Need some Advice Please

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Last week I woke up in the night to find Misha had chewed and scratched a large part of plaster & paint of the wall on the stairs. We told her off, she sulked for a day or two and has ignored it since. This is the first time she has chewed anything she shouldn't.

Just turned round from the pc and she was there, licking the wall again. She knew it was wrong, big guilty face - I've sent her to her bed.

Any ideas how I can stop her? I've read about bitter apple spray but I haven't seen it in Spain and obviously I can't move the wall out of the way. Is there anything else readily available I can put onto the wall?

Also, I can't imagine plaster is good to eat, but is it a sign she is missing something in her diet, or is she being a pup?

I've caught shadow doing it sometimes, i thouht she looked hilarious, cos she's trying to chew a flat vertical wall, not the corner, the flat part!

I put it down to the fact she was teething, she didnt make a mark on the wall as I distracted her as soon a she did it, and gave her something else to chew on.

I used bitter apple spray for a while, dont use it ne more, as if I say "no" she stops and knows not to do it. Sorry i cant be more help!

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
If you use bitter apple, be sure to watch and make sure it works. Not all dogs are put off by it. My dog Zeus has iron taste buds; bad-tasting substances don't work. Not even tabasco sauce deters him!

moe

I find a little chilli sauce wiped onto the area that she is chewing soon puts stop to it, although it does smell of the chilli(not for long) once she has got over the habit then you can scrub clean, my dogs did not mind bitter apple for some reason

Mo

Doberluv

Well, really, nothing can replace supervision of a pup who is still chewing on no no's. You can't punish them after the fact. That doesn't mean anything to them other than you're mean and they start to distrust you. You have to catch them in the act, distract and give them an alternative and praise for that. Puppy may need some other things to fill her brain...obedience work, exericise....more of that stuff. And of course other chew toys. Just keep a closer eye on puppy.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thanks all. The first time she did it was during the night, but I did wake up and catch her in the act. Maybe she hadn't had enough exercise that day, although she gets a couple of hours a day and play on top of that which usually wears her out fine...........I think though the second time could have been boredom, it's just too hot at the moment in the daytime to take her out, so I'll need to think of some more indoor stuff to with her......it's weird though because she never ever chews on anything else other than her toys, except in this case. Just seemed an odd thing to start on. Renee - she's just turned one.

That does sound like boredom, Martine. Try finding some puzzle type toys and rotate them for her to keep her intellect busy. She's at an age where she's not quite an adult, not quite a puppy, and her mind is fine tuning. The same old same old won't keep her interested at this stage. Plus, she is an Airedale, and they are so very curious and bright - just the kind of dog that gets bored.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thanks Renee!! Apart from a kong, can anyone recommend any puzzle toys or games I could buy / make/ make-up? Her big fave is hide and seek, but "sorry I can't work, i'm busy hiding from my dog" doesn't work too well, lol.

Fran27

I have two for my dogs...

This one Boris loves, the treats come out a bit too easily in my opinion though.

This one Boris has no patience with, Tips has more, the thing is that the treats are really HARD to get out, so if you have a perseverant dog it will keep him busy a long time.

femke

I have the exact same problem although my sheltie has not yet stopped chewing the wall and has done quite some damage. Topic is " Drywall Terror" in dog training, I got some good tips there from people in case she keeps doing it (which for the sake of your house I hope she doesn't... lol)

Members online