Can you leave your dog out loose while you are gone?

DJEtzel

Pup, pup is going to be kennel trained, during the day he is going to spend it in an X-pen in the kitchen, where Teagan spends most her time looking out the window on the bench. And during the night he will be kept in a kennel beside our bed. Teagan and Pup Pup will probably never be left un-crated when we are gone so his kennel will probably be moved into the living room or the kitchen. I am hoping to switch his kennel for a bed in the bedroom once he is older. Or we will just give in and let him sleep on the bed- NOT!!
Can I ask why you refer to him as this, with the comma and everything? I've been confused for weeks...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Jasper- Yes but closed into the guest room. He is still really young and I want to make extra sure he his safe from himself.

Sophie- Yes
Damon- Yes he just sleeps while we are gone.
Piper- Yes

Max- Yes but in the Basement with no carpet. If there is carpet he will dig it up from his anxiety/ boredom.
I am a firm believer in puppy safe rooms. I have come home once and found a pup with her head stuck in a gallon jug sized thermos that had had nothing it but water and not even that in a long time. Why she stuck her head in it, I do not know. I am just grateful that I had decided not to go to the grocery store. Her head was very wet, and she didn't have minutes left. It wasn't easy to get her out either. She had been on the bed alseep, and I just wanted to jot down the street to the station and right back so I didn't think I would wake her. NEver again.
Mine are loose, but they are all adults and know how to behave.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Chloe: Yes

Violet : No

Violet gets left out over night now, and doesn't get into anything, but only because she knows we're in the house. When were gone she gets into things and chews up stuff.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Hawkeye: Yes and also yes in anyone's home he's just not a destructive dog at all.

Kechara: yes but must be confined to an area of the house not known to have any edibles, because of this she is gaited off to a hallway, bedroom,bathroom area.

Lark: No, must be crated while we are away. However she's getting better, she can now be left in the house alone while we are outside or left unsupervised in the house while we are doing things around the house.

Airn

Gwen is left out now. We need to put away food because she's crafty. For the most part, she's fine. She hate being left in a room, though. Esp if we're there.(Playing with ferrets without her)

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Harlow: Probably
Rider: Probably
Lucy: No

I'm kind of afraid to see what would happen if anything went wrong. I just feel better with them in crates. Lol.

JacksonsMom

Yep, practically since day one. I did try the crating thing for a few weeks but it ended quickly. We've never really crated any of our animals for too long. He's even very trustworthy in someone else's home. If we're dogsitting a friends dog for example and their dogs are crated and I leave for a bit, I just leave Jackson loose. He's totally fine.

BostonBanker

Meg has always been fine loose. There's not a destructive bone in her body.

Gusto is loose now, but was crated when he was younger (probably until about a year?). I do close off doors if there is stuff he might really get into (bathroom trash, etc).

Aleron

The Belgians for the most part are good and able to be loose unsupervised. They're never all left loose together when no one is here and the ones who are loose are often gated or in separate room due to personality differences, cat pestering, alarm barking out the front window or reproductive abilities.

Savvy...ummmm....no. Sometimes he can barely be trusted loose when we're home :rofl1:

And on an unrelated note, I call all puppies Pup-pup LOL

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Moses: Yes.

Cali: No... although if it's only for an hour or two, I section off a room of the house and just bring in her crate, beef trachea, some toys then food/water. I'd worry too much if I left her loose any longer... plus I know she'd likely get into trouble. :p

Toller_08

Keira: Nope. She paces and stresses when left alone loose and prefers to be confined to a smaller area. And she's a terrible counter surfer and I wouldn't put it past her to get into cupboards either.

Ripley: Yes. I leave him gated in our basement and when we move I'll probably leave him gated in my bedroom instead (just because of the way the new house is set up). He's a good boy and doesn't get himself into trouble, and it saves him from sucking and eating his crate blankets.

Dance: Sort of. I just have to make sure there are no clothes or blankets laying around, because she eats them for some reason. And I have to make sure bedrooms are closed and bathrooms so that she can't get into garbages, toilet paper or has the chance to pee on anybody's bed (she did that to mine once a few years ago and lost my trust with bedrooms). I gate her with Ripley often and she's always fine. And again, it saves her from laying in her crate with no blankets as she's lost crate blanket privileges after swallowing entire chunks. All I could envision was a blockage surgery in her future.

Journey: Haven't tried, but I actually think she'd be fine left loose. But since Ripley and Dance are left loose, I don't want her left with them. She'd bug Ripley all day to play probably and I don't want Dance to get mad at her for bugging her while I'm not around (in case it turned into a fight, which my dogs have never done, but who knows when there aren't people around). Not only that, but Dance is also an insecure bad influence and I try to let Journey spend as little time with her as possible.

Every one except Shambles? Yes. They've never been crated.

Shambles? I don't know. Do I care to find out? Not really. Any one is welcome to borrow him and leave them in their houses alone to find out. :p

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Not only that, but Dance is also an insecure bad influence and I try to let Journey spend as little time with her as possible.
Why is that? I don't mean to pick but I have never seen a dog with a confident temperament pick up bad things from being around less confident dogs. I do think it may help less confident dogs to be around more confident ones but more or less my dogs are what their temperament is. Mia's aversion/fear of people doesn't seem to rub off on Summer's love of people nor the other way around.

Members online

No members online now.