Help flakey dog

frizbeenut

Hi, I need help,,have a 6yr old female choc lab..she doesn't think she is a dog, anyway, this last year she developed dry skin,have tried the cornola oil ,,special vitamins,,special shampoo's even changed her food..her skin is not red and no rashes, nothing helps she is getting worse..she has been checked for fleas...just petting her makes her look like a snow storm..HELP!!!

621mum

Does it itch? When my black lab mix developed it, it turned out it was seasonal allergies. We put her on Benadryl and it cleared up...

frizbeenut

flakey dog

thank you for replying, she did have an allergy in April and they had her on an antibiotic but she had a red rash and scratched alot then ,..she isn't doing the scratching or having the rash.. about how much Benadryl should I give her..she weighs about 84lbs. Cocoa's mom

M

Manchesters

Need To Know

frizbeenut said:
Hi, I need help,,have a 6yr old female choc lab..she doesn't think she is a dog, anyway, this last year she developed dry skin,have tried the cornola oil ,,special vitamins,,special shampoo's even changed her food..her skin is not red and no rashes, nothing helps she is getting worse..she has been checked for fleas...just petting her makes her look like a snow storm..HELP!!!
How often do you bathe her? What are you feeding her? Peanut oil helps.......also when you do bathe her, try rinsing her with Alpha Kerry---something like a capful mixed with a quart of water. I used to put it into a spray bottle, and spritz my Dobe with it also.

Also----vitamin E would help. About 200 IU a day. Wheat Germ oil on the food would help. It is expensive, but with only one dog you might be able to afford it, lol.

EliNHunter

Flakey skin could also be a thyroid problem. I would have her thyroid levels checked if you still have it after doing all of the above.

621mum

My vet had me give Javert (my dog... she weighed a bit less than 40 pounds) 1 tablet, but I would call the vet for dosage, you don't want to overdose her.

Members online

No members online now.