A visitor took it upon himself to beat my dog

OMG poor yukon!!!!!! What an assfor doing that to a helpless dog though!!!! Urgh! And a trainerand breeder at that! How awful!

As for Yukon, it'll be easier on him if no one leans over himor pets the top of his head (both dominating positions that dogs learn to accept eventually as non-threatening). It'd be best if anytime people want to pet him they don't go to him but rather, sit or kneel or lay right down and call to him softly armed with treats as reward for coming over. He needs to choose to go up to people on his terms in order to build confidence. I'd also recommend doing about 15mins of t-touch and/or massage with him every day if you can spare it. This helps them relax and remind them how wonderful attention is. Especially with t-touch you can really feel the muscles relax and the dog mellow out as you work along.

If Yukon cowers just crouch lower and keep still and wait. Dogs are naturally curious, especially puppies so eventually he'll want to come see what you got going on. Don't baby-talk to him and fuss him up as this will only reinforce the behaviour. Keep your eyes averted from his eyes so as not to make eye contact or threatening postures accidentally.

Perhaps if you got a brand new different-looking crate you could work on getting him used to that as if he'd never seen one in his entire life. Like if you had a wire one, get a plastic one.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I feel so bad for Yukon to have had such a terrible thing done to him. Glad you took action and got that creep to pay the vet bills.

If Yukon doesn't do well being in his crate now, maybe you could block off an area of the kitchen with baby gates and provide lots of toys for him to play with.

Please keep us updated on Yukon's condition and how he does with healing, mentally and physically.

Y

yuckaduck

He is playing this morning, still limping though. He is friendly and really glueing himself to me. He is doing some submissive peeing, when I go to snap his leash on him, or take him outside but other than that he is good. He is a good boy and is trying hard to still please everyone. I did not use the crate last night at all and he was fine. I am nervous about leaving him home alone uncrated but we will see..........

Melissa_W

How terrible! Oh my gosh, I am sorry. What's wrong with people? How could that guy think that it would be okay to come into your house and beat your dog? :mad:

I hope that Yukon will be okay. You defended him, so hopefully he will still trust you. But he'll probably be really wary of strangers from now on. And who could blame him?

I'm so so sorry this happened. :(

You know, when Yukon has healed up, you're also going to need to do some heavy rehabilitative socializaton with him, especially with men, to make sure he doesn't have a "thing" against them that could get him into trouble someday.

One of my aunts and her husband lived with us for awhile when I had Purdue (my first GSD). I caught Roy kicking him one day (now THAT got ugly in a hurry . . . ), but no one could ever wear cowboy boots around Purdue after that. They had to take the boots off or he'd attack the boots. Once the boots were off, everything was fine, but he never forgot those boots. Roy was fortunate that Purdue's temperament was so good. Purdue could easily have crushed his ankle if he'd bitten - and for an electrician who works on high steel that would have been career ending.

I would have beaten the crap out of that horrible man!! He would've had a two black eyes, a broken nose, AND a broken leg and he would have gotten a huge chewing out. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hope Yukon feels better VERY soon. Otherwise I say you go over to that guy's house and beat him up some more.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
I'm so unbelievably angry, I don't even know what to say...and that doesn't happen often!

I'm sooo sorry this had to happen to your baby!! What kind of a "man" sinks so low as to hit a puppy?? (and, someone else's puppy, for that matter!!!!) Good for you, giving him that broken nose; he deserved it!!

Give Yukon a hug from Purr and the gang, and tell him we all hope he's better soon!!

))HUGS(( to y'all!!!

bogolove

That is so horrible. Poor, poor Yukon. I had someone hit my dog in the face in my own home for jumping, and I flew off the handle, so I would have completely done the same thing as you. Kudos to you for the black eyes and broken nose you gave him. He is lucky you didn't do worse.

Fran27

I'm speechless, how can someone do that? I feel terrible for Yuck and all the poor pups he has 'trained' in the past. And definitely fill papers against him

Y

yuckaduck

Yukon is better but still limping. He seems much more full of life and happy. I bought him three more toys to chew today so he is very happy and going from one to another trying to decided which is his fav. I bought a hugh 24 inch rawhide bone and he loves it.

Y

yuckaduck

German Sheperd Gurl said:
I am glad he is feeling a little better.Did the vet know how long he might be limping for.Poor honey.You doggy spoiler you,hope he loves his new huge bone.Im thinking about you and him.
Two weeks of no exercise and then start with thiny walks. He is really sore on the front right leg so we are taking it slow.

Members online

No members online now.