Bringing a puppy home on a plane

Toller_08

Has anyone ever flown to pick up their puppy and brought it back home on a plane before?

This is something I am going to have to do sometime either very soon (hopefully) or next year and it will be a totally new experience for me. Just the sheer idea of flying all alone to meet a breeder and their dogs is nervewracking, nevermind bringing the puppy back. I don't know anyone who has done it before but figured somebody here must have.

The flight is appox 5 hours. But you also have to be at the airport ahead of boarding time too. What do you do about puppy bathroom breaks? Once we're all checked in at the airport, am I allowed to leave to take the puppy outside somewhere before we board? Will a young puppy be ok on a plane for that long?

Also, they say the puppy has to fly under the seat. Does that mean puppy has to stay in the carrier the whole time and I'm not allowed to hold it?

Not only have I never flown with a pet before, but I've also only ever been on a plane twice ever. Once when I was really young and then again this past January so I'm not overly experienced with any of it. I am sure the airline would also have answers to all these questions, but I like to hear peoples' actual experiences.

I know lots of other people have done it, so it must be fine, but I don't know what to expect at all.

Fran27

Well in my experience the carrier won't fit under the seat. So I'm not sure how it's supposed to work. I brought my cat to the US in a plane, the staff was great and the plane not full, and they put me in a seat with nobody next to me so I could put her carrier there. Not too sure what I would have done otherwise... And no, not allowed to take the pet out once in the plane. My cat had to hold it the whole time (I took her out in the bathroom at the gate though, leashed, but she didn't go), eventually peed in her carrier 5 minutes from the house.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- IN CABIN. You'll need a carrier, and yea, if you are flying the pup in cabin it will have to stay in the carrier under the seat in front of you (/in your foot area) the whole time. Which sucks :/ I know.
Depending on the airline, you either call and book the pet on your flight with your ticket early or do it at check-in. If you are doing it at check in,I would check in early just to make SURE you get your spot (they only allow a certain amount of in cabin animals) It's usually from $50-150 one way

*also, depending on how crowded the flight is and how nice your flight attendants are.. they might let you take puppy out and hold him/her. I've had flights where it was encouraged lol

- Once you are checked in, you are basically in (you can't come in and out without going through security again)
So check to see if your airport has smokers outdoor spots or pet relief areas.
Worse comes to worse.. I have used put newspaper down on a bathroom stall lol

- In my experience, puppy will be fine on a plane for that long. Something about the white noise.. most dogs just fall asleep. Romeo (while being an adult..is smaller than the average pup) has been on longer flights than that no breaks in a carrier.

Just make sure to tire the pup out before boarding and perhaps a chew bone and familiar smelling blanket/sweater. and of course emergency cleaning supplies just in case (wipes, towel, plastic bags etc..)

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I have done this on an 8 hour flight. Actually a 2 hour and an 8 hour flight.

First, tell the breeder to get the puppy used to being in a small crate. I used a Large size Sherpa bag. It's soft and slides under the seat.

The airlines may have special seats assigned for puppies, so make your reservation with the airline by phone, and the puppy reservation at the same time. Because I am large, I paid a little extra for an extra seat for the flight home since it was 8 hours. The second seat should be cheaper because some fees are waived. Sometimes the airlines give a 25% discount for the second seat.

Buy puppy pads. Take the puppy (in the bag) into the bathroom at the airport, have the pad down on the floor. Place the puppy directly on the pad and it will pee immediately 90% of the time. Technically, the puppy should be in the crate at all times, but I let him sit on my lap in the Amsterdam airport and nobody minded. I did NOT let him on the floor at any time.

My puppy made it through 7 hours of the flight before it had to pee. Yes the puppy must stay in the carrier, so I brought the puppy in carrier into the airplane lav and covered the entire floor with puppy pads. Easy because those lavs are so small to start with.

5 hours should be fine for the puppy to hold it if he's tired and gotten used to the crate ahead of time. People do this all the time, so don't worry about it.

I also had a Dry Fur pad inside the bag. It's like a diaper and will absorb liquids but keep a dry outer layer.

Have fun!

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I wished I had brought some Claritin with me because 2 of the passengers near me were allergic and the flight was full.

No matter what anybody says, the puppy must stay inside the bag during the flight! Make sure you tire him out before you enter the airport if you need to.

Toller_08

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it. :)

Sounds like it might be quite the adventure for me but will definitely all be totally worth it! Here's hoping she'll be nice and tired and sleep the entire way home, and the idea for puppy pads is good just in case. Except other passengers might think that's unsanitary. Hopefully I don't end up sitting next to anyone with allergies or a fear of dogs and that it will all just go nice and smooth.

Grab

I've only flown with my cat, years ago. She did fine on the 2.5 hour flight, plus being at the airport a few hours early. THEN it was supposed to be an hour and a half drive from the airport home, but our car broke down in the desert so we had to wait for a tow truck, which towed us into town, they looked at the car, tried to overcharge us for the part, then had to put the car back together so we could drive home. In all that time she never peed, lol.

