Where are your dogs from? Where do you plan to get your future dogs?

kady05

Wilson: BYB, "oops" litter (male dog dug under the fence and got to the female). Although, the girl I got him from did place all the pups on spay/neuter contracts and had all of the shot records ready to go, also didn't let them go to their new homes til they were 10wks. I got Wilson at 12wks. So not your typical BYB situation, but still, no health testing and such.

Piper: BYB, planned litter. They adopted her mom from AC and decided to breed her to their male (this was before our local AC's required that animals be spayed/neutered before leaving) because "she's blue!".. ugh. Mom had Demodex, so did all of the pups. Cockroaches crawling all over the walls, DISGUSTING conditions.. I paid $50 for her and reported them to AC after I got her.

Sako, reputable breeder. Health tests, shows and works her dogs. She is awesome.

My next dog will be from a reputable breeder, most likely another Amstaff.

Equinox

Trent is my first and only dog, and he came from a local working/sport breeder. Great guy, would absolutely go to him for another dog, but somewhere further down the road. He doesn't have anything I'd really be interested in (or able to handle) at this point, as far as bloodlines and individuals go.

So next dog will definitely be from a breeder, just not sure which one.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Moses: I was about five and at the time, there was a store in town that sold fish and pet supplies.. and my parents came home with a dog bowl and red/white leash, then that evening, a woman came by with two Cocker Spaniel puppies on leashes. Moses was the buff and white coloured male and then there was his golden-coloured sister, and being five, I went for the "prettier one". :p Apparently I originally wanted to name him Jesus but my parents made me settle for Moses... thank goodness.

Cali: I wanted an Aussie at first (and still plan on getting one) but since my mom was going to be the caretaker while I was at university, it wouldn't have been fair for such a high energy breed or to my mom. So, I settled on a Papillon after lots of hesitation. Actually, seeing and hearing about Laurelin's Mia and Michiyo-Fir's Nia on another dog forum is what convinced me to give the breed a shot.. and I'm really glad I did. We ended up finding an older breeder just four hours away who was about to breed their last litter, and since that was the only breeder close enough, I arranged "reserving" a female from the litter if one was born. It was probably the longest two months of my life but I checked the website religiously, more so when I got the e-mail saying there were two female puppies born and their pictures would be up in a day or so.

I'm planning on getting my next dog (an Aussie) from Merlin and Journey's breeder, if all goes well. :)

Flyinsbt

Both the dogs I have now, Tess and Pirate, I bred. Tess' dam, Tully, was from a responsible breeder. My first Stafford, Elmo, was a rescue.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Maggie: Local open admission shelter.

Ziva: Local open admission shelter, foster failure.

Kestrel: Local open admission shelter, foster failure.

Aeri: Responsible breeder.

Snipe: Found us and wouldn't take no for an answer (neighbor).

Next dog will probably be from a responsible breeder or breed rescue, depends on what I need and am looking for in 10 years. ;)

FG167

Past dogs:

Midas (Lab) - BYB

Mason (Lab) - BYB

Kya (Pit Bull) - Craigslist...the man's wife was beating her. She was terribly shy but we couldn't leave her there.

Madix (Dutch Shepherd) - "reputable" breeder. She health tests and seems to breed good dogs but sent me the puppy no one wanted because he was "that" puppy - aka, nerves were bad, misplaced aggression/reactivity/biting etc

Current dogs:

Eden (Corgi) - reputable breeder. Held back for show, didn't develop how hoped and he was holding her for a sport home. Her prey drive is intense and can be difficult to manage.

Kastle (GSD) - reputable breeder, imported from Belgium. Could not be any happier if I tried. Will most likely get my next GSD from him if he's still breeding when Kastle is old and decrepit

Limit (Kelpie) - breeder. There's not a ton of "reputable" health testing breeders for Kelpies around here. I wanted a strong, confident, non-soft, dog from working lines. He's from working lines. I would get a pup from her again as I am very pleased with his temperament thus far, however, I cannot get in touch with her anymore at all so I suppose I will look elsewhere.

Future dogs:

I plan on sticking to GSD and Kelpie. I may replace the Kelpie with a Koolie, perhaps. Depends on what I think when I meet the Koolies and if the temperament is similar to Limit's. Some day I'd like to try a Chessie but I think that is far far off.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer- breeder, retired adult at age 4

Mia- different breeder, puppy

Future dogs- breeder adult or puppy, rescued adult of specific breeds/crosses

All I really care about is finding the right dog for me at the time. Nextdog will be from a breeder.

Past dogs:

Nikki- newspaper ad and brought home at 5 weeks. I was also 10 when I picked her out but it was all my doing. I'm the one that found the advertisement and begged my parents to go get a puppy.

