WHy doe his eyes reflect green?

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
EVen if there is no flash, there is always a greenish tint. People keep asking me, and I have no idea why.

Last edited:

krissy

Summit's eyes are like this. The reason is because he has iris atrophy. In English: his pupils are always really big. When the pupils are dilated like that the light reflects off the back of the eye and gives that green glow. It's not that Summit's eyes don't constrict at all, but they don't constrict nearly as much as they should in any given light, because they can't. The iris is a muscle and for whatever reason his has atrophied (decreased in size, gotten weaker, however you want to think about it) so it can't constrict as much anymore.

Check out your dog's eyes inside at night versus outdoors. They might not be constricting as much as you would normally expect.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
His are blown wide open all the time, they don't change a bit. I was prepared for them to be whitish, but the green is just something I never saw before.
Thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
This forum has been such a godsend for my animals. The answers I have received when i asked have led me to be a better owner for lack of a better word. Partner is more how I feel about it. Even when the vet said "oh that's normal for his age" end of answer I was able to look up iris atrophy and learn what I really needed to know. Same for "elephant skin is always yeast" for which Neccy says THANK YOu from the bottom of her once itchy heart. Pepper's improperly done leg wraps from her cut foot that almost made us both lose our minds. "Teach him up to teach him down" from Ct that helped lead Victor out of his desperate over the top need for acceptance into the dog he is now. I told Mom even Shaffer has received help with a very quick answer to the heart worm pill confusion.

I just want to say Thank you to all of you that take the time to be there with her knowledge and your good will. I will never be able to express my gratitude enough. You made their lives better.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I was thinking back has Zoom to thank for 4 more good years with her "get a second opinion." and her making that possible.

Members online

No members online now.