Breed guesses for Finn

Picklepaige

Laurelin's thread gave me inspiration to post this!

I am super curious about what breeds Finn has in him. He was listed at the shelter as an "Akita mix" and I have had at least three separate people ask me if he was an Akita. I don't see any at all, and he acts nothing like what I imagine an Akita would act like, so I don't pay much attention to that guess.

He weighs 50 pounds.
21'' at the shoulder.
He has a double coat, but not a very thick one, and blows coat rather than shedding year round.
He has zero aggression in his body. Thinks every living creature was put on this earth to pet him or play with him. Loves strangers, children, dogs, cats, and plays very gently with my rats.
He does, however, have a very large chase instinct. If a cat is running, he is going to chase it, though if he ends up cornering it he just noses it and paws at it.
He "zones out" while smelling very easily. It is really hard to get him to focus outside, and if he catches a scent then he becomes deaf.
Like I said, not very handler focused. We've been working hard on just getting him to glance in my direction while in a new area.
OBSESSED with food. OBSESSED.
I wouldn't call him "soft" or "hard"-he's definitely somewhere in the middle.
Medium energy level. Will go hours during a hike, but chills just fine inside. He will pace if we haven't done anything all day, though.

And pictures!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Multi-generational Mississippi mutt. Haha

Seriously, though. I doubt he's just a mix of two or three breeds. Especially with the amount of Cur/Catahoula/Lab/Pit/Husky/Shepherd things people breed down here.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah he is a HARd one to try to peg. I swear every pic reminds me of a different breed. Maybe some herder x spitz x labby x other stuff?

JacksonsMom

I really wish he was a breed because I'd like a clone copy of him lol. I always swoon over Finn.

I kind of see BC, Husky, Pit, Lab-ish thing. :rofl1:

Picklepaige

I know what you mean, I see something different every time I look at him! I think blackrose is right and he is just a mix of every common breed from here under the sun, but I like having a little bit of an idea!

And JacksonsMom, he is a really neat looking dog. I don't think I've ever seen another dog that looks quite like him.

Torch

I see a lot of different breeds in him too; I definitely think he's a multigenerational mutt.

I see a lot of lab and hound, but I don't really see APBT.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Labby something! I see lab in a number of the photos, but the other possible mixes change depending on the angle LOL

JacksonsMom

Something about his face here looks pit-ish to me, but I could be wayyy off base.

I see Basenji too lol. But don't know how likely that is.

RD

Are you dead yet?
He screams basenji mix to me, but that's unlikely.

He doesn't look too far off from the super-mixed street dogs I saw a lot of in mexico. Quite probably he's an ultramutt. :D

Torch

The width of his forehead, the position of his eyes, the length of his stop, his under jaw, his cheeks; not quite APBT/AST proportions. His nose leather and muzzle really look lab to me.

Picklepaige

I can definitely get behind the lab guess. His face does look labby to me, and it would explain his love of all things and his coat color. But I do wonder where his ears come from. I can't think of any breed with prick ears that he reminds me of.

RD, I have had a couple of people tell me they think he looks like a basenji. Like you said, not very likely, but the resemblance is there, I think.

amberdyan

Ears are the one thing that I think make him look so unique. After RD mentioned it, I think I can possibly see basenjii as well. But I've only been around 1, and one mix so I'm not sure I'd recognize it.

Am I the only one that sees ACD? I agree with the masses that he's probably a multi-generational mutt, but I could be convinced that there is lab, husky, ACD, BC, and maybe some pit/bully breed.

eruscanis

ABPT owner
Something about his face here looks pit-ish to me, but I could be wayyy off base.
Agreed. A lot of shelters-rightly or wrongly-would have labelled him as a "pit-mix". Though research suggests that half of "pit-mixes" at shelters have no pitbull ancestry.
I think in this guy's case, appearances alone can't tell us what he truly is.

Members online