What are you sick of hearing in regards to your dogs?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Fred mostly gets oooohs and aaaah and asking me what he is.

Bodhi gets all sorts.

1. Is she blind in that eye/what happened to her eye.

It's blue. Nothing more. Yes, it has always been blue.

2. Oh my dog just wants to say hello!

Bodhi starts to hackle up... She's getting worse with age, and is much less tolerant these days! Even when I clearly say 'she won't want to play, or say hello' they insist their dog is friendly.... They usually work out what I mean when their dog gets too close. Not sure why they think I put her back on the lead when they approach.

3. Is she a lab/staff/whippet?

Yes, someone really has asked me if she's a whippet before :)

4. Wow, she's really well behaved!

She's not actually, she's just had regular training. She's hardly a super dog, but yes she does what I ask her too and comes when she's called! It's from building a good relationship with her, and training her when she was a puppy, and still reinforcing it every time we walk. She still slips up now and then!

4. She looks very fit.

She is (well, actually we call her fatty badger at the moment and she's on a diet lol, we were giving her too much raw when we transitioned, and we've been very lazy this winter lol). But otherwise, yes she is extremely fit. She gets exercised!

Gypsydals

The most annoying reply I get is.
Ohh is he a puppy?? Ahh no not unless you count being 7 a puppy.

Ohh well then he must be a dalmatian mix, because dalmatians are not that small. AHHH yes they are its called breed standard and your 90+ pound is not standard and thats not they way they come.
Then they insist he is a mix. No I know hes not, I have his pedigree, the ribbons and title to prove his not.
Ohh he must be so dumb. I've heard dalmatians are stupid dogs and cant be trained. Ahh no they can be as you can see my dog sitting here while you make stupid comments.

And the whole trying to rush a dog so you can pet them. UGG drives me nuts.

Thankfully most people don't bother me when I'm out walking Ivan. And I'm ok with that.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
And the whole trying to rush a dog so you can pet them. UGG drives me nuts.
Now, I'd never had that with Bodhi....

People want to touch Fred though. I had a small girl ask me if he bites WHILST running up to him and hugging his face. :eek:

I couldn't even get the no out of my mouth before she was there. I had to tell her not to go near strange dogs. Her parents have obviously told her to ask first, but that obviously hasn't worked........

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
When my dog is cowering and clearly doesn't want to interact with you, don't touch her, please. When my Shepherd is panting, pulling and generally stressing do NOT reach out to pat her..

And, no. My dogs are NOT too thin. Just cause my GSD weighs 55lbs and yours weighs "150lbs" doesn't mean MY dog is the one with a weight problem.

k9krazee

-Cute puppy! How much bigger will he get?
He's full grown!
-No way! What is he?
He's a Dingo
-Yeah! That's what I thought! Isn't he a little small for a Dingo?
- He's miniaturized
Ohhhh...

I'm just perpetuating the cycle...

- Is he a Dingo?!
Yep *keeps walking*
(Ken thinks its the coolest thing that people call him a dingo)

But we mostly get people staring and saying how cool he is. Especially when Ken walks him alone --- total chick magnet.

Last edited:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
With Frodo:

"Was he abused/a rescue?" (after I tell them he doesn't always like strangers :rolleyes:)

With Siri:

"Is she a Fox/Rat Terrier?" Every.Freaking.Time. :wall: Or even just "What is she?" I think she's been correctly identified as a Jack by like...3 people? since I've had her. And we are out and about constantly.

I also get many many looks/stories when I tell people I have a JRT. My favorite probably being the customer whose friend has 4 JRT and they are constantly at the vet for trying to kill each other. Uh, that's great. Thanks for sharing.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
You have three dogs? Why do you need so many? I thought you loved Bamm. Why did you replace him with more dogs?

Umm... I did NOT replace him. As far as I know he is still here and I love him dearly. He doesn't seem worse for the wear with me having two other dogs around. In fact, I think he has loosened up a lot in regards to being around other dogs since I added Cricket and later Joey.

Wow your dogs are so thin. How much do you feed them? Cricket ONLY eats 1.5 cups a day??? That's ALL? How come Joey is so skinny? Does he eat enough? Is he sick?

Umm... No. My dogs are HEALTHY thank you very much. Yes Joey was too skinny when I first got him. Bamm was too skinny when I first got him too. But... I keep my dogs at what I consider to be a healthy weight and they eat enough food.

(In regards to Joey)That's a long haired greyhound isn't it? No. Yes it is, I've seen them before and I know what a long haired greyhound looks like. Ummm... ok...

*Goes to hand Cricket a treat* No she can't have treats. Please don't feed my dog. She has allergies and also don't because she is my dog and I said so. Response: Wow you aren't a very nice dog mom are you? My mom was super strict too. We don't talk anymore.

You are starting to lure course Joey. You mean like race? Racing dogs is cruel.

