Falling in love with Standard Poodles......a few questions!

Michiyo-Fir

At my workplace recently, the director brings his standard poodle to work.

Now, I never really liked poodles because of the HUGE amount of BYB toys and minis in my area but this dog was a standard and just the best.

She's a fairly young dog but so well behaved. Likes strangers by wagging and sniffing/poking/licking a little but not overly intrusive or defensive or annoying. Doesn't continuously bother her owner, lays in her bed for the most part and sides on the side during meetings until it's lunch break and her walk time. Very obedient, sits and waits upstairs if her owner goes to get lunch or run an errand. Doesn't bother other workers or people coming in and out. Lovely light build, not cut too frou frou or crazy. Happy!

I've never ever considered Poodles as a potential dog mainly because I don't like the texture of poodle hair and I don't want a dog that I have to clip every few weeks but I would take this one in a heart beat.

A few questions for poodle owners (especially standards)

1. Weight/height range?

2. Friendliness with other dogs and other animals (cats, small pets)? Reactive or DR tendencies?

3. Attitude towards strangers or people?

4. Are they generally outgoing dogs?

5. Barkiness?

6. Are they a healthy breed?? Health concerns?

7. Energy level? Off Switch? Toy drive? Food drive?

8. Anything else good/bad you want to tell me about standard poodles?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
They are the best. Will reply with answers when not on my phone.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Without answering all your questions because I'm in the car and tired (not driving) your experience with this female sounds like every experience I've had with well bred standard females. I grew up with them and I still think they're the best dogs ever. We had a pair come into work the other day for collection/AI and the female was just a love. The male was cool too but I don't know as many males so I can't comment. This guy was a little more rambunctious , but consider the reason he came in...

My family had nothing but black standards for well over 40 years. My answers are in bold!

1. Weight/height range?
I think the breed standard just says anything over15" goes, but ours were always big. I think the tallest was 27", but most averaged about 24". I've seen many smaller ones around, in the 19-21" range probably. Lucca was 26" but only 50lbs at her heaviest. I'm sure there are some itty bitty 25-30 pounders. I've seen some hefty ones too though.

2. Friendliness with other dogs and other animals (cats, small pets)? Reactive or DR tendencies?
I don't think there were any small pets around before the last one (1997-2011)... but they were fine with the cats in the neighbourhood. Lucca, the most recent one, was FABULOUS with our cat and the myriad of critters I had growing up, hamsters, mice, etc. She was good with the neighbour's free-range rabbits too.

In my experience, they will certainly tell another dog off if it's getting out of hand. I've met a couple who had some insecurities around other dogs and as a result could be a little snarky about their personal space. On average they're pretty decent with others dogs though.

Totally convinced that people were put on the planet to pay attention to them. I've never had issues with shyness or nervousness around people.

For the most part yes. We took ours everywhere with us.

5. Barkiness?
Pretty quiet. There is one standard pup in a training class of mine now who's a bit of a demand barker when she gets bored, but from the ones I've been around, it's not too common.

A huge number of the dogs I've known have had GI issues... be it food sensitivities, or IBS or something like that. Our last one was prone to cannon butt if she ate rich food, rawhides, bully sticks, crappy kibble, etc.

As with any deep-chested breed, bloat is a concern too. Lucca bloated at about 7 or 8 years old but survived with surgery.

Sebaceous cysts. Ew. All of ours developed them in old age. They usually don't cause discomfort and aren't serious enough to remove unless the dog is under anesthesia for something else, but they get disgusting if they rupture. Fortunately, the fur usually hides them!

Someone else may be able to tell you a little more about any other genetic predispositions... I don't know too much about that side.

Probably going to range hugely depending on the breeder... Some lines are very sporty and much drivier/more energetic, and some are very much bred for pet/show purposes.

Ours, and most of the others I've known, have been a happy medium, although a handful as youngsters. They matured into dogs who could keep up on a 4 hour hike, but were also content with 20 minutes around the block if you're feeling sick or it's crappy out.

I like them, but am sick of them. Like I said, my family, and several close family friends, swore by nothing but standard poodles for decades! But they are FUN dogs! And usually a lot more dog than someone would expect, coming from a 'frou frou' breed.

Shaving them isn't that bad. You can usually get away with it every 6-8 weeks depending on how fast their hair grows. Buy a decent set of clippers and do it yourself if you want to save money in grooming fees. Doing a puppy cut is super easy!

Do your homework on bloodlines... we had several dogs in a row from one breeder, and they all died at 10 and 11. My dad's BYB/farm bred poodle back in the 60's lived to 14, and Lucca lived to almost 14.

This was our last standard poodle, Lucca. She was 50lbs here, 26".

With a buddy of hers... (much shorter, stockier build, wild hair)

And she did a dainty lil retrieve! This dog loved snow and water, but could barely swim, go figure.

Locke

A few questions for poodle owners (especially standards)

1. Weight/height range? Typically anywhere from 21-27 inches and 35-65 lbs.

2. Friendliness with other dogs and other animals (cats, small pets)? Reactive or DR tendencies? Some poodles have high prey drive, but generally they get along well or will ignore other animals.

3. Attitude towards strangers or people? Many are friendly or aloof, but BYBs and other poor breeding practices have given poodles a really bad rep for being snappy and aggressive.

4. Are they generally outgoing dogs? Depends, but yes, they are very "happy to do what you are asking of me" dogs.

5. Barkiness? Not common with the standards.

6. Are they a healthy breed?? Health concerns? NO! NOT A HEALTHY BREED! They are plagued by bloat, epilepsy, Addisons, sebaceous adenitis, and hip dysplasia to name a few. Finding healthy lines is HARD. Doing your own research into the pedigree of your poodle is a must.

