Faults

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Does every dog have a fault? I was discussing this with someone the other day. Fred's left pastern isn't perfect I don't think and she said don't worry, every dog has its fault.

Is this true?

Be it confirmation or temperament?

Discuss.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Pepper can't breath if you turn her over and she never sleeps on her back.
I think Mary had a channel in her ear canal that led to a dead end and there was no way to clean in there because that off shoot channel was too narrow for even the smallest swab and it caused her problems. IT's the ones I cna't see that worry me.

Neccy has them all. She is roach backed, her hocks point in. Her feet are small enough to be Pepper's but her body has a big frame. SHe has a pin head compared, but none of that matters a whoot. She makes it all work and those itty bitty feet have no arthritis in them like Mary's poor ol paddles so I am really grateful for that. I only wish her toenails would migrate the rest of the way down. A lifetime of being over grown with her orignal owners makes htem point up and they always look too long to me because of it.

In my eyes..Victor is perfect...in other's who knows. I think he is the handsomest creature on earth. But its probably just love. HE is however very sensitive, to drugs, to scratches, to sounds. THat last was the one we really had to work on when he was young so he didnt' bolt when frightened.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Yes, all dogs have faults.

These faults also apply depending on the definition you are using for "perfect" show guidelines? your own personal temperament guidelines?

Eye of the beholder and all.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I can love any thing but dumb, I just do not want a dumb dog period. I have met a few I think certifiably crazy dogs too. Not just ocd, or mildly but down right insane to the point it makes your hair stand on end if they are behind you.two in particular and they were liter mates. You couldn't work with them, and the other dogs wouldn't have anything to do with them either. I figure they can run the full scope as much as people can.

Neccy is a trip for me because she is such a mix up of so many faults that she makes it work..or maybe that's the eye of the beholder too. I would never say body wise she is beautiful...but her mind..just makes me swoon.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
In the same vein I think it's good when breeders can recognize the faults in their dogs, being kennel blind can be dangerous IMO.

Yep, I think all dogs have faults, both physical and behavior wise. And I think when a breeder/potential breeder isn't able to recognize those faults it becomes an issue. Like Fran said, those faults are going to be different depending on who you ask, what the dog is bred for, and what preference the person has.

And honestly, I think it's those faults that make our dogs. I don't want a perfect dog, there is no character in that.

Every dog has faults, except Magpie. She's perfect.

Jonas is your quintessential puppy mill dog. A walking fault physically and temperamentally. He's pretty decently together now a days, but I got him shortly before 3 and it took years of work. Physically his ass is so high in the air he might lift off and fly away at some point and he has PRA. His elbows bow out fairly jarringly but no issues as a result. Teeth are **** and his ears are deformed, but I consider them hilarious and like them. The only thing he has on Dachshunds in general is that he's leggier, and I like that as well. Otherwise you can classify him as a hot mess.

If you ask me, Gambit is completely free of faults. But then, I've concluded that I somehow found the canine version of myself, so anything I say should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

If you were to ask other people.....it may be best if you don't ask other people. :lol-sign:

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Speaking from a breed standards and Conformation judging standpoint all dogs have faults even the Champions and the Grand Champions. Being a Champion is not about being without faults.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Sure. Every dog probably has a number of faults. Sadie is *really* nice, and she is slightly under angulated and has a high tail set. Riot is structurally one of the most solid dogs I know, and she's a little straight in front. I don't think there is a perfect dog structurally or in temperament- one, everyone has different ideals and two, when you breed, you have to do some give and take each time.

Flyinsbt

In the same vein I think it's good when breeders can recognize the faults in their dogs, being kennel blind can be dangerous IMO.
That was the problem I ran into with Pirate. With Tess, I was always pretty aware of what her faults are. She's a quality dog, and a worthy champion, but she does have her faults and I recognize them. How can I make the right breeding choices if I don't know what I'm trying to improve?

With Pirate, I was not being able to find a fault, and it was worrying me. What was I missing?! Which is why I drove down to SoCal with him last year for a show, so I could get his co-breeder to look at him, and find his faults. She didn't have much luck with it either, though. She thought he might need a little more rear angulation, but I really don't agree about that, I think his angulation is fine. Less than his dam, but his dam is a little over-angulated.

Then another breeder, who was there to judge sweeps, looked at Pirate, and also said he was hard to fault. So at least I feel better that I wasn't missing obvious stuff.

Since then, I've decided his tail could be a little bit better, so I feel better that at least I found something.

I believe it fully, that there is no such thing as a dog who's without faults, but as has been said already some show more than others. As well, some aren't actually ever "seen", I've read before about dogs who were said to be the most perfect examples of their breed ever, structure instinct and temperament, but then found they couldn't reproduce, oh well. I do strive to find all my own dogs faults, I know all of Enda's, and I even find them in the altered boys too, just for fun mostly, but educational fun none the less.

Members online