I'm trying to find this one dog breed

That's a Bichon Frise.

A warning about pet stores selling puppies and/or kittens--don't support them, don't buy from them! They get their animals from mills where animals are abused and neglected, they're just in it for money.

jrenter

I'm just looking for types of dogs I'd maybe like to someday own. I'd like to someday own a black lab and/or a golden retriever. I love those types of dogs, even with their health risks when they're older.

The pet store here I'm not totally impressed with. I waited by the dogs for a few moments while many staff passed me, without asking if I'd like to see any of the dogs. Great service! :mad: Their prices are quite ludicrous too. But I'll continue looking around!

Any store that sells puppies or kittens is bad news. Avoid them at all costs! All they want is money, they don't care about the animals or their customers. And I guarantee a puppy mill pup will not be healthy. Go for a shelter.

jrenter said:
I'm just looking for types of dogs I'd maybe like to someday own. I'd like to someday own a black lab and/or a golden retriever. I love those types of dogs, even with their health risks when they're older.
Here are just a few questions for you to answer :).

Ask Yourself....

How much time do I have to exercise a pet every day? [a border collie wouldn't work for someone who can walk the dog for only a few minutes every day. Pets also need mental stimulation!]

How much time do I have to groom a pet every day? [a lab would not work for someone who cannot groom at least monthly]

How much time do I have to clean up after a pet every day? [puppies and kittens make lots of mess! Certain breeds do, too!]

How much time do I have to train a pet every day? [all pets need to be trained, some more than other, and some breeds more than others too. Terrier dogs need lots of training to be well-behaved]

How much money can I spend on veterinary care every year? [for three dogs, my family spends $4,000 to $5,000 a year. The cost of veterinary care is usually based on the supplies used and time spent. Veterinary care for your chihuahua can and probably will cost as much as veterinary care for your friend's great dane]

How much money can I spend on general supplies (toys, leashes and collars, etc.) every few months? [puppies and kittens need lots of toys to play with. Collars and identification tags are important for boths cats and dogs, and dogs should be exercised daily]

How much money can I spend on food every month? [it can cost often over $50]

Can I enroll in a training class? [training classes are a good idea for certain breeds of dogs and they're good for socializing puppies]

How many hours would the pet be spending alone every day? [don't leave your pet alone for long periods of time!

If more than 6-8 hours, can I hire someone to walk the dog or feed the cat? [you could hire a trustworthy neighborhood kid to walk Fido while you work, or to feed Kitty when you're out late]

Do I travel frequently? [pets and frequent travelers most often do not mix]

Are there any young children around? [certain breeds like terrier dogs are generally not good with small children]

Are there other pets? [always introduce pets on neutral territory, and know your pets. For example, pit bulls are dog aggressive and cannot be left unsupervised with other animals]

Are there elderly humans around? [hyper animals and elderly people are usually not good matches]

bubbatd

I feel that any dog you find at a pet store will be over priced and of poor breeding. You'd do better through rescue or humane society ....both making sure they are fixed , up on their shots and healthy.

jrenter

I wouldn't be getting a dog for a least a few years...after I've generated enough income to last me through enough of my lifetime! :p The only problem with shelters is the type of pets they have. When I was looking for cats a couple years ago, my mom and I were looking at cats at the local shelter and many of them were out-of-control crazy. You'd come up a couple feet to them and they'd freak out. I guess I'm saying what would the dogs be like? The same? I just want to make sure that when I do get a dog, if I do, I'd like to get one that would be safe! ;)

I've had several dogs from the shelter. One, Bear, a German Shepherd/Akita mix who was about five when he came to me and had lived most of his life abandoned in the streets, even became a certified animal therapist through the University of Tennessee!

Getting a dog through a pet store = BIG TROUBLE. Please, don't add to the problem of supporting the puppy-mill breeding issue!!!!

jrenter

Renee750il said:
I've had several dogs from the shelter. One, Bear, a German Shepherd/Akita mix who was about five when he came to me and had lived most of his life abandoned in the streets, even became a certified animal therapist through the University of Tennessee!
Aw!

Our landscaper has a really nice dog. It's a black lab. Such a doll! :) She would come up to you and just snuggle right in. It was so adorable. He said he got her at a local breeder, just outside the town here. I'm not too sure if they'd still be around or not. I might give him a call later on and see.

candy722

My friend adopted two cats. One of the cat is very needy and friendly. The other one is out of control and doesn't trust anyone.

Not all rescue animals are going to be nervous and "out of control". I have three rescue dogs. They are absolute sweethearts, wonderful dogs. Pet store puppies often have housebreaking issues, because they've been stuffed in cages most of their lives.

Please read this www.stoppuppymills.org. You don't want to be supporting backyard breeders and puppy mills. Dogs that are sold in the paper and at pet stores are from these places. If the breeder does not show, does no health tests (like OFA and OFE), does not scan buyers, breeds mixes...they're bad luck and STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

mrose_s

BusterLove
gaddylovesdogs said:
Any store that sells puppies or kittens is bad news. Avoid them at all costs! All they want is money, they don't care about the animals or their customers. And I guarantee a puppy mill pup will not be healthy. Go for a shelter.
not all pet stores, ours gets there animals from people that have a dog that had pups they dont want

mrose_s

BusterLove
but yes, i live in a TINY town, not big enough to support a puppy mill. but a shelter is defientley the way to go over a pet store any day

Members online

No members online now.