Michiyo-Fir

Nia is from a show breeder.

Truffles and Popcorn are from a pet store in the UK because my aunt didnt know any better than to find a breeder.

Future dogs will most likely come from breeders.

crazedACD

Boomer- From a county shelter
Zoie- From a county shelter
Fez-Stray
Soldier- From someone's yard. I delivered pizza to this woman all the time, and she had tons of litters she would dump at the shelter. Soldier was out of the yard and I picked him up, said Oh, he got out! The woman said oh no, I can't keep him contained, I was hoping he would just wander off :(. So I took him home.
Ritzy-From a friend that was going through tough times
Coconut-From a friend's shelter
Skye-Tied to my vet clinic's door. We sent her to animal control, and I adopted her when I was afraid she would PTS.
Romeo-BYB. Wanted a herding type breed, friend of a friend had one 12 weeks pup she needed to get rid of..I took him.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Lizzie: Local-ish shelter, puppy.

Blaze: reputable breeder, puppy.

Future dogs will most likely come from reputable breeders.

crazedACD

Oh! Future dog... I honestly don't know at this point. I will have to see how much time I have week to week, and I'm not sure a puppy will the best idea. It will depend on what's available at the time...if I can find an appropriate young adult through a breeder in the breed I'm interested in, I would go with that. The shelter is always a strong possibility but I have concerns about genetically inherited diseases.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin: Reputable (/awesome) breeder

All future aussie puppies will be from her.

Future someday dog will likely be an adult from rescue. Now, finding a rescue who will adopt to me/one that I like and trust enough to know the right dog for me..that's a whole nother issue.

Ruffian and Tonka (passed) Shiba Inu, both from what where reputable breeders at one point. One is horrible now, and the other I don't know about, haven't been to a show in sooo long.

Gage-mastiff/rotty mix, free to good home dog

Bristol-my bosses daughter rescued a Shih-Tzu from Ontario and I had just had to put Ruffian and Tonka to sleep when they found out that Kloey was pregnant, I put my name on a girl, there was only one. (All three pups and mom have been fixed and are living wonderful pet lives)

Diesel-yorkie/poodle mix, a friend needed a new home for him since she had a job promotion that changed her job site and shifts.

Next dog-it will depend, I would LOVE a Bouvier to show, and have a breeder picked out, failing that if we were to go the purebred route it will be a Standard Poodle from a reputable breeder, already picked out as well. But in all likelihood we will get another re-home. I would love to get a doodle mix that so done needs to get rid of, I will not purchase one from a "breeder".

Zhucca

Lab Love
I got Duke from a friend when he was 7 months old. They apparently couldn't handle the responsibility of a dog, but their major loss. He is from a local BYB. He's unregistered, doubt they health tested.

Boomer is from a lab breeder who breeds for color, enough said. (though he's only half mine, not much of a choice there)

My next dog will be from a reputable breeder.

Max(passed)- Pet store bought yeah, I know :( he was my first dog and I didn't know much about puppy mills back then. :cool:

Cinnamon(passed)- Bought her from a breeder,

Luna- adopted her from a shelter.

Future dog... hmm either I'll adopt from a shelter again or I'll buy from a reputable breeder.

Enoch- (GSDxSibe)- Oops litter from a somewhat neighbor, in heat bitch and one VERY determined boy .

Atlas- (Catahoula)- Working/Hunt breeder, rehomed to me after the previous owner (breeders niece) decided that being pregnant and having him and her DA APBT wasn't working out. Her loss my AMAZING gain

All of my personal dogs will most likely come from NALC/UKC/WCA breeders (Catahoula) with the possibility of an ADBA APBT or Decker here and there.

adojrts

Hailey BYB
Petie, Bobbi, Who and Punky: I bred, 3 generations, have 4 generations :)
Sprout: Christmas Gift from Laura-Leigh (she is by Zorro out of Mindy. Zorro, Laura purchased from me, he was a littermate to Petie and Bobbi. Sprout was from the litter that was conceived the day he died :(

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Penn is from a show& field breeder. Onpoint Vizsla is where her dad is from.

I'll probably always own a V& most likely always from this breeder. I also plan on adding a Border Collie to the mix ..not sure where I'll purchase from but most likely the same place my agility trainer purchased his.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor is from a rescue. Found on Petfinder.
Pepper I found in the street. Stray.
Neccy was the neighbor's and needed help so she moved from one side of the buidling to the other. Sometimes you see her look back (they have moved now) and you wonder what she is thinking.

If i ever have another dog, that depends on my health, I am sure it will come as Pepper OR Neccy did. Just the way it is. Next one will probably be Shaffer but we don't want that to happen at all. Shaffer is my Mother's dog. She is 88.

Members online

No members online now.