7. Energy level? Off Switch? Toy drive? Food drive? They can be moderate ot high energy, but most have a really good off switch. Very toy driven and some are food motivated, but a lot of poodles are simply motivated by praise and pleasing the handler.

They are addictive! I LOVE standard poodles, and if it weren't for the health issues in the breed, I would have another right now. There are a lot of politics behind the scenes and sadly, many top producing show kennels are not honest about the health of their lines. Be careful and do your OWN research. Do not take anyone on their word. Sign up with the Poodle Health Registry. Stay away from pedigrees that have a lot of Leatherstocking dogs in them.

Grab

1. Weight/height range? As stated, anything over 15" is techinically a standard. Usually they're 21" and up, varying by lines, sex,etc.

2. Friendliness with other dogs and other animals (cats, small pets)? Reactive or DR tendencies? I can only go by the ones I've met, they seem to do ok. Brooks does fine with all of the creatures he has met so far

3. Attitude towards strangers or people?I think it varies. Brooks is in a bit of a fear period, but in general he is pretty happy to meet strangers

4. Are they generally outgoing dogs?Yes, the ones I have met have been

5. Barkiness?Varies. Brooks is a bark monster if he isn't getting the attention he thinks he deserves. Others are not nearly as barky though.

6. Are they a healthy breed?? Health concerns? I think it depends on lines. Looking for lines who health test (and looking at what should be the public records if they went with OFA) should help weed out anyone sketchy

7. Energy level? Off Switch? Toy drive? Food drive? Varies by dog. I chose the drivey puppy and have a running monster, lol

8. Anything else good/bad you want to tell me about standard poodles? They're pretty awesome and fun loving dogs

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I don't own a poodle but for whatever reason I am around them a lot. A friend where I used to live bred them, various folks here have them for pets, agility, and field. Some from known breeders, some from rescue. I've known nine pretty well, and run into many more on a recurring basis. So I'll the just answer the questions I can.

1. Weight/height range? Tall, but not necessarily big. Most I know are taller than Kim, at least 24" at the shoulder. Only one has measured into the 20" agility class (22" or under) -- the rest are over 22", usually by a lot. For all that they aren't very heavy...maybe 60-65lbs at the very most for the big boys. Short backs and finer frame.

Other dogs -- I've known one with aggression issues. The rest were fine though not necessarily friendly with other dogs. Not laid back, but not reactive/aggressive either.

I don't know about small animals.

Ranging from instant BFF to polite disinterest, except for that or aggression case.

See #3

Huge variation. Generally energetic but not necessarily driven, if that makes sense. But the range is huge.

Umm they are crazy cute as puppies :p

k9krazee

There is a five month old standard who comes to my dog meet ups twice a month. He is the cutest freaking thing in the whole world. I love how bouncy and funny they are.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
1. Weight/height range?
Varies. Wesley is 27 inches or so and hovers just under fifty pounds.

2. Friendliness with other dogs and other animals (cats, small pets)? Reactive or DR tendencies? Wesley loves cats, rats, rabbits and guinea pigs.

On leash, he loves everyone. Except creepy people or some mentally disabled people. Awful, but he never met anybody that acted 'different' as a puppy and it makes him nervous. But that's socialization. Off leash, much less interested in strangers.

Most of the poodles I've met have been quite outgoing. They're pretty goofy.

5. Barkiness?
Uhhh if you want a watch dog get a poodle...personally the barkiness bothers me.

Eyes and hips can be problems. Seizures are problems in general in poodles but less prominent in standards if I remember correctly.

Wesley is super high energy. Loves to run. Will sleep in all day if you're not doing stuff with him. Nuts for toys and food. Not sure what the general poodle is like but yeah. Cleo, the mini poodle my mom owns, is nuts for food and tug too.

They're a really awesome breed if you like a big goofy fun loving sweet dog with high energy. I've noticed the girls seem much less appealing to me, got quite a lot of snark. Pretty much all of the ones I've met except Wes have been snarky to other dogs, not reactive. The grooming, buy a nice shaver and you're good.

Michiyo-Fir

Thanks for the replies.

Other than clipping, do you need to brush your poodles often? Do their coats mat easily??

All the maltipoo's in my area seem to may a lot. Not sure if that's because of the mix of Maltese.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Thanks for the replies.

Other than clipping, do you need to brush your poodles often? Do their coats mat easily??

All the maltipoo's in my area seem to may a lot. Not sure if that's because of the mix of Maltese.
coat texture in poodles, oddly, seems to vary by COLOR XD if you whip a fine tooth greyhound comb through them every day to break up snarls as they form, you should be fine. also depends on how long you let them grow

Grab

Thanks for the replies.

Maltese have a rather wispy coat, so it does mat a lot.

Brooks isn't in his full adult coat yet, so I can only go by Newt's coat (which does not require a ton of brushing beyond her ankle area, since she has the little crinkly leg)
Right now, even with his rather half and half coat as things grow in, he doesn't really mat. He may get himself absolutely filthy, but everything brushes out well. He's also got a really long coat currently

We'll see when he has his adult coat in
TA: I also have Chows, so keep in mind that the most ridiculous dirty Poodle puppy grooming is still way better than dealing with a blowing Chow coat.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I love standards and would love a nice white one. However I show so it would have to be kept in a show coat. Not to mention my dogs love like dogs. They go out, get dirty and have fun. Jazz frequently was in the slew chasing ducks the night before a show weekend and every other night lol. OMG I can imagine what a white poodle in full show coat would look like in my house. Lmao. Would not be pretty

Locke

Thanks for the replies.

If they're kept short, they most coats need very minimal brushing. The longer the coat, the more mats, the more brushing. Some poodles have very coarse hair which tends not to mat, whereas the soft, cottony coats mat very easily.

Members online

No members online now.