So it is just a very lost/found kind of month

GoingNowhere

Or so it would seem.

My roommates found this underneath their car:

He was there when they returned from a hike. They brought him home. No collar. Not yet checked for a microchip. I posted him on facebook and checked craigslist. We'll report him to local shelters. I haven't met him yet.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Aw, what a cutie. Hope he/she finds home soon! I think it must be a lost/found day... I found a loose dog, too.

My mom was driving me home from work today, and almost ran over a small dog. I make her stop, hopped out. And grabbed the pup. Few minutes on the phone with the wife, and the husband of the family who owns the dog came out. I got lucky, I didn't have any treats but the dog ("Grau") came right up to me and let me pick him up.

Snark

Mutts to you
So cute! I hope someone is looking for him, it would be too sad to think someone just dumped him...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
He is adorable! Hope he has someone looking for him.

GoingNowhere

no collar, no microchip :( Called the shelter, either we need to keep him for at least week while looking for his owner or we need to give him to the shelter. I don't think we can keep him that long. One of my roommates loves him. The other two are a bit skeeved out by the sheer number of ticks that we have pulled off this baby.

I think he's younger than we'd originally suspected. Maybe a year or thereabouts. Pearly white adult teeth and a baby face. He's not neutered. He a temperament to rival a saint.

We've pulled at least 50 or 60 ticks off of him. He didn't make even a peep and we ripped a few good chunks of hair out by accident. He's extremely submissive, but also very very people pleasing. He has a big limp in his front right leg. Not sure if it's the product of an old injury or something like Lyme Disease.

We'll probably have to drop him off at the shelter tomorrow, but it kills me. Anyone nearby want to hold him until we can find him a rescue (or his owner)?

Slick

Kristina
I had a lost and then found scare today, but only after the fact!

I was playing at an ultimate frisbee tournament and brought Leo because its a super dog-friendly environment. He was hanging out with me on the sideline, but then it started to get pretty warm, so I tied him to a tree a ways down so he could get shade. He was in sight but pretty far away.

WELL, he broke his collar, and I was totally oblivious! He was apparently wandering around and made it all the way across the field (this is a big field that fits 8 different ultimate fields), where someone found him, asked around, brought him back to the tree and attached him to it again using the gentle leader I had had lying beside my dog bag.

Even though I had intentionally tied him within sight, I guess I was just too wrapped up in the game and NEVER noticed. I only found out when I visited him between games and the guy happened to be nearby. He was all "Is that your dog? He broke his collar and was all the way across the field!" I was like :yikes:

Suffice to say, I learned me lesson. Not doing that again.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Oh, gosh. If I was totally not in the wrong part of the country I would totally take him. He looks like a total love.

Snark

Mutts to you
Dang, if it weren't for Mick and Murph being DA, I'm take him in a heartbeat. Can't you talk the other two roommates into keeping him for a week 'til you find a rescue? Ticks are icky but a fixable problem...

GoingNowhere

Well he's off to the shelter. I pulled another 15 or so ticks off of him this morning :( Poor baby.

We're technically not allowed to have dogs in the apartment [with the exception of my roommate who is allowed an ESA via doctor note (but she is going to wait and get a greyhound)], so we couldn't keep him indefinitely. He also desperately needs a flea/tick dip and to be checked out by a vet (possibly radiographs to look at his leg), and we don't have the funds to afford that, especially for a dog we can't keep. With Boo's injuries/veterinary medical expenses right now, I can't ask my parents. My other roommate is dropping him off today with a bit of a donation and the stipulation that they give him back to us or call us and let us "adopt" him before he is euthanized if it comes to that.

As of this morning, he was barely putting any weight on his front right. I had thought it looked like a stiff old injury or Lyme induced joint pain, but as of this morning, it certainly seemed more acute. The photo with him sitting with a paw raised is not so much a calming signal as it was him trying to keep weight off of his foot. That said, he was king of calming signals. Such a good good dog. He definitely was starting to favor my roommate (she was the one that rescued him and has been his primary caregiver), but oh my goodness, he was just an angel. Not a peep either night and no complaints as we pulled ticks off of him, even in the sensitive areas. We taught him to "sit" yesterday - he really likes kibble. We also took him on a brief walk to see how he did on a leash. He's clearly not used to it, but he was so intent on following us that it didn't really matter.

He was hesitant when he saw a big lab across the street on a leash and wanted to chase the squirrel that ran up a tree just in front of him. Good news is that even though he didn't seem used to being on a leash, he didn't panic when he ran after the squirrel and felt the leash on his neck.

He's a funny little guy. VERY submissive and cautious, but he ran right downstairs to my roommate while she was vacuuming because he wanted to be near her and the noise didn't phase him. Provided that he doesn't have a family looking for him, I think that he will make a wonderful pet once he settles in somewhere.

I tend to think that no one is looking for him, but after my situation with Boo, I don't want to make any judgments. My roommate is convinced that the sheer number of ticks on him and his lack of collar/microchip suggest that he has no one who wants him (or no one that deserves to have him back), but I just think that it would have been so easy for someone to see Boo and think, "oh god, she's skinny, matted, smelly, covered in ticks, and clearly her owners were slicing her up with a knife! No way she's going back to them!" Obviously, that wasn't the case at all. So I'm not going to make any assumptions.

Members online

No members online now.