Suggest a breed:

milos_mommy

Over the years I've made probably a dozen of this thread:

We're not getting a dog any time soon, but may in the next year or two. My choice would, of course, be a rescue pit bull type dog/mix, but I am now considering a smaller dog might be better:

MUSTS -
Good with kids
Able to keep up on hikes, long walks, etc and handle NY summers
Not too high energy either - I'm looking more for lab, boxer energy VS border collie, malinois energy - basically biddable and energetic but not too smart
Not too protective/guardy/territorial, I want a friendly dog
Healthy.
Easy/reasonable to find in rescue

Prefer -
Lower end of the grooming spectrum, no daily brushing or 6 week haircuts
Good with/tolerable of other dogs (I don't care about small animal prey drive)
Easy to rent with. Here, complexes aren't allowed to have breed restrictions and most don't have size restrictions, but in-home apartments can, so moving might be easier with an under 30 lb dog

I think a lot of breeds fit my wants, but I'm wondering if there's a "perfect" breed out there...

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't know much about them, but all the beagles I've met would suit you wonderfully!
The store where I work did a fundraiser for beagle rescue, and while some of the ex-hunting dogs are a bit much, a lot are lovely BYB type pets who are pretty low key, kid friendly, happy, sweet dogs that work for food..

The AROOOOOO is a bit much but adult rescues with foster homes will know to what extent/how loud lol

crazedACD

Beagle, maybe? I'd be a little worried with their vocals in an apartment, but you have the same challenges with any dog.

My other suggestion is something spaniely, but grooming is moderate. Rat Terriers fit the bill. Boston Terriers are brachy but you can find some that aren't very extreme.

ETA, Fran you beat me :p

MicksMom

I was thinking Beagle, too. But, as has already been mentioned, noise my be a problem. Not to say there aren't quiet Beagles out there, they're just few and far between. I've met 2 in the last 30 years.

xpaeanx

If you're looking to rescue and not go breeder route, why not just go with what is avail at the time? I've met 90 million "spaniel mixes" or "mystery mutts" that would fit your description. And rescue is all about evaluating the dog as an individual anyway.

If you're more inclined to go the breeder route I'd look into some of the smaller spaniels. Great dogs and I find their grooming to not be too cumbersome... Like a poodle or rough coated collie would be. It's do-able at home(depending on lines like bench or field it could be as little as a brush out occasionally) & if I'm not mistaken you worked with a groomer for a while?

Members online