Blue Seal Dog Food

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
What do you guys know about this food?

I'm especially more curious about this one in particular
http://blueseal.com/product/?id=16&species=Dog&search=true

This is what the breeder has been feeding my puppy. Well, she's been mixing it with California Natural puppy lamb and a little bit of canned food.

I was looking at the ingredients and as long as the chicken fat doesn't bother Cricket (she can't do the meat), but I think she has had stuff with chicken fat in it and did fine. If all my dogs would do well on this food I'm considering trying it out. It's cheaper than what I'm feeding now and all my current dogs like pork a lot.

They also have a buyer reward program (buy 12 get 1 free)

Last edited:

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I know that it's nothing I'd touch with a ten foot pole, but I don't think that's the answer you're looking for.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It doesn't look terrible but it does look grain heavy. I did some looking on the company and they look by and large to be a feed company. They have some different dog food brands:

http://www.nativedogfood.com/
http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/

The latter does have a grain free formula.

The only place locally that carries any of their stuff is an agricultural place; even the big feed store that seems to carry everything under the sun doesn't have any of it. I don't know a lot about the company but I could ask around. Looks like they've had some recalls on livestock feed in the past but nothing concerning to me personally.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Never heard of it! So...no opinion. LOL

Last edited:

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ok. I have mixed feelings about feeding it. My problem is most puppy specific food I find seems to be chicken based and a lot of Xolos tend to have issues with chicken. I could go with the cal natural puppy which is lamb. He has been getting a mix of that with the blue seal. The blue seal is an all life stages pork based food and the breeder said her xolos seem to do best on a pork based diet. Grains are ok for the little dude for now, but if I notice him not doing well on grains then I'll switch him. On my xolo group it seems to be pretty across the board that a lot of their Xolos do better on a grain inclusive diet oddly enough. Trying to avoid a lot of potatoes and peas. Prefer not to spend more than $55 for approx 30lbs worth. Then there is trying to figure out the approximate protein to fat ratio he should be getting. OMG it's been so long since I've had a puppy.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I think 4Health (and subsequently Diamond Naturals and Premium Edge) all have a lamb based puppy food. I know TOTW has their Sierra Mountain whatever puppy food that is lamb based as well.

But, if he's eating the Blue Seal food, doing well on it, and it's in your price range/easily accessible, I'd just stick with it!

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
The ingredient panel looks kind of gross, if I'm honest. It's not a horrid food by any means, but it's very meh. I'm sure you could find another chicken-free option that is similar-priced that's a bit better.

FYI, chicken fat is entirely unrelated to chicken protein, as far as allergies and intolerances are concerned. NEarly every dog I've come across with chicken issues have no issue with chicken fat in the food.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I wouldn't feed it, IMHO.

I saw a grain free food at Petco made by Merrick called Whole Earth Farms that has pork as the first ingredient. I think it was $35 for 30lbs:

Pork Meal, Dried Potatoes, Peas, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sweet Potatoes, Beef, Natural Pork Flavor, Lamb, Yeast Culture, Organic Alfalfa Meal, Salt, Salmon Oil, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Pyroxidine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Thiamin Mononitrate), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Amino Acid Complex, Sodium Selenite), Dried Blueberries, Choline Chloride, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product

http://www.feedgoodness.com/recipes/grain-free-recipe-beef-lamb-dry-dog-food/

Avoid Blue Seal Pork & Barley

Hello Shittledoo,

Avoid this stuff.... while it doesn't contain any of the dangerous junk found in very low quality pet foods, it's no different than others in the same category.

This formula is loaded with carbs, grains and starches which is exactly what should be avoided.

It's very, very low in protein (24%) and very, very high in carbs (around 50%!)... in good kibble, those numbers would be superimposed.

If feeding commrcial petfoods, grain-free is a must and high protein / low carbohydrate / low starch is the very best.

Your puppy shouldn't even be on kibble (low moisture content of only 10%) and should be on a good canned food, somethig similar to Wellness Core.

All six Core formulas are excellent: grain-free / 55% protein / 9% carbs on a dry-matter basis.

One of those six Core formulas is an excellent puppy formula.

bestcatanddognutrition.com
Roger Biduk

Members online

No members online now.