Barn Hunt question

JacksonsMom

So, I've got my iPhone calender full of events coming up that I am trying to remember to go to... all super close to my dads house, where I am ALL the time, so excited to have a club like this so close.

So basically, there is a Barn Hunt Practice on Sun Sept 8th.

Then there is the actual Barn Hunt 'trial' at the same place on the weekend of Sept 21-22nd. http://barnhunt.com/ai1ec_event/queenstown-md-trial/?instance_id=

Then there is Earthdog on the weekend of Oct 26-27. Two tests on Saturday and one on Sunday. Also, they will offer a Barn Hunt Test on Friday Oct 25th.

So we've never tried earthdog or barn hunt.

Here is the premium for the barn hunt trial on Sept 21-22. I have to pay and send this in by Sept 16: http://talbotkennelclub.org/downloads/TKC_Barn_Hunt_13.pdf

On the last page, I have to circle which classes I want:
Sat Sept 21: Trial 1: RATI RATN Trial 2: RATN RATO
Then on Sun Sept 22 they have RATI, RATN and RATO

So let's say I go on Saturday... do I just do all 3? RATI, RATN and RATO, or do most people just do one? If Jackson 'passes', does he get a ribbon, or a title, or something? I honestly am pretty clueless when it comes to dog titles and sports and such and the specifics of it all. We've just dabbled in agility and dock diving for fun really so yeah... newbie here.

Flyinsbt

You can't do all 3. You can't enter RATO until you have your RATN title. You would earn that title by qualifying in RATN 3 times. What I'd advise entering, since you haven't done it before, is RATI and RATN. RATI is the instinct test, and would give you some idea of how your dog responds to the rat. RATN is the Novice level. You can enter RATI until your dog has the RATN title. And yes, you'll get a ribbon if your dog qualifies.

You do need to register Jackson with the BHA before you could enter him in a Barn Hunt event. If you haven't done that yet, that's okay, you have time, you register online:
http://barnhunt.com/register-your-dog/

If you can get to the practice day, I would do that. It really helps to get an introduction to the sport, you can see how Jackson alerts on a rat, and if he needs any work on the climbing or tunneling elements (a surprising number of dogs are unwilling to do one or the other of those.) I did 2 or 3 fun tests before I was able to make it to an actual trial, and while I very likely could have qualified without those, it gave me a lot more confidence when we did compete, which is why both my dogs finished their Novice titles and got a leg in Open their first weekend out. Wouldn't have happened without the previous practice.

JacksonsMom

You can't do all 3. You can't enter RATO until you have your RATN title. You would earn that title by qualifying in RATN 3 times. What I'd advise entering, since you haven't done it before, is RATI and RATN. RATI is the instinct test, and would give you some idea of how your dog responds to the rat. RATN is the Novice level. You can enter RATI until your dog has the RATN title. And yes, you'll get a ribbon if your dog qualifies.

You do need to register Jackson with the BHA before you could enter him in a Barn Hunt event. If you haven't done that yet, that's okay, you have time, you register online:
http://barnhunt.com/register-your-dog/

If you can get to the practice day, I would do that. It really helps to get an introduction to the sport, you can see how Jackson alerts on a rat, and if he needs any work on the climbing or tunneling elements (a surprising number of dogs are unwilling to do one or the other of those.) I did 2 or 3 fun tests before I was able to make it to an actual trial, and while I very likely could have qualified without those, it gave me a lot more confidence when we did compete, which is why both my dogs finished their Novice titles and got a leg in Open their first weekend out. Wouldn't have happened without the previous practice.
Ok awesome -that was exactly what I needed to know. :)

I am definitely planning on going to the practice first!

Members online

No members online now.