A mexican street what? She looks like a hyena to me. Omg I get that ALLLLLL the time. oh and also, "How did you guys get her across the border?"

When people come up and try to pet Bamm. Me: Please stay away. He gets nervous around people he doesn't know. Them: Oh but I love dogs and he will know that. *reaches to try to pet Bamm* Me: I said stay away. Do NOT touch my dog.

She is a miniature dutch shepherd. I know she is. I know a dutch shepherd breeder that also breeds miniature ones and she looks just like one.

Ibizan? I've never heard of them so don't think they exist. You sure he's not a greyhound? He doesn't even LOOK like a freaking greyhound.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Buh...

-People insisting Macky is a puppy. No. She's like 8, dude. A few years ago I told someone she was 6 and he goes, "6 months?" NO. She's a mutt, not a golden puppy, and she has soft short hair because of her horrible coat quality which necessitates regular hair cuts.

And then they're all, "She acts so young!" Well, she's a medium sized dog on good food and gets lots of exercise... I should hope she isn't acting "old" by 8. I'm hoping to squeeze 10 more years out of her, LOL. Or infinite years. :(

-Yes, Keeva's ears are big. They are supposed to be. Nope, she's not going to "grow into them" because she's almost 2. No, she doesn't have super hearing abilities (to my knowledge).

-I have actually had MULTIPLE people tell me, with great authority and as if doing me a favor, that "that one" (Keeva) has some corgi in her, yes she does! I actually had a local vet come to tour my work, and he saw Keeva in the yard (not knowing she was mine) and started saying how unusual that corgi was and did I know what she was mixed with? "Oh, she's mine, and she's actually purebred."

"...Really? Are you sure?"

YES I HAVE HER ****ING PAPERS AND PEDIGREE IN A FOLDER AT MY HOUSE. I'M VERY SURE. IT'S MY **** DOG.

-Oh, and some lady went on and ON about how great it was that I didn't cut Keeva's tail off, so nice to see, "cropping" tails is so cruel. I let her finish and then gave my canned and well-rehearsed Cardigans vs. Pembroke speech

-Similarly, with Blossom, "Oh, I just LOVE German Shepherd mixes!" or "Ok, German Shepherd and...?" Alright, I'll give you that, but then please don't give me the stink eye when I say, "Actually, she's a Belgian Shepherd!" in a friendly voice. It's a real breed, and in fact I'm trying to be nice and help you place the breed in your mind by confirming that it is indeed a "shepherd type" breed and you're not far off. If I wanted to show off my designer dog I'd call her a Malinois and use a really snotty accent.

-Then, some people are like, "Aren't those dogs expensive?" Uh... I guess? Mine was a thriftshop Mal, but puppies from breeders aren't really more expensive than any other purebred? Why does nobody ask me this about my corgi? lol I think sometimes people have seen those websites with the crappy "Personal Protection Dogs" biting sleeves and being sold for $5000.

-And sometimes, randomly, "Is she trained to attack?" I dunno, why don't you keep petting her while you wait for the answer? LOL. I always say, "No" with no explanation. Trying to explain properly done, controlled bitework to average people is kind of a loss.

-"I had a German Shepherd as a kid and it was mean, even to our family." Cool story, bro. I have a Belgian Shepherd and she's sweet as pie to my family. Anything else you'd like to share?

OH, AND: Blah blah your corgi is "so skinny." She has a waist and isn't shaped like a hotdog, get over it. LOL

Nevermind comments about Blossom's weight. "You need to eat more!" ok, first off, if you'd like to make a comment about my dog's condition, you can make it to me, as she can't answer you. Second, STFU. She weighed 42 lbs and looked like crap when I got her and is now 50 and has a dark, thick, healthy coat. I'm actually rather proud that she doesn't have spine, ribs, and hip bones totally sticking out anymore. THIRD, she eats 1.5 lbs of meat per day and any table scraps that are dog friendly - that's enough for a 75 lbs dog. If you think she needs to be fatter, you're welcome to give me some money for her food bill.

Kilter

From other people, it's usually that Kilt is a sheltie mix. Because shelties are the only breed out there that has that merle gene. ;)

From my other half, it's usually something to do with me NOT being an irresponsible dog owner. He sees other people being twits and assumes I'm being the bag for not also being a twit. Because I should really bring my dog into someone's apartment who doesn't have dogs, let her run off leash through the building and outside of the building, and expect someone else to provide water and walk around a dog mooching. Or go camping and let three dogs run loose around the campground because 'they're friendly' and that's part of camping, assuming everybody is going to let their dogs run free and annoy people.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
For Watson:

Is he a terrier mix/rat terrier?

(Sigh :rolleyes:)

Look at that tail! *they then reach out and pull his tail straight*

(The tail pulling I hate...loathe...makes me want to murder!!!)

A basenji? Aren't they mean and nasty?

(Just because he doesn't instantly like everyone doesn't make him nasty...)

