Contemplating Next Dog: Airedale Terrier

Kayla

I've been putting a lot of thought into my next dog and would love to hear from anyone with their experiences with working Airdale Terrier's in IPO/ Schutzhund.

Currently I only train in tracking and competitive obedience but I would love to learn and work my next dog in the protection phase as well. I'm just wondering on any structural issue's to be wary of, similar to what's happened to a lot of show line GSD's?

Additionally does anyone have any good recommendations of breeders in Canada/ US?

I'm also wondering about wariness of strangers, as an adult? I typically tend to travel to visit family and typically bring Duke and Mav with me. Of course socialization would be my top priority but most of the Airedale's I have met (only 5 to date) were all very friendly and outgoing towards people. I'm just wondering if this is typical of the breed for anyone who has a lot of experience with the breed?

I was planning on a female as I have two male dogs: Duke a GSD mix who is turning 8 this summer and is very dog tolerant and Maverick, a border collie who is turning 5 next fall. Maverick is very dog friendly once introduced (Reactive on leash but making a lot of progress).

Maverick and Duke are very tolerant of each other, they share space well, they play, they don't guard food and they only rarely posture over a toy but diffuse the situation by themselves by walking away. Perhaps with a third dog, bones and toys would need to be given only when separated to be safe depending on the dynamics.

Thanks,
Kayla

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
We see 3 on a regular basis at my clinic. They are all huge pains to deal with. One will attack the vet if they wear a lab coat, and needs 3+ people to hold him down for vaccines. The other 2 come for grooming and literally just plant their feet and REFUSE to move. Nothing like trying to carry 50-70 pounds of unwilling terrier into a kennel.

I used to want one. After working at the clinic, NOT SO MUCH!

krissy

We see 3 on a regular basis at my clinic. They are all huge pains to deal with. One will attack the vet if they wear a lab coat, and needs 3+ people to hold him down for vaccines. The other 2 come for grooming and literally just plant their feet and REFUSE to move. Nothing like trying to carry 50-70 pounds of unwilling terrier into a kennel.

I used to want one. After working at the clinic, NOT SO MUCH!
I haven't met any I liked so far either. :(

BostonBanker

I used to house-sit for one that belonged to a good friend of mine; it was her second Airedale, and she always talked about what sweet, kind, stupid dogs they were. The one I knew was very sweet and easy. It is so far off what I've always heard about them that I never quite knew how to process her description of her dogs.

I do know that they never appealed to me much until I saw the pictures of the smooth Airedales. Holy handsome dogs.

Saeleofu

I've LOVED every airedale I've ever met! We had one family that had them for years and years. Last time I saw them they had I think 3 plus one that was supposed to be an airedale rescue and when they went it was some other smaller terrier (but they took it anyway lol). I love their size and their hair and everything about them! The ones I've had experience with were super sweet, but still absolutely terriers.

I considered an airedale for my SD prospect, but I couldn't find a breeder I liked, and there IS a lot of inconsistency in their temperaments from what I understand. They're definitely on my "someday" list though.

Taqroy

My parents have an Airedale (Max) and I love him and think he is utterly hilarious, but after getting to know him I would never in a million years have an Airedale. I also mostly think he's hilarious because he's not my dog and his crazed behavior is not my problem. Lol.

He is extremely friendly with everyone but has really terrible manners - I'm honestly not sure how much of this is due to training and how much is terrier "They don't want me to do this so IMMA DO IT MORE/HARDER/FANCIER" (and my parents inability to fix that).

That's really the only question I can answer, my parents don't do any real training with him. He knows the basics but they're heavily lured still (that's my Mom's fault). I think he could do a lot more but...not my dog. /shrug.

I used to house-sit for one that belonged to a good friend of mine; it was her second Airedale, and she always talked about what sweet, kind, stupid dogs they were.
:rofl1::rofl1: Max is like a big dumb bear when his coat grows out. He just derps around but he's so big and puppyish still that it's rather dangerous.

ETA: Oh I forgot - Max does get along great with most every dog. He takes being told off well (but will keep coming back) but he's never ever been in a fight or instigated one in any way. He'll let any of my dogs come up and take his stuff and just get all big eyed and sad about it. Mu absolutely detests him and tries to eat his face whenever he gets near her and he just derps along all "This my friend Mu and we love each other and she bites my face and it's GRAND". Because he's dumb. And hilarious. As previously mentioned.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I baby sat one for about two months, and those two months could not have gone by any quicker. He was the most needy, annoying and stupid dog I have ever dealt with. I actually had to take breaks from him during the day. He was from show lines.

Aleron

I know someone who breeds nice Airedales, does competition obedience and hunting with them. Not sure about their suitability for Schutzhund though. His dogs are for the most part, fine dogs. Don't seem overly interested in strangers or strange dogs for the most part, fairly aloof. The males can be manly. And well, they are terriers LOL

Members online