Why drew you to the breed of dog you own?

What drew you to the breed of dog you own?

What drew you to "your" breed? Appearance, certain traits or quirks? :D

Last edited:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
What drew me to boxers? Well, I grew up with one. :p So when she passed away, getting another one (Juno) was the obvious choice. Without that, I don't think they're a breed I ever would have seriously considered on my own.

amberdyan

I knew I wanted some sort of herder (I don't really know what breed he is, but DEFINITELY a herder) because I was hoping for a high energy, at least fairly drivey, take-anywhere kind of dog. I actually went into it hoping for a female BC or BCx but I saw Hugo and his giant ears and we had to meet him. He went nuts for toys and treats but also wanted affection so we decided to take him home. Pretty sure I'll have herders/herder mixes for life. They just work so well for me in personality.

As far as appearance goes, I love BCs and Aussie appearance (and most mixes). I love the look of a well bred ACD too but I see a lot of weirdly squat, stocky ones here that I don't like. There are at least 2 that I see at the local pet store whose owners talk about how they're "true" ACDs and how they should be stocky and muscular. But their dogs aren't really... they're just fairly overweight with short legs.

ANYWAY. Short answer- drive, high energy, velcro-ness, intelligence, train ability

Equinox

German Shepherds - Initially (when I was getting mine) appearances, media portrayal, and that's about it LOL Working line GSDs appealed to me specifically because that's what everyone on the internet praised. Needless to say, I didn't quite go about it the right way :rofl1: Now I like them for their temperament, nerves, reliability, steadfastness, drive, judgement, instincts, defensive/forward nature, and appearances.

Malinois - personality, pure and simple. I only became truly interested in the breed after meeting more of them in person. I really kinda like them!

JacksonsMom

Honestly at the time of getting Jackson, nothing. I just wanted a puppy and it had to be hypoallergenic (family member allergic). LOL.

But I lucked out in getting a dog I really truly have enjoyed a TON. I like a lot of small terriers now because of him so likely will always have one.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Papillons: Mom wanted them and got them first. When I moved out I got them because I was renting and moving a lot. Apartment had a weight limit of 25 lbs at first and frankly it's easier to rent and apartment live with small dogs. I like their liveliness, human oriented temperament, they're cute, smart, trainable, good at agility. They're really great dogs.

Hank isn't a breed but I did go into getting him with a certain type in mind. I was really interested in him because over the years I've met a dozen or so small herder x terrier types and adored them all. I've loved the borderjacks and borderstaffs and then some of the mixes from the shelters too. I've known a few cattle dog x rats and one cattle dog x jack, one BC x rat, one bc/acd/jack. The bc/acd/jack is seriously the most perfect dog I've ever met. Compact, driven, balanced temperament, highly athletic, tenacious, powerful for his size, snuggly, good off switch, handler oriented, incredible learners.

Anyways, so I thought Hank had a chance of being that kind of dog and I am pretty convinced he is. He fits the ones I've known very well and hits most my checkmarks. There's also a dog in his agility class that could be a littermate- also a rescue. About 20 lbs, little taller than him and more petite. Also made with spring legs and high drive. She's softer, more reactive, and more BCish in temperament and looks and came back DNA test as a various terriers and BC. But she also really is a dog I'd love to own and work with.

Basically when I think about my favorite dogs ever a lot of these little mutts stick out above the rest for me. I'd definitely have many more be they purposely bred or rescues.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
My first dog was a cocker who was unbelievably sweet and benign enough to help small children overcome their fear after being bitten, she also had a major case of nasal-related deafness. When I decided to get a puppy, my biggest criteria was something that could reliably be trained to come when called. Originally I was considering schipperkes and shibas because of their size and appearance, but I figured out right away that they didn't fit. From there I determined that I wanted a mid-sized dog, not a large or small breed. It needed to not have a ton of coat, and not be too flat-faced.

I knew I wanted to do agility and everything else under the sun so herders were an easy pick. From there I decided that a cattledog, kelpie, or lighter-coated border collie would be a good fit. I spent several years taking riding lessons at a boarding stable that used a pair of little 25-lb blue heelers to round up their pasture cows. The little devils spent all day long moving the penning/roping calves around and then sprinting the length of the place to go check in with their humans. Back and forth all day, full speed, moving the cows around just for fun. I answered an ad in the paper for heeler mix puppies and bought Brisbane out of a barn on a cattle ranch.

