Police / army dogs (of any discipline) are they safe?

Miakoda

The link that Aleron posted earlier tells of several serious bite incidents involving western Washington police dogs:

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020474412_k9dogbitesxml.html

Obviously, the media is going to make as big a story of it as they can, so highlight the worst of the worst, but it still shows several incidents of serious bites involving police K-9s. And of interest is the fact that the dogs that are involved in these incidents seem to frequently to have it happen more than once.
After reading that, I wonder why so many civilian bystanders felt the need to butt in and "help" the police in pursuit of criminal on the run?

Pops2

After reading that, I wonder why so many civilian bystanders felt the need to butt in and "help" the police in pursuit of criminal on the run?
That mindset is reprehensible. It is the kind of mindset that allows situations like the rape & murder of Kitty Genovese. Everyone has a moral obligation to oppose all acts of evil to the utmost of their skills & ability.

Miakoda

That mindset is reprehensible. It is the kind of mindset that allows situations like the rape & murder of Kitty Genovese. Everyone has a moral obligation to oppose all acts of evil to the utmost of their skills & ability.
Ok. That's not quite what I was imagining. I was picturing a scenario where a cop and his K9 were right on the heels of a thug, and someone in a driveway a few yards ahead, sees the action and takes off running in an attempt to bring the guy down instead. Then said civilian gets pissed off when the dog sees him running, just like the thug, and takeshim down instead.

I'm not speaking in general terms of the general public doing their duty to keep an eye out and do what they can to stop crimes from happening or so on so forth.

So "whoa, buddy...." on the judgement. :)

Ok. That's not quite what I was imagining. I was picturing a scenario where a cop and his K9 were right on the heels of a thug, and someone in a driveway a few yards ahead, sees the action and takes off running in an attempt to bring the guy down instead. Then said civilian gets pissed off when the dog sees him running, just like the thug, and takeshim down instead.
What would the difference be between that and sending a dog in near a crowd of people, some of which might be afraid of dogs and running away from it? why would the dog completely end his pursuit with one person and redirect, on his OWN, onto someone other than the person the dog was in pursuit of to begin with?

Pops2

Police who shoot the wrong person are typically removed from service.
Wanna bet? Unless they get caught in intentional misconduct, most cops are almost impossible to fire because of civil service & union protections. Additionally they are generally protected from civil lawsuits because they were "acting in good faith" within the capacity of their job.

Pops2

Sometimes police accidentally shoot the wrong person. Lets take away their guns and their dogs. We'll be much safer.
A lot more questionable shootings by cops than CCW holders. I personally think it is because of the militarization of police in general.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Police who shoot the wrong person are typically removed from service.
Hahahahahaha you're in Vegas now, do some background research on the last ten years of Henderson police and their slaps on the wrist for shooting first or shooting the wrong person.

My post was totally tongue in cheek and I totally respect policemen but after spending years in Vegas I began to embrace the running joke.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
That kind of comes across as blaming the victim.
Some victims are kind of to blame. They make "Fail" videos all the time about people being dumb and thus hurting themselves.

Again, I'm not saying it's okay for a working dog to bite the wrong person and I honestly haven't read the article yet but I do not believe victims are faultless across the board.

Hahahahahaha you're in Vegas now, do some background research on the last ten years of Henderson police and their slaps on the wrist for shooting first or shooting the wrong person.

My post was totally tongue in cheek and I totally respect policemen but after spending years in Vegas I began to embrace the running joke.
LOL I'm actually...not the biggest fan of cops as a general rule but I figured I'd give the police force the benefit of the doubt on one. My bad. :p

stafinois

Professional Nerd
That kind of comes across as blaming the victim.

It does. But at the same time, it seems like common sense as well. Sure, they were trying to be helpful and that's sweet. But, it's no secret that bullets fly and dogs get deployed in these situations, and you might get caught in the middle. I see it differently than the Kitty Genovese case, as there nothing was done. Miakoda was referring to those who jumped into the middle of a situation that police were already involved with.

I don't know. It wouldn't cross my mind to jump into the middle of a police situation as it just sounds like a good way to get hurt. Same with the guy who heard the helicopter. If I heard one, I'd lock my doors then peer out the window to see what's happening, not go outside!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It does. But at the same time, it seems like common sense as well. Sure, they were trying to be helpful and that's sweet. But, it's no secret that bullets fly and dogs get deployed in these situations, and you might get caught in the middle. I see it differently than the Kitty Genovese case, as there nothing was done. Miakoda was referring to those who jumped into the middle of a situation that police were already involved with.

I don't know. It wouldn't cross my mind to jump into the middle of a police situation as it just sounds like a good way to get hurt. Same with the guy who heard the helicopter. If I heard one, I'd lock my doors then peer out the window to see what's happening, not go outside!
Like the second **** night in our new house. We had a crazy drunk driver fly down the street, chased by two cop cars, slam into a neighbors parked car and the driver fled. Two cop cars turned into 6 and eventually foot patrol, sirens, and lights turned into a loud horn warning they were sending the dog.

What did we do? Checked the locks, uncrated Sloan, grabbed a gun, stayed out of the way and peered out the window. Were we wrong to not jump up and help the 12+ police and k9 unit? Doubtful, we would have been in the way so we stayed inside for not only our own good but theirs as well.

Pops2

Because these guys are going to run down every fleeing felon they come across

My friend Aaron, when he still live there, saw a guy running from some of these kind of cops in Orange CA. Since he was a pretty good amateur boxer back in the day he had no personal inhibitions about getting involved. Unfortunately for the crook Aaron was also walking his dogo Mikey (RIP). Aaron's first dogo Samson was the first one in the USA to achieve a Sch III. Although not titled, Mikey had also been PP trained. So Aaron let Mikey do what he was trained to do. Without breaking the skin, Mikey took the guy down & held him for the chubby cop to handcuff.
So while its nice in theory to say sit back & let the cops handle it, sometimes it's the wrong answer because they are less capable than you are.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
I don't know any police officers that look like that. Most departments have fitness standards that they need to pass.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I don't know any police officers that look like that. Most departments have fitness standards that they need to pass.
Yes...

Unfortunately for the crook Aaron was also walking his dogo Mikey (RIP). Aaron's first dogo Samson was the first one in the USA to achieve a Sch III. Although not titled, Mikey had also been PP trained. So Aaron let Mikey do what he was trained to do. Without breaking the skin, Mikey took the guy down & held him for the chubby cop to handcuff.
So while its nice in theory to say sit back & let the cops handle it, sometimes it's the wrong answer because they are less capable than you are.
That is an exciting story, to say the least, but why would I risk my health or my dogs by getting involved in something I fully trust a trained officer to handle?

Are you out policing with a cape?

Members online

No members online now.