Urgent Dogs - Do you crosspost?

Do you crosspost urgent dogs on FB?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • I'm hungry, but it's too late to eat anything...

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

Airn

I 'share' my local rescues stuff. That's about it. Most of the people around me don't want/need a dog, but I know they love animals so they can 'share'. I don't have a lot of friends, so I don't really think I'm saving any dog's lives' by doing it, it's just something that can't hurt. I'm not saying "OMG SAVE THIS DOG NAO." Especially if it's not in my area. Oh, there's a pit bull about to be euthanized in NYC? That's not really new. And it's not something I can stop. I can't save THAT dog. If it's in my local shelter, I might consider posting it.

I had a relative who doesn't live near me ask my dad to give her one of the puppies and local rescue is fostering. Uhh.... no... I can't ship you a foster puppy. (I seriously doubt she would be an ideal owner for it. And I doubt the rescue is comfortable sending a random person in GA a puppy.)

Like others said, I don't want to spam my friends with poor dogs they can't help. It's like the people who 'share' and 'forward' all the cancer kid stuff. I really don't want to see that. Call me horrible, but I don't get on my Facebook to see stuff like that.

Maybe because I have many local rescue friends? I don't do it constantly; I mostly just share whenever my shelter's "pets at risk" page is updated, and I do share pictures my shelter posts of dogs and cats, even though they're not urgent most of the dog. I don't *think* I do it enough to be annoying. I just really bond with and love all the animals at my shelter, and I try to do everything I can to get them into good homes.
That to me is different, you are directly involved in the rescue and have contacts from it and in the area. It's not a dog you happened to see and cross post every couple hours that is located somewhere in America and needs to be saved URGENTLY!!

crazedACD

Nope.
The vast majority are guilt trippy, vague and impossible causes with unknown histories from high intake shelters..somewhere. and of course it's all rushed and the dog needs to be out in like 24 minutes.
I tried to help with a few of these. Got burned too many times...the whole process is so much more involved (and expensive) than anyone encouraging you would have you believe. The last one was the worst, and I won't do anything that isn't local again.

Picklepaige

That to me is different, you are directly involved in the rescue and have contacts from it and in the area. It's not a dog you happened to see and cross post every couple hours that is located somewhere in America and needs to be saved URGENTLY!!
Ohh, okay, that does make sense. I too get kind of bothered when people literally post nothing but blurry pictures of black dogs hiding in a corner with the label "scared aggressive dog will be pts this afternoon please share" and it's located on the other side of the country. I just mean I share pictures of animals I can realistically help with, or at least know people who can help with, and many of these animals I personally have interacted with several times and know what kind of temperament they have.

I'm sorry, I can get very hot-headed and obnoxious about rescue, as I'm certain everyone here has noticed ;) I probably read your post as "I hate people who post pictures of dogs in need and I will block them on the first offense and I hate rescue dogs and eat them for breakfast."

:eek:

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
By that logic no dog that goes into a shelter should leave it alive. you will never be able to save them all and there are always going to be rotten homes out there....
Doesn't mean I can't try to save as many as I can. I am a long time regular volunteer at the shelter I crosspost for, and I get to see updates on many of the dogs we've saved. Most of them are in very good, happy homes.
:confused: I think you both must be confused by what this thread is about, maybe I didn't word it properly or something. I am specifically referring to the "urgent" dogs that are posted with "THIS DOG WILL DIE IN 24 HOURS IF SOMEONE, ANYONE AT ALL, DOESN'T ADOPT IT!!!!!" When someone decides they want a dog, goes to a shelter, gets to know a dog and learns about it's temperament, etc. then decides to adopt it, that is a very different thing from someone (who may not have even wanted a dog and may not be a very good dog owner) seeing a FB post saying that a dog is going to die and deciding spur of the moment to "save" said dog. Sure it could work out ok, but it can turn into a really bad situation for dog and adopter. I am not some evil dog killer who thinks no one should try and rescue dogs. I am someone who is trying to be realistic and responsible about the kind of rescuing I promote.