He was a good fit, heelers are still my favorite herders. I love their handler focus, their velcro-like tendencies, and their ability to self-entertain at the same time. Having spent a lot of time with a lot of breeds now, I find BCs too needy and codependent, and Aussies too barky. I would probably love a kelpie or a koolie, but I dearly love freckly bitey heelers. The biting is a feature.

lancerandrara

Sports Lunatic
Mini Aussie/American Shepherd was not my first choice of breed, but my parents wouldn't allow any dogs that grow over 25~30 lbs. My first choice of breed was either Dobes or GSDs-- I liked both the media portrayal, their appearances, AND temperaments... (this was about 5~6 years ago) based on my limited research. But my parents wouldn't allow those size dogs AT ALL. So... options limited. :hail:

I didn't want anything too tiny, frail, or any smallwhitefluffies, and I wasn't into terriers/beards. I mainly looked for appearance and intelligence (now I know more, hopefully LOL). I was originally really into Papillons and their intelligence ratings online and all that (basically, trick learning skills), but I decided that they were too small/delicate for what I wanted. My first real choice was Brittanies. But there were no good breeders nearby, and when I showed my mom their pictures, she didn't love what they looked like enough (figures). Mini Aussie was my second choice, and my mom thought they were adorable... Sooo looked here and there, BYB galore but I had no idea, and Rara appeared.

We loved Rara through and through, from temperament to appearance to size... so my mom, one day, BROUGHT IT UP HERSELF, said she'd want another Mini Aussie. I said mhm, yes, agreed, Rara needs a friend obviously, yes of course. (more dogs? UM, YES PLEASE WANT.) By then, I'd already done all my research and become at least decently knowledgeable about the dog world and breeding. But I really wanted a Collie (still do). We were THIS CLOSE to picking up a sweet 35 lb Rough Collie from Southland Collie Rescue... when my mom suddenly came to the conclusion that the collie probably had dental issues that the rescue wasn't disclosing to us, AND she thought the collie was "too big", so the plan was dropped on literally the day before we were going to go visit her/pick her up. I was pretty upset.

Back to Mini Aussies, my mom found a random breeding between a farm working Aussie and an Aussie family pet way out in the country in the middle of nowhere. I still secretly really wanted a big dog. So when she showed me the pictures, I casually chose the biggest puppy in the litter... little does she know. LMAO. So Lancer appeared. And yeah, he's like 45 lbs now and his parents were both ~27 lbs, so my evil plan worked and nobody calls him a MAS anymore.

Still GSD for my next dog though. I COMPLETELY ADORE my dogs, but I'd love to work with different breeds of my own choice through research.

TL;DR Got Mini Aussies because my parents wanted small, smart dogs, I still would like a GSD or two in the future, got huge Lancer through secret evil plan.

Last edited:

thehoundgirl

Well I have mixes.. so it might not count but I will tell you why we chose the dogs we did.

Rudy - We didn't really choose him actually... he was an emergency rescue as he was being abused. My parents thought he was a cute pup and we took him in or he would have went to the shelter. He was supposed to be a 5 lb. dog full grown. Well, um he is around 30 lbs.

He is actually why I adore terrier They are just cute.. I know not everyone likes them but there's just something about a scruffy face I fall for since Rudy came into our lives. He is quirky and probably the most detailed dog I have ever seen. He is sensitive due to having a rough start.. but boy can that dog play and play! It makes me smile.

Dixie - She was brought into the shelter I worked at when she was 9 weeks old. Some guy brought her in and said she was abandoned in a dark alley and it was in the winter time. I actually think he owned her (who knows?) because he had a big bag of puppy chow and nobody came to claim her. Everyone wanted her though but I got first dibs since we fell in love. Thank goodness because she is such an amazing dog and greets us every morning when we wake up or we get back home from the store or whatever. With a toy in her mouth. :)

Well, I fell in love.. instantly. This was actually a year after our old dog Rocky died and I just think she was meant to be. My dad said "no more dogs" .. but I had to show him and my mom Dixie who my boss named Fritza. He instantly fell in love with her because she arooed at him and wagged her little nub of a tail fiercely.

She was full of personality and hasn't changed a bit except turned into a dog lol. 5 years later she is just amazing and a dork. We fell in love with her not only because she was a cute little scruffy faced Schnauzer mix ..but her personality as well. We just love her to bits.

Buster (RIP) was chosen because we had a basset hound/beagle mix when I was little. He was the best coonhound ever and not only was he a cute pup but he was the most goofiest dog ever. He loved his food and he loved life until the end. We were so glad that he has came into our lives and have many wonderful memories of him being with us for 10 years. What was funny is he would spill his dog food.. every day lol as if there was something better at the bottom. He is greatly missed.

