So this rubbed me the wrong way...

Bailey08

If it makes you feel better, AC, if you are ever a landlord, you can still discriminate against people with purple hair. ;)

At the end of the day, the law is the law, but plenty of people work around it, for better or for worse. I, who have decided to stay out of the home ownership market until things settle down some more, just signed a lease for a place that a family with two young kids (and, separately, two guys) had applied for.

Last edited:
My understanding is if the lease has an agreement for animals it would be very hard for a landlord to get rid of the pets after the lease was signed.

I learned something new! Honestly, I have STILL seen ads in the paper (and elsewhere) for apts (and even in trailer parks) where it specifically says NO CHILDREN/ADULTS ONLY. I will have to post it next time I see it, LOL

And furthermore, if I owned the property in question, I think it sounds like it would be against MY RIGHTS to dictate who I can/cannot, should/should not rent to........if I wanted someone with no pets, no kids, non smoker, certain age group, or purple hair, I think I should be able to decide that MYSELF........providing of course I do not accept any government funds for said property.

I hear ya. I considered renting my house briefly -- and you can bet I had no intentions of renting to someone with children. I did not want the liability -- nor the damage that I've seen too many times that comes with children because their parents don't care because it's rented. :(

ACooper

If it makes you feel better, AC, if you are ever a landlord, you can still discriminate against people with purple hair. ;)
:p I meant that I wanted to rent to people with purple hair, not deny them because of the purple hair and /or neighbors' complaints! LOL For the record, I have no issues with purple hair :rofl1:

And yes, I guess you could still work around the law by not renting to them for 'other reasons'.......or just not give a reason at all and pick someone else, I'm sure that's the way it actually works same way it works in the job market. The phrase "you're just not what we are looking for" covers a whole plethora of areas and leaves it gray.

darkchild16

We are Home.
In florida they have a BUNCH that are no kids. BUT its like 55 or older, there is a age limit. Most are retirement trailer parks.
We also have retirement communities where you cant buy unless you are X age.

Nice 2 Bedroom Homes in Gorgeous Retirement Community

Pleasantville Mobile Homes Move-In Special

Hillcrest in Clearwater, FL

This one is right down the street from my moms house. They dont even allow pets inside and you own these. Riviera Estates in Clearwater, FL

There usually in the newspaper more so but we have things like this. heck we have more of those then regular rentals :yikes::rofl1:

But yea not getting a dog because it MIGHT bark thats ridiculous.

Last edited:

noludoru

Bored Now.
I hear ya. I considered renting my house briefly -- and you can bet I had no intentions of renting to someone with children. I did not want the liability -- nor the damage that I've seen too many times that comes with children because their parents don't care because it's rented. :(
For this reason, and this reason alone, I fully agree with being able to discriminate against people renting with children. They cause SO MUCH DAMAGE. Not all children, obviously, but maybe 70% of them are endless mess-makers. I helped Zoom for a couple days repainting and repairing apartments for rent that had been trashed by the previous tenants and their children - it's ridiculous. Seeing those apartments actually convinced me that children are evil. :eek:

Sweet72947

Squishy face
For this reason, and this reason alone, I fully agree with being able to discriminate against people renting with children. They cause SO MUCH DAMAGE. Not all children, obviously, but maybe 70% of them are endless mess-makers. I helped Zoom for a couple days repainting and repairing apartments for rent that had been trashed by the previous tenants and their children - it's ridiculous. Seeing those apartments actually convinced me that children are evil. :eek:
X2

My friend bought a townhouse (it was a foreclosure), and some people with kids had lived in it before she did and they repainted every wall because there was pen/pencil/crayon scrawled all over them, and they had to steam clean the carpets a few times because there were quite a few stains on them (what in the world did those kids keep spilling that was orange??). The basement carpeting they just ripped up because it was so bad and redid the floor.

As to the OP, FOHA has adopted plenty of dogs to those who rent, and I have seen no correlation between returns and whether people own or rent their properties. In fact, most returns happen because people are stupid.

Members online

No members online now.