Am I overreacting?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
As many of you know I want a Border Collie someday.

My mom just told me that I was acting like Millie wasn't important enough because she's not a purebred BC, and that I remind her of the Aryan Nation.

I'm so, so hurt by that comment. I've just been crying and crying because I can't believe that my mom would say something like that. I know she likes mutts and doesn't see the need for a purebred, but I never thought she'd think that badly of me for wanting one.

Being compared to a racist, ant-Semitic group doesn't feel very good either.

And the thing that hurts me the most is that she thinks I would disregard Millie like that. She's my heart dog, my best friend, the only one who's always been there for me. There will never be a dog I love the way I love her.

I just needed to vent. :(

Xandra

WTF????? That comment was TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR.

Someone has their human beings and their dogs mixed up I think :confused:

And beyond that, it's a terrible analogy. If you were going to put Millie outside and feed her lesser food and take better care of the BC she might be on to something... but wow. I think she needs to get to know you better.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh, Virginia....((((((((((((((((((((MANYHUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

PM or text me if you need to.

I got that comment a ton from people when I got Blaze. "What, Lizzie isn't good enough". :mad:

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
(((((HUGS))))))

That was absolutely uncalled for and out of line on so many levels.

Paige

Let it be
I would be upset too. You're allowed to plan ahead and know what you want as far as your next dog goes and there is nothing wrong with wanting something different or wanting a purebred. It's not like you are getting a dog to replace your old one. Millie is awesome. We all know that. Your next dog will be just as awesome, but it pure or mixed.

Pops2

wow we should get your mom together w/ my MIL who likes to dump dogs. they deserve each other.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
If some random stranger said it, I would have been irritated, but not hurt like I was.

The thing is, I was also shocked because she's usually an awesome mom- so understanding and kind, gives me space to be who and what I want to be, supportive, and aware of my passion for animals. She hasn't said anything like this in my entire memory of being alive. It was always my dad who was an ass, my mom was my sanctuary. So I couldn't even believe it came out of her mouth.

I talked to her about and she said she didn't mean it, that she knows how much I love Millie, and she doesn't really think I'm like that at all. She said since Millie's such a velcro dog she thinks a new dog would hurt her feelings. She also said that "purebred" is a gross term to her because her father was a Nazi and he threw those types of words around describing the superior race, so it gives her a bad feeling. She was crying and told me she was sorry, that hurting her daughter was the worst thing a mother could do.
(Off topic, but a few years ago when I discovered my grandfather was a Nazi and owned authentic SS officer uniforms that he paid a fortune for, well it was weird.)

I don't think this justified what she said, but I feel a little better at least having *some* idea where she was coming from.

Pops, thanks for the support, since gathering by your response you don't think I'm overreacting, buy my mom would never dump a dog. Sometimes she has ideas that I don't understand, but at her core she's a very compassionate person.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I'm glad you could talk to her. I know you two are close. ((((((morehugs)))))))

Pops2

whisper i was thinking my MIL & your mom are extremes on the opposite ends of the spectrum. can you imagine the fun of watching all that hostility?
when you say your grandfather was a nazi, do you mean the real deal or an american wannabe dumb @$$ kind?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Gotcha. ;)
Well, he wasn't exterminating people in the 40s, but he wasn't just a wannabe skinhead either. He was Danish but lived in Germany for a time and was part of some strange underground group of the people who still mourned and supported Hitler after they lost WWII. He had genuine SS uniforms. I don't know much about it, since no one knew what he did. We only know what we found based on sorting through his belongings, letters, etc. after he died.
I knew he wasn't the nicest man in the world but I never knew what kind of man he was until he died.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'm glad that you were able to talk to your mom about it.

That was a really hurtful comment she made :( We all know you wouldn't love Millie any less!

mrose_s

BusterLove
When I told people I was getting Quinn everyone asked what happened to Buster or what I was going to do with him now.

I still love him just as much as I aways have, the last few weeks he hasn't got as much 1 on 1 attention as normal but that will get easier when Puppy isn't under constant surveillance and I'm not relying on Buster to be ny right hand man in helping me with her.

Mum was great with me getting Quinn, she was saying for year she wished I could get a BC to do what I wanted, Buster is an awesome dog but he's never going to be into what I want to do, so the pressure is off him now. She was very supportive of me getting a BC eventhough she's always had mutts, it was the right fit for me.

Members online