Sorry for the long post.

LMost

1) Kid friendly, (well now it's grandchildren friendly), but they just seem to always love kids and naturally protect them. It can be the way there gentle with them, or the simple look they give a stranger passing by.

Past the above there extremely lovable giant lugs who always want to be with you. A sound mastiff of true temperament is a majestic creature.

They bark very rarely, generally just to alert, and while they love to rough house, there just as content with a nice long walk. There also with lot of socialization and exposure, animal friendly, human friendly, and basically a bombproof dog.

Fable's personality is what made me want to adopt her, and I think even if she was a different breed, I still would have kept her. Her gentle and calm demeanor are really what drew me to her, but her perfection is also a cool feature. :p

I love ACD's in general because they are awesome insane bitey shark dogs. Fable is certainly not like that (except on full moons), but if I were to go out and actively look for a dog, I would be drawn to the more intense and energetic dogs. I also love the ACD's tendency to be very velcro-y and how handler-oriented they are. Also the speckles. I love the speckles.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
When I was young, a Border Collie ended up coming to live with us after her owner (friends of the family), had a stroke and could no longer care for his farm.
AJ was one of the smartest dogs I had ever met. She may not have had the tricks and training that many dogs have, but I didn't have the skills then either.
But she was just so different from the dogs I had encountered up until that point.

Years after her death I had been stuck on the breed. I also developed a love for dog sports. So when the time was right (okay, really it wasn't, but it worked out), my parents finally allowed me to get a Border Collie pup.

Rigby was listed as a Border Collie x Kelpie mix, and had the best ears I'd ever seen. She was mine from the moment I saw her picture.

I got Oz because at the time, I thought beagles were cute after reading/watching Shiloh and I wasn't allowed to get another Border Collie just yet. He will be my only beagle.

Ruby needed a new home, and was the right size for our household.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Boxer was an impulse buy because I liked her brother. They are gorgeous, but if I have any say we will not have another.

ACDs have been on my list for close to 10 years (though I flip flopped between BCs at times as well). I wanted an all around farm dog who could tackle cows, trail ride with me and be a go everywhere/do everything dog. Medium size, hard personality, extremely velcro and handler oriented with a wash and wear coat. I just liked the sound of them in general. I did think they were super ugly to begin with, though! I much preferred the look of the BC. They just fit real well. Now I love the look and I'm even more addicted to everything about them.

Now their drive and love for OB training really appeals to me as well. :)

Elrohwen

I wanted a fun, med energy, med drive dog who would generally be friendly with adults, kids, dogs, and small pets. I wanted something relatively biddable to dabble in dog sports and definitely velcro and cuddly. Medium sized. I prefer feathered coats. A herder seemed like possibly too much dog, since this would be our first dog as adults and childhood dogs were petty easy going, so I decided to stick with the sporting group.

I looked at brittanies because I liked the one I knew and DH grew up with one though I wasn't crazy about what I read online about hyperactivity and never settling. Also, most breeders I found were breeding for hunting, not family pet/sport dogs. A friend worked with someone who had Welshies and she thought they would be perfect for me. I did some research and never looked back.

Doberluv

It's interesting to read about the different ways you came into the breed you all have. I enjoyed reading these posts.

I've had several different breeds over the years and have loved them for different reasons and at different times in my life, one might have made more sense than another.

My most recent additions, my two Toy Poodles I decided on because I'm getting older and small just seems the way to go. Plus, I have/had Chihuahuas for over a decade and they worked out so well. But this time I wanted to try something I hadn't had before.

I liked the idea of Poodles for their extreme intelligence. They're really a thinking breed and so quick to learn new things...one or two reps and they're got most things. BUT...that is not always a good thing, that intelligence. It means they question things sometimes and do have a touch of that "mind of their own" thing going on. But not too extreme. I just need to be more creative and think of new ways to motivate them better. Anyhow, they are extremely cheerful, happy little things, friendly to people and other dogs and I like that. They both come from an excellent breeder and they have stupendous temperaments...stable, happy, confident and smart. The breed is very loyal and very attached to it's owner and they often tend toward separation anxiety but mine don't because they have each other or maybe they wouldn't anyhow.

