I want to become a groomer!

AB1893

Hello,
I am new to this forum and currently looking into training to become a dog groomer.
As I’m working and cannot afford to quit my job to learn unemployed, I’m looking into a distance learning course so I can learn in my own time and I like the look of this one: http://www.distance-learning-centre.co.uk/products/318/DOG_GROOMING_COURSE.htm
I’m just wondering how others got into it? Did you guys go to college/distance learning course?
Thanks,
Adam :)

IMO you will be very very very hard to find a job while taking a online grooming course. this is a job where you need hands on learning, not book work.

I dont know any groomers who would hire some one with just online schooling.

this is not a easy job where text work will help you. you need to learn dogs body language, learn how to hold clippers, scissors, dogs. how to properly wash a dog, blow out a dog. what to do with a dog who is agressive, scared, first groom ect.

Assamiea

I know you said that you are currently working, but would it be possible to get a part time job as a bather in a grooming salon first and then have one of the groomers there maybe apprentice you?

Where I live, there are hands on grooming schools (they teach you all the basics and provide dogs of different breeds for your to groom) but I've never met a groomer in my area that has used them, most just learned from experienced groomers and have started at the bottom as a bather (or even a floor sweeper) and worked their way up.

I have to agree with Tankstar, it would be a hard profession to get into with just online classes and no practical experience.

Saintgirl

As an owner of a grooming salon I wouldn't even consider hiring a groomer with an online course. My hiring process involves a working interview and a portfolio. I care more about handling and knowledge of canine behavior than I care where someone has learned to groom. I agree that an apprenticeship is going to be your best bet, but it does require time on your part. If you can't commit to learning how to groom properly you will not make it in the grooming world. I worked under several great groomers (for years) before I ventured out on my own. Grooming is not an easy to learn trade, it requires hours of practice and patience, one hell of a good mentor, and a crazy obsession with animals.

Staff online

Members online