjoy themselves either, they're panting, drooling, their are eyes bugging out, they won't play, they just obsess over whoever they want to hump. They look like anxious messes. Take out the humpee and they are back to their normal happy selves. Sometimes we have dogs that are just humpers, they hump everyone. That I can see as being anxiety, excitement, stress, etc. But lots of times it'll be a dog that is obsessing over a single dog. What causes this?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I dunno. But Hank ONLY humps great pyrs and newfs and other giant fluffy dogs. No idea why but he loses his mind around them.

That's weird. I had no idea that dogs would have a hump fest with one target dog. Ryker usually humps dogs he meets for the first time and doesn't seem to discriminate between sex or breed, but stops once he's told off. He doesn't hump objects or people and he's intact.

DJEtzel

I don't know what causes it and I doubt anyone will ever figure it out. lol.

I work at a daycare type of facility, and we have all sorts of humping problems. Some dogs are notorious for humping and have new targets every day, or focus on the same dog and we split them into different groups. They have good days and bad days, and sometimes a notorious humper could hump one dog and start a humping cycle - probably a hormone release?

There are some dogs that always seem to be getting humped, but usually it is all completely random. There is a lot of humping, but most is not from a notorious humper or to a notorious humpee. lol.

Yesterday a husky mix that is usually fine targetted a 12 year old golden and would not leave her alone. He had to be tethered or crated and rotated for most of the morning. It's the first time he's ever targetted her, and they're together one or two days a week with no problem - he's also not a notorious humper, but occasionally he'll fixate on someone and do this.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I also work at a daycare and boarding facility, and we have similar issues. There are specific dogs who are perpetual hump magnets every time they stay with us. There are serial humpers who go after anyone. There are dogs who never hump or get humped but somehow set everyone else off with their mere presence. Brisbane never ever humps other dogs unless their is a bitch in season nearby, or that one dog is at daycare.

amberdyan

So weird. Hugo has humped two different aussies, but luckily that's it. The one, though, I have to call him away if he's at the dog park because they will take turns gleefully humping each other.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Maybe a UTI going on for the dogs that are big targets, especially suddenly? I know UTIs can make them smell similar to an in heat female.

Members online

No members online now.