Little Matisse especially (he's a little bigger than Maurice) is very, very fast and athletic. He will make a terrific agility dog once I'm through with conformation. He's very drivey, enthusiastic, agile and strong. (for his size) I wasn't so sure I wanted too high of energy in a dog. But I decided to brave it. Matisse is very high energy, Maurice...less and so much more laid back. Matisse is so busy that it can make one's head spin. But...that's what makes him so interesting and fun. He's a kick. It is getting channeled now that he's getting older (19 months) but he's got that high level enthusiasm going on with everything he does. Maurice, on the other hand is very laid back...energetic enough and really zips along on our walks and gets the zoomies, but he'll sit quietly for a long time and just chill where Matisse is just on the go most of his waking hours. He is settling down some what now.

I wasn't so sure about all the grooming (it took me a year to make up my mind about that. lol) but it's become a hobby of sorts. I actually enjoy it and it's a bonding time. Matisse is the one who takes a lot more care with that show coat. Maurice...not so much because I keep him short. But I LOVE their hair. It's beautiful and you can do so many different things with it. Plus, I love the look of Poodles, their dry mouths, long muzzles...just really pretty little dogs. I prefer the clean shaven look which shows off their pretty faces better.

Finally, I decided on the toy size in this breed, not only because I'm down to small dogs these days, but because they don't have too many health issues as the bigger ones. I really got slammed when I lost my Doberman. He had several health problems. And I specifically wanted a breed with a better track record and was careful as could be who I chose for a breeder.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
When I started looking for a dog I really didn't have much in the way of "wants." All I knew I wanted was a companion to walk/hang out with that would be good with kids (since I have younger siblings/lots of cousins). DH and I liked the look of Sibes and Malamutes, but we sort of figured that our house/yard wasn't big enough for one of those (which I know now wouldn't have actually been an issue LOL). We ended up just looking at a list of AKC breeds to get an idea (we were not totally opposed to rescuing a mix though), fell in love with the looks of the Finnish Spitz, did research and went to visit a breeder a couple of hours from us (Finkkila's Finnish Spitz), and fell in love with them :D

They are always up for an adventure, have the biggest personalities, make the cutest noises, and I think they are pretty trainable for what I want to do. They love their people and do warm up to new friends pretty quickly (both dog and human). Plus I think they are gorgeous <3

Honestly? Looks. I love big smushy wrinkly faces. I went for Pei mixes that LOOK very Pei. I do think now, after dealing with Astro's quirks, that Pei are fairly suited to me in a lot of ways, even with my lack of planning; I adore how quiet and independent they are, they aren't super high energy, and they are clowns for their family. They love their people with their whole hearts even if they aren't as demonstrative as lots of other breeds. Looking back it could've been so much worse, I really don't mind Astro's total lack of biddability and tendency to RG nearly as much as I wound up disliking other potential dog traits.

Going into whippets I've been much more methodical. I was drawn to them because I had a humongous list of traits I wanted fulfilled (quiet, good off switch but more athletic than Shar Pei, no DA tendencies, less guardiness, sport prospect for a loooong list of sports, wash n wear coat with no feathers, no reactivity). Whippets were basically the only thing that fit all of them. Truth be told I like the sighthound looks but it had to grow on me, I naturally go for a totally different look.

Wow, everyone's reasons are so interesting :)

I personally was drawn to German Shepherds because I grew up with them. All but one dogs I had growing up were German Shepherd mixes (the other was a BC mix) and I love their looks and their personalities. They're stunning dogs, imo, sturdy and noble-looking, but are able to be goofy as well. GSDs are also so biddable and willing to please, but are also thoughtful in a way and I love that. If I didn't grow up with GSDs I honestly don't know what breed I would have gone for -- maybe I wouldn't even like dogs at all.

Shih Tzu - love the sassy personality, do-what-I-want, independent attitude. My shih tzu is actually very drivey and was really fun to train. At the time we got her, we both worked full time and I wanted a small dog we could fly often with and who wouldn't mind TOO much being left all day. She's an awesome dog for me.

Bouvier - love their calm, dignified personality. Learn very quickly, fun to train. Not a pushover, but not aggressive. Great with kids. I love our pup (he's now 6 months), and can't imagine that it took me this long to own a Bouvier.

This dog:

Mammoth came home when I was 16 (15?). After a month-and-a-half he wagged his tail one day when I went outside to get him for a walk. He was 8-ish, blind, arthritic, and nearly 20 pounds underweight. And for the next 4 years he was my best friend. I loved that he was protective, steady, athletic, and serious.

(Also maybe TMI, but the week after I brought Mammoth home, my mom busted my lip and he went after her. It was the only time he bit anyone and the last time she hit me.)

At this point in my life I can't imagine having any other dog in my life!

Members online

No members online now.