What are your experiences with the Presa Canario?

Amstaffer

I am not looking to buy one I just thought I would start a thread on an interesting breed. I know anyone can do a search and find info on a breed but I would like people to share their life experiences with this breed.

:popcorn:

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
I've met a few, and they were all strong-willed (but good tempered) dogs. And, as for their owners; they were all experienced, and I'm sure that contributes to how well the dogs were. ;)

They are amazing dogs though. I'd love to own one someday.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Extremely strong willed dogs. You must be very experienced to own a Presa.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Yes, they definately have a mind of their own and think they are the boss. They will try and get away with anything and everything. My trainer said he even had trouble training one that was brought to him.

We just happen to be blessed with an amazing owner/breeder/enthusiast of Presas. Her name is Deb but she goes by Geisthexe on here. If you PM her, Im sure she would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. She''s the one who is mentoring me with weightpulling with Ronan. Really a very awesome lady who is highly intelligent and really knows what she is doing when it comes to her dogs!!!! Not to mention her dogs are absolutely STUNNING!!!!!

I have shown about 15 of them thru the years.
Very hard dogs.
Yet most have passed the CGC we did at the Presa Nationals under then Pres of the Canary Islands club.

He spent that evening at our house over Barq and showed us tons of pics of how the breed has developed.
He also looked at our Dogs USA and commented back then how many of the dogs were of mixed origin.

They are under recent acceptance by FCI as a propbation status.

I just picked up 2 of them in Buffalo a few months ago to bring them back to their breeder. The dogs did not know me but after encourgement they did well.

HOwever from past work I know that if they both got into it I could NOT correct them.

They do NOT accept corrections from strangers or handlers they know just a bit. They are really one people dogs or one small family dogs immediate family.

Years ago with the misshap in CA ethical breeders STOPPED breeding until the kaos died down. Others tripled the breedings.

Back then Tracey Hennings founder of the Presa club over a decade ago I sent the reporters too for help.
Her Kennel is Darkforce and she is a seasoned breeder thou not breeding often since she had twin boys.

Very famous Presa named Jazz owned by the DR and handled by L Ortiz
took BIS at the Arba CB under Annie Clark ( she just passed away).
She commented on how great this dog moved and the power this breed posseses.

They can be owner dominate ive even seen a few pee on their owners.
They need knowledgable owners..

But when in comes to Protection they are top ranked.
One just recently got a bad guy druggie breaking into a basement apartment of this guys MOM. Mom had Trumun over Trumun had the bad guy by the shoulder the complete shoulder in his mouth.

Bad guy NONE Presa ZIP

Note FCI now calls them Dogo Canario.

Hope this helps .

skyeboxer

I live in Tenerife. Presas are not uncommon here. The Canaries are not named for the birds. The name comes from Cana - dogs. Presas originate here.

My neighbour has one and her daughter still has the litter-sister. You could not wish for a better neighbour dog than Elfa. When she happens to come round to my house to say hello, the worst thing she does is pick up my favourite leather/chain flip flop and carry it around in her mouth.

She is an absolute sweetheart as is her sister (yes, the one who had the oops litter for anyone who remembers that thread). In fact, I have yet to meet an aggressive or bad to the bone presa and I have lived here for six years.

Amstaffer, if you want some links to websites to breeders of the original presas, I'll PM them to you.

Amstaffer

Not looking to get another dog, I just was reading about them and I was wondering what people had to say about them.

Thanks for the info.

Members online

No members online now.