Eeewww, eat a rescue dog?? I only eat pureblooded breeder dogs. You don't know where those rescues have been. :p

Picklepaige

I know, I know, that was an awful thing to imply. But now I'm confused, because I'm getting one of those fancy newfangled stuck up fullblooded breeder dogs soon, and I was going to eat him for breakfast to show how much I hate his kind. I didn't know eating actually equaled love.

Now what do I do :(

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
:confused: I think you both must be confused by what this thread is about, maybe I didn't word it properly or something. I am specifically referring to the "urgent" dogs that are posted with "THIS DOG WILL DIE IN 24 HOURS IF SOMEONE, ANYONE AT ALL, DOESN'T ADOPT IT!!!!!" When someone decides they want a dog, goes to a shelter, gets to know a dog and learns about it's temperament, etc. then decides to adopt it, that is a very different thing from someone (who may not have even wanted a dog and may not be a very good dog owner) seeing a FB post saying that a dog is going to die and deciding spur of the moment to "save" said dog. Sure it could work out ok, but it can turn into a really bad situation for dog and adopter. I am not some evil dog killer who thinks no one should try and rescue dogs. I am someone who is trying to be realistic and responsible about the kind of rescuing I promote.
There are people on my who are involved in dogs and rescue, and sometimes can foster or at least transport or something. I've honestly never known anyone who was not involved in dogs at all to randomly decide to adopt a rescue because it was urgent. If the dog is in my region and I know I could give it some exposure I don't see a problem with sharing it. I think the likelihood that someone on my facebook who should not have a dog will randomly and suddenly decide that they need THAT dog is pretty low, and heck, the right person might see it and be able to help.

Saeleofu

Incredibly rarely I will crosspost a dog in rescue in a foster home with some decent pictures, a good character bio, known history/temperament who just needs some exposure and has TIME.

That's what I do. Tango was on Facebook and several of my friends shared him (though it didn't matter, he ended up with a chazzer :D). When someone I know has a foster or a dog that needs a place, I'll cross post those. That's about it.

I know, I know, that was an awful thing to imply. But now I'm confused, because I'm getting one of those fancy newfangled stuck up fullblooded breeder dogs soon, and I was going to eat him for breakfast to show how much I hate his kind. I didn't know eating actually equaled love.

Now what do I do :(
I like the breeder culls. That way you know where they came from but you're not only getting nourishment but also helping by not allowing them to reproduce.

Picklepaige

Ooh good idea, I forgot about the $1/lb special that was going on with oversized pups.

Thanks for the help. We may be mortal enemies in this epic breeder vs rescue war, but at least we can agree on eating the flesh of our victims.

:)

Back on a serious note, I did read the thread wrong, CatStina. I apologize for that!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It's funny going local, most of my friends are not local on my FB.

I have a friend who posts probably 5-10 a day, I don't mind and breeze over them. If I didn't like her well enough I would probably delete her. I have another who does the same number of text photos and ee cards, etc. That actually annoys me more but sometimes they make me laugh and I think, eh to each their own. I post more photos of my dogs than most want to see. lol

While flooding seems counterproductive I can't look at a broken senior in a shelter, I wish I could save them and if there is a tiny chance my cross posting a senior will actually assist in finding it a rescue to pull it, sob story or not, it's worth it to me.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
There are people on my who are involved in dogs and rescue, and sometimes can foster or at least transport or something. I've honestly never known anyone who was not involved in dogs at all to randomly decide to adopt a rescue because it was urgent. If the dog is in my region and I know I could give it some exposure I don't see a problem with sharing it. I think the likelihood that someone on my facebook who should not have a dog will randomly and suddenly decide that they need THAT dog is pretty low, and heck, the right person might see it and be able to help.
Whatever you say. When I see dogs, like the one I posted in the venting thread, who have a rating of "red" and are described as having "severe aggression," "try(ing) to bite," and "not allow(ing) handling" being shared thousands of times with thousands of dollars pledged towards his rescue and people begging to "please give him a chance for love" and saying that "he just wants to be loved," I have a hard time thinking anything good can come out of the situation. If it makes me an evil dog killer not to share him and others like him, so be it.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Whatever you say. When I see dogs, like the one I posted in the venting thread, who have a rating of "red" and are described as having "severe aggression," "try(ing) to bite," and "not allow(ing) handling" being shared thousands of times with thousands of dollars pledged towards his rescue and people begging to "please give him a chance for love" and saying that "he just wants to be loved," I have a hard time thinking anything good can come out of the situation. If it makes me an evil dog killer not to share him and others like him, so be it.
But I was NOT talking about THAT situation. At all. Nobody said you were an evil dog killer, I just said that I didn't get the logic of "You can't save them all and there is a chance they could end up in the wrong home so it's not responsible to share it." Not sure how you got "evil dog killer" out of that....

