New Englanders Meetup

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Can we wait until the weather is not..gross and cold? LOL

As for in the city of Boston..

The Common is the biggest, in the middle of the city and it's beautiful any time of year but dogs need decent voice control. Dogs are allowed off leash in specific sections but there is no fence around them, they are in the center of the park and it's very safe but dogs needs to be under voice control because people are out and about. But it's a huge park, lots to do, eat, see, swim etc.. There are so very pretty public gardens around and lots of shopping and eating on Newbury street! It's a great spot!

Otherwise, Peter's park is the best off-leash traditional gated dog park IMO
http://www.yelp.com/biz/peters-park-dog-run-boston
It's nothing spectacular really lol big gated area, water fountain, little dog section, it's kept very clean :)

Dogs are allowed on all public transport so it's easy to move about!

umterps97

There's a nice little park in Framingham, MA too that is not fenced but allows friendly dogs under voice control to be off leash, or on leash is fine if you choose.

Can we plan for this for next Spring??
http://www.pooch-a-palooza.com/#!home/mainPage
:D I don't know anyone that is dog nerdy enough to want to go with me...I need some people to go with.
Pooch-a-palooza is right down the street from my job. I would love to go and meet you all!

crazedACD

:) I much prefer the controllable on leash thing nowadays. My dogs are good but getting a little grouchy in their 'old age' with the off leash dog park thing.

Can we wait until the weather is not..gross and cold? LOL
Well duh, plus we have to wait at least long enough for you to have your puppy.

There's a nice little park in Framingham, MA too that is not fenced but allows friendly dogs under voice control to be off leash, or on leash is fine if you choose.

Can we plan for this for next Spring??
http://www.pooch-a-palooza.com/#!home/mainPage
:D I don't know anyone that is dog nerdy enough to want to go with me...I need some people to go with.
Little under 4 hours.....I'm in!

BostonBanker

Meg doesn't do off-leash dog parks, or on leash festivals - just off leash hiking and such. She probably wouldn't attend anything like this, because she gets bothered by dogs bothering her.

Gusto is bomb-proof with any and all dogs, and can go anywhere, although I want to throw him in the sewer after about 10 minutes on-leash in most places.

I wonder if we could find a fun hiking area outside the city proper.

Maxy24

I wonder if we could find a fun hiking area outside the city proper.
In Framingham there is Callahan state park. I have never been there myself so won't officially recommend it or anything, but from what I've read it is a very popular dog spot (perhaps too popular, I don't know). Some areas are on leash (certain trials, private property) and some are off leash but unfenced.

http://callahandogs.com/
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/northeast/call.htm

Since I have not been there I also don't know if it's in a good area of Framingham, some areas are very sketchy.

crazedACD

That was the park I was referring to...the road it is on is quiet and nice, with big houses all around. You do have to go through a part that is a little run down but the park is massive with enough room to spread out. There are hiking trails but enough 'fields' and stuff that if a group of us went we could hang out or something. The area the dogs gather off lead has a (murky) pond.

milos_mommy

Pooch-a-palooza looks like fun, but it's about two weeks after my due date so I don't think I'll be attending :(

But if anyone wants to meet up in Boston in March or April, I'd be excited for that!

DenoLo

Fairly new, and probably wouldn't attend because my dog isn't a huge fan of big dogs, but thought I'd suggest Gooseberry Island in Westport, MA. It's one of the only beaches that's dog-friendly year round and a nice little walk around the whole island takes about 2 hours. Early spring and fall are perfect because it's not crowded in the least bit.

Didn't see a single other person yesterday, granted it was pretty windy!

Last edited:

DenoLo

Ooh, I like the island idea! I've always wanted to take my dogs to the ocean!
Yeah it's really a cool little place. I've been taking the girls there every weekend lately. The Border CollieX stays on lead and the wee munchkin gets to run off leash since she's under voice control and I can just leash her up once I see somebody coming in our direction (which is very rare this time of year) I've seen dolphins and seals there, and somebody did see a great white this summer.

Yeah it's really a cool little place. I've been taking the girls there every weekend lately. The Border CollieX stays on lead and the wee munchkin gets to run off leash since she's under voice control and I can just leash her up once I see somebody coming in our direction (which is very rare this time of year) I've seen dolphins and seals there, and somebody did see a great white this summer.
You had me at great white!

Z

zempeatt

It is very a pity to me, I can help nothing, but it is assured, that to you will help to find the correct decision. Do not despair.

Members online

No members online now.