For Menchi:

Shar Peis are not very nice I have heard!

(Oh, how many shar pei have you met? And the plural of shar pei is shar pei >.<)

Is she a puppy? She is kind of small, isn't she?

(She is 35 lbs and considered a mini... Pei come in a variety of sizes and even the standard size is not huge!)

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
On Revy...
"What do you mean I can't give her treats? She's not fat..."
... because she has EPI!

"You need to feed her more, she's so skinny!"
She's skinny because she has EPI, feeding her more won't solve that.

On Talla...
"Why didn't you rescue a dog from America?"
Because I wanted to. (if they keep pushing, I give them the whole spiel.)

"She's so skittish! Was she not socialized?"
No, she's a pariah dog. She got plenty of socialization, this is just how she is.

On Poison...
"Poor thing, her ears must hurt!"
"Don't touch her ears, they were just cropped!"
No, they're healed. She is in no pain.

"I hate that you did that to her ears..."
Opinions are like a-holes. She's my dog, my decision.

"Look at those paws! She's going to be like 100lbs!"
1. her paws are not all that huge, and no... she isn't going to be 100lbs.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Do people really say that to you?! WTF is wrong with people?

I'm gonna start going up to people and saying, "WOW he needs to eat less, he's soooo fat. And I hate that you cut his balls off." *facepalm*

Not too many weird comments with Gypsy, actually. Which is good 'cause I wouldn't be able to handle the ignorance as smoothly as some of you people. When I'm offended, I tend to snap back with an over-harsh zinger. Heh.

Folks get her breed half right, almost always. They guess border collie or Aussie. Did have someone guess sheltie once, which cracked me up, but it's not too far off, I guess.

However, after watching me work her in public parks, off leash (where we do our trick routine and work on obedience), I get:

She's a border collie? Wow, they're so smart!

Yes, they're smart. But she knows all this because I spent 3 years training her. A little credit, please? :p

I've always wanted a border collie...

No, you probably don't. You probably want a biddable dog. This is where I go into my ramble about how Gypsy is a neurotic mess without exercise, not very affectionate, easily over-stimulated, generally very active indoors, and was a total Hell Puppy.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Do people really say that to you?! WTF is wrong with people?

I'm gonna start going up to people and saying, "WOW he needs to eat less, he's soooo fat. And I hate that you cut his balls off." *facepalm*
Oh yeah, ALL the time. We get dirty looks, whispers, rude comments. I' used to it, but it's still unfortunate that it happens.

Red.Apricot

German shepherd and...? I knew it was coming when I got her. I didn't realize how often.

Is she shy? as she ducks their hand and backs up a couple inches, while wagging her tail, to avoid being pet.

You should socialize her! othx. That totally didn't occur to me. I know they mean well.

I want a dog like her, but I couldn't deal with the fur. I'm magic!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Oh yeah, ALL the time. We get dirty looks, whispers, rude comments. I' used to it, but it's still unfortunate that it happens.
Once, my roommate, who used to be anti-cropping/docking and is now of a live and let live perspective, was with me in a Petco when we saw a Dobe puppy (maybe 12-14wks) with posted ears. She was like, "*GASP* He just had his ears cut off!!!" because the ears were posted and look "bandaged" and she was all offended.

Very loudly and calmly (so the owner could hear), I said, "Nope, they're just posted to train them to stand. It's not painful to him at all anymore. It's good that he's obviously getting proper aftercare and posting."

I was really kind of embarrassed and I hope what I said at least helped.

SpringerLover

I still get crap about wanting a dog with a tail and not being willing to budge on it? Most people get my dogs' breed correct. I don't get a whole lot of questions unless I'm out somewhere with Bailey and she does something ridiculously silly to gain my attention. She's got a whole repertoire of behaviors that are guaranteed to make me laugh, and she knows it.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Violet:

"Those dogs are hyper"

"That's one of those crazy dogs"

"That kind of dog belongs outside"

"That poor thing, those dogs belong up north"

Chloe:

"That's a rat dog"

"That's not even a real dog"

"Is that dog yappy?"

Toller_08

On Poison...
"Poor thing, her ears must hurt!"
"Don't touch her ears, they were just cropped!"
No, they're healed. She is in no pain.

"Look at those paws! She's going to be like 100lbs!"
1. her paws are not all that huge, and no... she isn't going to be 100lbs.

That reminds me! There are always the people who rudely remark about the Dobes' ears (especially as puppies, but still as adults too), but it's amazing the amount of people that meet my dogs and tell me how happy they are that I didn't crop their ears. And then go on to say how cruel and horrible it is and that they're glad I'm not one of they those people, and then the look like give me when I tell them that they actually are cropped...

And I forgot about the feet thing! I got that with the Dobermans as puppies constantly and with Journey, too. I don't know why people think they can always tell a dog's size by the size of their feet.

Members online