If there is a dog in my area who I think might be helped by exposure on facebook, I'll share it. If that makes me a bleeding heart, so be it, there are definitely worse things to be in life, and definitely more meaningless stuff on my news feed on facebook.

Lyzelle

Nope. And I hate getting spammed with them too. Generally, they are vague, assuming, and unrealistically placed across the country with a very limited time limit. Let alone the fact that I wouldn't want anyone on my facebook to have a dog anyway.

If there is a dog person I know that I think might have resources or the desire to find that right dog, I will send fosters to them privately. But I don't randomly post junk on my facebook, nor do I feel like adding to the general problem with posting crap on facebook.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
No.

I have my own fosters to deal with.

And besides... after the dog is saved, no one cares anymore. I have had two fosters that came through, originally, as urgent crossposts. And they happened to be the two fosters I had the longest.

But out of those two, the one that really sticks in my mind is Katie the 12 year old pitbull, who spent 11 YEARS - ELEVEN YEARS - in a shelter. Boo hoo, someone save her, someone pull her, boo hoo. So we did. And guess what? Once she was out of that shelter, everyone forgot about her. I fostered her for six months, and she died. Didn't get a single application, didn't get a single interested glance.

I don't know. Maybe I'm bitter, maybe I'm burnt out - but it did (and still does) make me angry that once those urgent dogs are saved from the needle, people cease to care. Out of the hundreds of people who wanted to see Katie out of that shelter, not one of them actually wanted to live with her.

At least she had a loving foster home until she died, but still. You'd think with all that rallying to get her out, someone would want to take her in. As in a forever home, not a foster home.

And that is why I don't crosspost. Because I can't take in another dog. I'm not going to harangue others into doing something that I myself cannot do.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm sorry, I can get very hot-headed and obnoxious about rescue, as I'm certain everyone here has noticed ;) I probably read your post as "I hate people who post pictures of dogs in need and I will block them on the first offense and I hate rescue dogs and eat them for breakfast."

:eek:
I don't know, I think it's pretty ridiculous to just assume that anybody who doesn't share them doesn't care about rescues.

I mean, I don't share those posts and I run a rescue.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I share some, typically ones that I like in the hopes that somebody I know will adopt them. It has happened, and then I get to keep up with them :)

I posted one today that I really really want but can't have. Lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'm pretty sure the goal to get Katie out of the shelter and given the love she deserved for the time remaining and a chance for a home was achieved.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm pretty sure the goal to get Katie out of the shelter and given the love she deserved for the time remaining and a chance for a home was achieved.
I guess it didn't seem fair - because while she was a foster, she was not in a forever home that would love her. I liked her, but she was "just a foster dog" here - sure she was out of the shelter, and she was off that concrete floor, but it was nothing like having an actual home where she'd be loved and cherished. I wanted that for her. Apparently I was the only one. "Someone pull this dog and foster her for the adoptive home that doesn't exist, until she dies" really wasn't what I'd had in mind when I agreed to foster her. And it really did turn me off to volunteering to help with urgent crossposts in the future.

I can do a lot for rescue - I can emotionally handle a lot from rescue - but I found out that caring for a dying dog with no chance of being adopted isn't something I can handle.

Members online