"Going" off the trail?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
We are very fortunate to have a private forest nearby where we can let the dogs run loose whilst we hike.
The condition of us using this place is that if the dogs defecate, that it not be on the trail. (Since only a few of us utilize these trails there's never been any build up or stink, so there's been no need to trek off the trail to pick up.)

Rigby was the only one that didn't need to be trained to do this. Since day 1 she has been mindful on trails and has never once defecated on the path. Even when leashed she will drag me at least 2-3 feet off the trail to go.

The other 3 had to be trained not to do this, and even still there are days where we are coming out with a few bags full because one of them decided that the middle of the trail was the right spot.

I'm just wondering if there's any instinctual basis to this? Or maybe it's just a fluke that Rigby simply has a preference for being off the trail?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
All of my dogs, both past and present, prefer to poop "off the beaten path". When we lived in the country, our dogs would go in the field. When I lived near woods, the dogs would always choose to poop in the woods and not the yard when given the choice. Now that we're in a fenced yard, Abrams and Cynder mostly go where the grass is thickest towards the edges of the fence at the sides of the yard.

When we go on hikes, they always go to the side of the trial to do their business (or into the foliage if possible).

I would think there is some kind of instinct behind it, even if it is just a "this is where I walk/play, I don't want to poop here" kind of a thing?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I would think there is some kind of instinct behind it, even if it is just a "this is where I walk/play, I don't want to poop here" kind of a thing?
That was my first thought.
But my dogs rarely spend time on the path unless they are really tired or it's too hot. They spend a good portion of their walk chasing each other through the woods.

Elrohwen

Watson *always* leaves the trail to poop. It's funny because he'll suddenly dash off into the woods about 5-10ft (he's on leash, otherwise he'd probably never be on the trail) and we know he has to go. He's fine going on mowed grass too, but if it's the woods he just likes to go somewhere with deeper weeds or fallen leaves or something. I always thought he wanted to hide it a bit, since he will move over a foot just to poop in deeper weeds vs a mowed area.

ETA: Interesting anecdote - the coyotes on our property poop on the trails quite often. It's weird to me since most dogs won't. Maybe they are marking "their" paths from other coyotes or from Watson?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Interesting anecdote - the coyotes on our property poop on the trails quite often. It's weird to me since most dogs won't. Maybe they are marking "their" paths from other coyotes or from Watson?
I have noticed that as well!
Maybe it's both?

Members online

No members online now.