Argh, ferret rabies vaccine (rant)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
So apparently there is a shortage of vaccines used for rabies and distemper for ferrets. Great. Renegade is due for his vaccines at the end of the month (was supposed to go Wednesday).

Guess he's gonna miss out on a few errands until they get in :(. I just can't risk him biting someone and not being vaccinated, even though 9/10 times he's fine.

Last edited:

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I should keep an eye on this for sure, I suppose.
If I adopt, should I ask the rescue if they are being impacted by the shortage or should they just tell me?

I don't get Rock vaccinated every year after reading more into vaccines, but he also doesn't bite people or even go beyond the balcony. I guess it's definitely something I'd have to keep up on with a ferret since I'm planning to lug it around everywhere with me.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Rescues don't vaccinate. So it definitely wouldn't be an issue with them. Ren and Harrley go everywhere with me in the spring/summer, so it's really a point of I just can't not have him vaccinated, too much risk. I'm hoping it doesn't last too long, cause then it will start affecting Harley's therapy work...

There is another vet I could call and ask if they have any, because they generally keep it in stock (my vet office doesn't cause I'd rather it fresh and we are the only ferret patients), but they like double the price, and I'd rather my vet who knows ren and his issues...

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I feel so unprepared. I forgot about checking vets. I will have to check and see if the one up the road is ferret-friendly. Ugh. I feel dumb.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yah, I'd definitely ask if they have other ferret patients.

My vet just called, they ended up getting the vaccines in, he goes in Monday!

Members online

No members online now.