Resource guarding issue...

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I might have almost gotten myself bitten by Joey tonight. It's my fault, but now I know something we need to work on.

I got the dogs new bones today and gave them the bones this evening after dinner.

First off Joey kept trying to steal Cricket and Bamm's bones so I moved him over to the other side of the room and kept a close eye on him to keep him from stealing theirs.

He bit off a chunk of bone that concerned me. He had his head facing up with the bone at the back of his mouth trying to chew it and I got worried since a friend of mine just had to have major surgery on her dog that had swallowed a big piece of bone recently.

So... I went over to Joey to try to confiscate that piece and he tried to swallow it instead. I made the mistake of trying to get the bone from him before he could swallow it and he growled at me and kept the bone piece in the back of his mouth. I grabbed a different bone and tried to trade and he growled again and dropped the piece that was in his mouth when he air snapped at me.

Sooo... I did end up taking the bones away for now because I'm not ok with that. Cricket and Bamm will let me take a bone right out of their mouth. I was just trying to prevent him from swallowing that piece and hopefully prevent a possible obstruction.

So. I know I shouldn't have tried to reach for the bone like that and I really need to teach him a drop it badly after this.

Any other recommendations? There is probably going to be a new rule that he only gets chews and stuff in his crate from now on. He doesn't seem to be able to break chunks like that with antlers so only antlers for now while I work on teaching him a solid drop it cue.

We are both a little shook up right now. He went into his crate and was trembling for a bit :( I feel bad that he was trembling because of something I did, but for his safety I need to be able to take valuable things from him in situations like tonight so we have some work ahead of us.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'd start playing the trading game with really low value objects and then work your way up from there. I would say no more bones or high value objects at all right now just in case you need to take them away quick for any reason.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I second the trading game stuff. If you want more detail, check out "Mine!" it's pretty technical, but for people interested in the specifics it's a nice resource.

Also, I'm using this technique with a few client dogs to teach drop and I'm loving it!

[YOUTUBE]ndTiVOCNY4M[/YOUTUBE]

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Thanks so much. I'll definitely try that. He just came up onto my bed and curled up and has his head resting on my stomach. He still looks a little shut down though. Oy soft dogs lol.

Trading game definitely seems like the way to go and I definitely know this is a workable situation.

LOVE the method stardog posted. Quke has an amazing drop and we only did a couple of sessions. Its especially good for resource guarders because you dont have to be right there and risk them tensing up like can happen In trade.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I would also often not trade. Take something and give it straight back. He's anxious you'll steal his stuff, he has to realise he doesn't lose every time.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
One thing I thought is that I would not let him have chews at all in the same room as the other dogs. I've seen dogs get worked up thinking another dog is going to come steal their stuff that they get more on guard even with people. Even though he was moved across the room, I'd move him completely out where they're not even in eyeshot.

JacksonsMom

One thing I thought is that I would not let him have chews at all in the same room as the other dogs. I've seen dogs get worked up thinking another dog is going to come steal their stuff that they get more on guard even with people. Even though he was moved across the room, I'd move him completely out where they're not even in eyeshot.
Yeah, this too. Jackson has never ever resource guarded me but he tenses up a bit more and gets nervous when he thinks other dogs are going to steal his bones. He will resource guard against other dogs, but never humans. We don't do chews over at my dads house with the 3 of them because it's just too much work to deal with (unless we're about to go to bed and he's locked in my bedroom, I sometimes give him something). But Jackson does the same thing with the "OMGi'm gonna swallow this real quick since your coming towards me" thing and it scares me. I've learned to just go open the fridge lol. I will peek over at him while he's chewing, and if the piece is getting too small for comfort, I calmly get up and go open the fridge and will crinkle some cheese packet. That way he doesn't try the swallow it fast manuever. ha.

Members online