Aleron

I'm not sure a Koolie puppy will be small enough to fly in cabin. My friend looked into flying a Terv pup from Sweden to US and at 8 weeks that pup was already too big. Check out the dimensions, I think the highest the carrier can be is under 12".

Toller_08

What do they do if the puppy is crying or barking? I've always wondered that.
I've thought about that too, but hopefully I would be able to keep her quiet with something to chew on and knowledge that somebody is with her. Most puppies only seem to make a huge fuss if you leave them though. Hopefully others around me would be able to put up with some quiet whining here and there.

I've only flown with my cat, years ago. She did fine on the 2.5 hour flight, plus being at the airport a few hours early. THEN it was supposed to be an hour and a half drive from the airport home, but our car broke down in the desert so we had to wait for a tow truck, which towed us into town, they looked at the car, tried to overcharge us for the part, then had to put the car back together so we could drive home. In all that time she never peed, lol.
Wow, sounds like a rough trip!

I'm not sure a Koolie puppy will be small enough to fly in cabin. My friend looked into flying a Terv pup from Sweden to US and at 8 weeks that pup was already too big. Check out the dimensions, I think the highest the carrier can be is under 12".
Change of plans and puppy will not be a Koolie, but still a fairly similar sized breed. That's good to know though and I will check into things for sure and will talk with the breeder some more as well of course once I know whether puppy is coming in a few weeks or from her next planned litter.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Change of plans and puppy will not be a Koolie, but still a fairly similar sized breed. That's good to know though and I will check into things for sure and will talk with the breeder some more as well of course once I know whether puppy is coming in a few weeks or from her next planned litter.
Oh noes :( though I was wondering in what world Australia is a 5 hour flight LOL what breed?!

Michiyo-Fir

The puppy also has to be able to comfortably stand up and turn around in the crate. According to air Canada, even my 7 lbs papillon isn't allowed to fly in the cabin because she's too tall when she stands up and her head touches the top of the carrier so she has to duck. She can still stand and turn but that's not ok. That's not considered comfortably enough...

Toller_08

Oh noes :( though I was wondering in what world Australia is a 5 hour flight LOL what breed?!
Haha if Australia was a 5 hour flight I would have visited there a hundred times already! Always wanted to go.

You'll have to wait and see! I don't want to announce anything yet until I know for sure what's happening. :)

It's a breed I've liked for a long time though. I remember when I was 10 or 11 I wrote this story in school about me and my future dog of this breed haha. Over the years I didn't think it would actually ever happen, as other breeds took my interest, but this is one that constantly keeps coming back and crossing my mind. I feel really good about the breed (and breeder) decision. Only one downside: it's a fluffy breed too and all I can think of is the now 8 furry grinch feet I am going to have to trim every month, and the now 4 fuzzy grinch ears I will have to tidy monthly also between Dance and puppy. But that's ok. Hair is pretty, even if it is a little extra time consuming!

The puppy also has to be able to comfortably stand up and turn around in the crate. According to air Canada, even my 7 lbs papillon isn't allowed to fly in the cabin because she's too tall when she stands up and her head touches the top of the carrier so she has to duck. She can still stand and turn but that's not ok. That's not considered comfortably enough...
Really? I would have thought most small dogs would be fine, but apparently not. Definitely lots to look into. I wonder if different airlines have different rules? Probably not though. Hopefully she'll be able to be small enough to fly in the cabin. We'll see. Lots to figure out!

Aww. I was looking forward to Koolie pics but Ill be loving your new pup just as much ;)

p.s Im also starting to understand your reasoning for changing your plans :rolleyes:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Belgian? Aussie? Border Collie?

I know, I'm being nosy. Secretly hoping for terv puppy pics. Cause Fran is providing the Aussie pics for now.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
What do they do if the puppy is crying or barking? I've always wondered that.
My puppy just slept through the entire transAtlantic flight. But having the breeder get the puppy used to a crate is probably very helpful. If you stick a puppy in crate that has never been in a crate, likely it's going to cry.

vandog

Merlie Girlie!
I am flying my new puppy home in January under my seat. I also fly very frequently with my small dog under my seat. The majority of the larger airports do have an area for pet potty but you must plan on a long wait between flights (or until your flight) because to get to the potty areas you need to go through security.
Once you are checked in, you can hang out wherever you want in/around the airport. Once you are through security you have to remain in the airport. I make sure to potty before hand. Tire and play with puppy before going through airport...yes the puppy will be okay, people fly puppies under seats all the time.
Yes, technically you cannot take your puppy out from under your seat but the majority of flight attendants are friendly and don't care if you sneak the puppy up for a little loving.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Belgian? Aussie? Border Collie?

I know, I'm being nosy. Secretly hoping for terv puppy pics. Cause Fran is providing the Aussie pics for now.
:rofl1:

It's not one of the Aussie's from Fran's litter is it?!?!!

How cool would that be?!!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
My money is on Aussie or Border Collie. :p

Since you won't satisfy our curiosity as to the new breed of choice, will you share what happened to Koolie plans? I'm sure that wasn't an easy decision to make, it seems like you were very ready for the new pup. :(

Members online