$375 for a neutering operation?!

I just paid $225 for Wilson's neuter--no overnight, included pain meds. I'm in Upstate NY.
Wilson got neutered!! How did it go?

Maggie's spay came with the adoption fee.. altogether it was $100. No pain meds or anything... is that mean? She seemed like she did fine. She probably would've freaked out if I tried to give her pain meds because I just got her and she didn't like me yet.

elegy

overdogged
Edited to add: Max is 6 months old, and weighs about 15 pounds.
at 6 months, if they haven't dropped, chances are they're not gonna. i'd just go ahead and get him done when you're ready. undescended testicles are a much higher cancerous risk (dog testicles aren't made to be kept inside the body), so i'd definitely have him done.

S

Squishy22

Sorry for the slow response, but my internet's been down all afternoon.

I never said I was planning on neutering him now. Personally, I want to wait for them to descend. I know how invasive it can be to go in there and have to find them if they haven't dropped yet.

As far as what's included in the payment, the vet didn't really elaborate, and I didn't know to ask any questions about it.

The PETA thing is that they pay for a percentage of the surgery. It's done through the spay/neuter clinic at the local SPCA. I have trust in their skills - we've had animals done there before - but if my vet's going to do a more thorough job of it, then I'll go with my vet.

I guess it's all just a matter of research now.

-Tim

15 pounds? Its over 300 bucks for a neuter? I cant even imagine what a spay would be there, because a spay is even more expensive.

My clinic charges 250 bucks for a 60 pound dog. The heavier, the more expensive. This includes EVERYTHING. The works. It seems odd that your vet is going to charge you the same price even WITH descended testes. I'd look into other vet offices. Maybe its due to the area you live in, I dunno...

At the local kennel, I can get it done for about $70.

Paige

Let it be
For dogs under 50 pounds at my vet charges 50 dollars without complications. So yeah crazy high to me.

ACooper

I just paid $225 for Wilson's neuter--no overnight, included pain meds. I'm in Upstate NY.
That's about what I paid here in N. Indiana back in April for Orson. No overnight either.

His were both descended it was a quick snip snip. I don't see how undescended and descended surgery would be the same price at all.

Doesn't an undescended testicle make it more like a spay? As in they have to go up in and get it??

Anyway, we have the Neuter Scooter in this area for cats only. They travel and do clinics in varying towns, they set up "shop" in places like fairgrounds buildings and such. My friend recently used them for her female kitty. The cost was $40.00 as opposed to 250.00 at her regular vet.

She was very happy with the service. She said they were well organized and on the ball. She took her in her own carrier in the AM and picked her up in the evening, no overnight stay involved.

She said there was about 40 cats there that day........I would think if that is what they do everyday, they would get pretty good at it.

Hillside

Original Twin
Sorry for the slow response, but my internet's been down all afternoon.

I never said I was planning on neutering him now. Personally, I want to wait for them to descend. I know how invasive it can be to go in there and have to find them if they haven't dropped yet.

As far as what's included in the payment, the vet didn't really elaborate, and I didn't know to ask any questions about it.

The PETA thing is that they pay for a percentage of the surgery. It's done through the spay/neuter clinic at the local SPCA. I have trust in their skills - we've had animals done there before - but if my vet's going to do a more thorough job of it, then I'll go with my vet.

I guess it's all just a matter of research now.

-Tim

Honestly if Peta is PAYING for part of it, well *I* would have no problem using their money if you trust the folks doing the operation.

Max's Dad

I think I've pretty much settled to have it done at the local SPCA/PETA clinic. Problem is that they will only do it if the testicles are distended. So when would I know whether Max's will descend or not? Is there some kind of timetable I can use or something?

-Tim

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
That seems like an awfully high price. For Smokey they quoted me around $300, but he's a 7 year old dog and that included the bloodwork (this was in AZ)
Upstate NY at my low-cost military clinic I think they wanted like $150 total.
I elected to not have it done because of age and the stress (he's had some issues) and my vet agreed that as long as he's being a "gentleman" and not out roaming, marking my house, or being generally obnoxious with male tendancies to just leave him be.

I would think that a crytorchid neuter would be expensive (around the price you were quoted) because of how invasive it is...though I'm not a vet and have just worked as a vet tech in a large animal practice (they also did small animals just not very often) I can tell you a gelding for an adult horse didn't cost as much as you were quoted and it's a much larger animal.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I think I've pretty much settled to have it done at the local SPCA/PETA clinic. Problem is that they will only do it if the testicles are distended. So when would I know whether Max's will descend or not? Is there some kind of timetable I can use or something?

-Tim
He's 6ish months now or there abouts now right? Can the vet feel them at all, or not at all? Has the vet ever been able to feel them? If no.. I'd give it a bit more time but I'd be doubtful.. If you can feel them there's a better chance.

Miakoda

If they haven't dropped by 9-10 months, there is a good chance they will not. But I've seen some descend as late as 12 months.

As for that price, that is astronomical for a neuter for a dog with descended testicles (& it's still high even if they haven't descended). We charge $55 for a neuter which covers the surgery and antibiotic injection. Bloodwork is optional and is an additional $50 (CBC and complete profile) and we don't give pain meds unless a dog seems to really need them. I've never seen a dog that did.

Max's Dad

He's 6ish months now or there abouts now right? Can the vet feel them at all, or not at all? Has the vet ever been able to feel them? If no.. I'd give it a bit more time but I'd be doubtful.. If you can feel them there's a better chance.
The vet told me she definitely feels them. She's been checking his testicles each time we go in, and she's said that they've slowly been coming down more and more. Last time I was in, she said they're low enough to have him neutered, but I don't think they've descended fully, merely because I can't see that they have. And mind you, I'm not one to go feeling up my dog's nono areas. :yikes:

-Tim

ACooper

The vet told me she definitely feels them. She's been checking his testicles each time we go in, and she's said that they've slowly been coming down more and more. Last time I was in, she said they're low enough to have him neutered, but I don't think they've descended fully, merely because I can't see that they have. And mind you, I'm not one to go feeling up my dog's nono areas. :yikes:

-Tim
:rofl1: "NONO Areas" :rofl1: I like that term, I think I might have to steal it! :lol-sign:

elegy

overdogged
We charge $55 for a neuter which covers the surgery and antibiotic injection.
how does that even cover costs? i am assuming that this is a regular vet clinic and not a low-cost subsidized-by-donations clinic. anesthesia + vet time + dedicated tech(s) (we use two- one to scrub in even on neuters because it makes surgery go faster and one to monitor) + supplies = more than $55.

DaVinci

When I had Mikado neutered 51/2 yrs ago I ws charged 55$ his shots cost me 24$ for all three sets.

DaVinci was done almost a yr ago he was 30$ for 4 sets of shots additional 12 for Kennel cough. His neuter was 85$. No over night stays for either of them. I'm lucky I have two really good vets that are old fashion they are in it for the animal not to make a ton of money.

Chalice was spayed almost 2yrs ago and I paid 24$ for three sets of shots an additional 12$ for KC. Her spay was 90$ she weighted almost 35#.

Members online