Sigh***

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Augh.

I just got slammed by a friend who is hard core into rescuing shelter dogs that I an adding to the over population of dogs in shelters because I will be going the reputable breeder route and not the shelter rescue route.....Sigh!

Has this ever happened to you?

mrose_s

BusterLove
When I got Quinn I had everyone at work saying "I can't believe your not rescuing" or "I would NEVER go to a breeder, I would always go to a pound"
It's good that the word is getting out that rescue is a great route and if I didn't have very specific plans for Quinn I would have rescued except I wanted a puppy that I knew the background of, that I knew had a good start and that I knew would be drivey, trainable and intense, considering it will be years before I get another dog I really wanted her to be my perfect match.

Snark

Mutts to you
Nope, fortunately, but your 'friend' has no right to slam your choice and you might remind her that reputable breeders do NOT add to the number of dogs in shelters.

Toller_08

That happens pretty regularly, I find. I usually just ignore them and carry on with life, or sometimes I'll stop and try to explain why I chose the breeder route and how I'm not killing a shelter dog because of my choice. They normall don't want to hear the latter though, since they're already set in their ways.

I think as far as dogs go, there will always be something you choose to do regarding dogs that somebody will want to criticize you for, being as we all raise dogs differently, and believe in different things as far as our dogs are concerned. :)

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Snark, that is exactly what I told her :)

And Rose Same here. I dont plan on getting another dog for a couple years, and I have not pin pointed what breed I am getting yet, but I am reasearching breeders, and breeders right now. I know what I want in a dog and what I dont want. I also want a dog who's parents are health tested, especially for a large breed.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
The problem is, rescue has become fashionable, and breeders, reputable or not, have become or are becoming "taboo". On TV there are the dog food commercials like Pedigree, promoting awareness of shelter dogs with their "Don't pity a shelter dog, adopt one." campaign, those ASPCA commercials featuring that song by Sara McLaughlin, etc. Its good that there is more awareness, but these days "SAVE THE POOR SHELTER DOGS BEFORE THEY DIE!!!" is being drilled into people's heads, making those who go the breeder route look bad. Hopefully someday we can reach a healthy balance.

Maura

I'm glad that rescuing is fashionable. But, I like to see those who do it right be rewarded. Why not pay a reputable breeder money for making sure the litter is as healthy as possible? I'm in rescue and I don't get slammed because I went to a breeder for my border collie. They are happy that I am fostering dogs, making them adoptable. Personally, I think there would be many fewer dogs in shelters if people stopped getting their puppies from puppy mills and back yard breeders.

Members online

No members online now.