What to do when feral dogs attack your dog?

Well since I live in latin america is well know there's a LOT of feral dogs in the streets... the poor things.

I want to know what to do when feral dogs attack your dog?

In this week I took Pompadour to our front yard for him to make bathroom and he went to the grass near the steel fence that separates the house from the the street.

He stared to make poop near the fence when a big feral dog (looked like a GSD or a huskie mix) came running fast and leaped to try to attack Pompadour since he was so vulnerable making poop, thank goodness the fence was there and is made of hard metal because the dog slammed into the fence and I yelled NO! and he went away.

When Pompadour saw this he was scared and tried to make the poop faster and run but failed.

The dog's body language did looked like a tiger going for a prey, I know is not the feral's dog fault he had mange in all his body and you could see the ribs, so it appeared like since he saw the chance of a tiny creature being vulnerable and he was hungry he saw the chance for an easy meal, the conditions of the feral dogs makes me feel bad, they didn't asked to born.

What I can do if something like this happens again? there's so many feral dogs so there's a chance that they might want to attack a toy dog since is an easy prey, what I do is to carry him in my arms in places were I have seen feral dogs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Carry protection and never let your dog out of your sight or in someone's care that is not as attentive. WE do not have feral dogs here, just owners without sense that let their dogs roam. If I have nothing else, I take a 2 and a half foot steel rod that is not wide in diameter but very strong with me. Do not reach into a fight with your hands, always find something to use to seperate, and do not pull the fight up on you find a way to block that does not involve your face.That is very scary. I would carry mace if I could.

joce

Here aggressive feral dogs get shot.

I have never had to deal with it but there was a pack by my dads and he had one he had to shoot that tried to go after him. It had gotten into the bunny cage and ate one of the bunnies feet but the bunny(buckshot became its new name)lived even though my dad though it was dead even ater he shot the dog.

Sheriff said if you feel threatened its not just livestock you can protect.

Where I live if they go after livestock,feral or not, you shoot them to.

I know it sounds bad but these animals are not leading a great life and if they are chasing my animals around my horse could easily break a leg or go through a fence. Farmers lose cows. A bunch got loose here recently and broke their legs on the icy road from being chased. Thats a lot of money a cow.

Carry protection and never let your dog out of your sight or in someone's care that is not as attentive. WE do not have feral dogs here, just owners without sense that let their dogs roam. If I have nothing else, I take a 2 and a half foot steel rod that is not wide in diameter but very strong with me. Do not reach into a fight with your hands, always find something to use to seperate, and do not pull the fight up on you find a way to block that does not involve your face.That is very scary. I would carry mace if I could.
Thank you for the information, can an umbrella be used as a rod too? maybe I can use that when I go to places like the graveyard.

I have a small kitchen hammer and is made of metal, however I don't think the guards would let me get into the ahopping mall wit that, lol.

Here aggressive feral dogs get shot.

I have never had to deal with it but there was a pack by my dads and he had one he had to shoot that tried to go after him. It had gotten into the bunny cage and ate one of the bunnies feet but the bunny(buckshot became its new name)lived even though my dad though it was dead even ater he shot the dog.

Sheriff said if you feel threatened its not just livestock you can protect.

Where I live if they go after livestock,feral or not, you shoot them to.

I know it sounds bad but these animals are not leading a great life and if they are chasing my animals around my horse could easily break a leg or go through a fence. Farmers lose cows. A bunch got loose here recently and broke their legs on the icy road from being chased. Thats a lot of money a cow.
What a mess, poor bunny.

Don't worry is ok, I know how you feel.

In the farm of my father a pack of dogs entered and made a wreck, they killed 5 calves so one of the workers of the farm shot down two of the dogs the others ran away.

The dog who tried to kill Pompadour is in bad shape, not quality in life at all when he was starved to the bones and full of mange to the point that only the ears have fur. :/

An umbrella can work great, you can use it like a rob but also if is the kind with a spring you can use it to block/scare the feral dogs away.

Members online

No members online now.