The Venting Thread

Taqroy

I told him I could not handle her living with us. Period. Not now, not with our current situation/housing. Which I think he accepted. I don't want to put him in a position of her or me, but I just couldn't cope of she were living with us. Which may make me selfish, but by god, then so be it.

I'm trying to figure how how to best broach the, "Are you insane, we cannot afford to support your mother" talk. Especially when if we don't, she may end up in a downward spiral. Ugh.
I'm really truly sorry you're in this position. I hope you can find a resolution that gives everyone peace. :(

I don't think you're selfish at all. Matt and I have talked about our parents getting older and what we're willing to do and living with us? <nonocat> Nothing good can come of a situation where you're forced to live with and care for someone else.

Melle

I'm trying to find a job for after this one at the zoo ends at the end of October and it's so annoying.

Partly because I can't remember half the places that are around me, they're on the other side of the city, or they're looking for more advanced positions. I'd love for PetSmart to call me back, that'd be my best option.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
There are options with his mom. There are volunteer guardians and if she is bad enough to have to live with you she should be able to meet nursing home placement. Otherwise it will be years of her living there. Maybe I thinking of someone else but think this has been an issue? We deal with this all the time at work so just ask if any questions!
And just read your next post- never take her in. There are behavioral health nursing homes if she can not handle herself. If she threatens suicide call 911 and have her admitted to hospital and eventually they will get her there. Keep pushing for them to have a dr write an expert eval for a volunteer guardian. And this is a situation where you need to stand up and say no.
It's been an issue before, but never to this point. She lost her job and is only comfortable looking for another job in the same position she had (nursing). And no one is hiring her due to her age versus new graduates. I say she needs to suck it up and deal with whatever job she can get, but no, of course not. That's too much for her.

If we were to push for her to go into assisted living, or have a caregiver, she wouldn't allow it and would probably cut all ties with Michael. She cut all ties to her mother based on a perceived insult, and she never looked back. This is the grandmother who is dying in a nursing home with no one there for her because Michael and I are stuck 900 miles away. I don't think Michael could handle it if his mother broke off ties with him.

Now that initial bombardment of emotions has fade, I plan to speak with him more about it this evening. I just not know how to delicately say what I want to say. :/

SoCrafty

I would really like it if this horrendous cold I caught the second to last day of our honeymoon would go away. It's been almost a week now and it is still going strong now it feels like it is firmly settled in to my chest with a cough that sounds very bad. Sigh. Second week of married life is already doing the whole "in sickness" part well.

Melle

Really feeling the stress from the boyfriend this week, he's afraid about his parents giving the runaround explanations to him in terms of hosting him when he comes home from Work Release.

On the bright side, we can talk again and this will soon cease to be a long distance relationship. Very rocky but worth it.

dog is laying in the sun, looking adorable AND MY CAMERA IS STILL BROKEN. Also, tomorrow heading down to NYC to the Climate Change March AND MY CAMERA IS STILL BROKEN. I think it did this to me on purpose so that I'd appreciate it more

xpaeanx

dog is laying in the sun, looking adorable AND MY CAMERA IS STILL BROKEN. Also, tomorrow heading down to NYC to the Climate Change March AND MY CAMERA IS STILL BROKEN. I think it did this to me on purpose so that I'd appreciate it more
Did you take it to get fixed yet? Do you have a P&S to use? If you really need a camera and are willing to add to your journey you can borrow mine.

I have a D90 with assorted lenses.

Did you take it to get fixed yet? Do you have a P&S to use? If you really need a camera and are willing to add to your journey you can borrow mine.

I have a D90 with assorted lenses.
No, we're taking it down to a shop in the city while we're down there tomorrow. It's the closest Nikon repair place. I do have P&S, but of course, it's in Ohio at my parent's house. Thanks for the offer, but I'll just suck it up and use my cellphone. I doubt I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures anyone. Just a few quick ones here & there.

xpaeanx

No, we're taking it down to a shop in the city while we're down there tomorrow. It's the closest Nikon repair place. I do have P&S, but of course, it's in Ohio at my parent's house. Thanks for the offer, but I'll just suck it up and use my cellphone. I doubt I'm going to be taking a lot of pictures anyone. Just a few quick ones here & there.
Alright. I hope they get it fixed for you! :)

*blackrose

My vent for the day:

If you cannot afford to medically treat your dog....don't have a dog. I understand being stingy. I understand not having hundreds of dollars to drop. I do. I'm in that position. So don't think I'm venting about that only rich people should own animals.

Just had a conference call with my family. My sister's dog did something to her rear leg. SCREAMING at the top of its lungs every time she goes to move. The dog was loud enough that Abrams could hear it through my phone and was worried. My sister has no money. My parents don't have a disposable income that they can drop on a dog that they don't want at their house nor are responsible for.

Luckily, I had some Rimadyl/Tramadol stocked with "old dog medications" left over from Rose that mom was able to scrounge up and so now the pup is on strict crate rest and the meds.

But come on. Don't have the $150 to have an exam and radiographs done? Don't have the dog.

UUUUUGH

Last edited:

GipsyQueen

I would really like it if this horrendous cold I caught the second to last day of our honeymoon would go away. It's been almost a week now and it is still going strong now it feels like it is firmly settled in to my chest with a cough that sounds very bad. Sigh. Second week of married life is already doing the whole "in sickness" part well.
Must be something going around.. I hsave the same thing... and also caught it on the second to last day of vacation. Now, thanks to the flight my ear aches. :(

I get kinda sick of people judging me because I am 26 years old and still live with my mom...What most people DON'T get is that 5 years ago my mom was laid off from her job after 31 years of service and is now drawing her pension (which was extremely cut back due to her drawing it early) which makes it impossible for her to get a job in the same line of work (retail/grocery/bakery etc). And she is is far from tech savvy or healthy enough to work in a factory setting. Also She is 57 so her options are kinda limited due to not so great health.

My mom and I have always lived well together. We get along really well and she loves the animals just as much as I do. We barely ever argue. I have no rules or guidelines to follow (because i'm an adult). And without me here to pay all the utility bills, buy groceries, and buy gas for the car she would not be able to keep her home.

So I really take offence when people think I am "living off my mommy" when really it's no different than living with a roommate. I also get annoyed when people think I am forced to live here...No! I made the choice to do this. I made the choice to not watch my mom lose her house and have to move in with crazy relatives. I was not asked to but I made the choice to take over paying a majority of the bills. Because I am single, have no other commitments in my life. And it works for myself and the canines ;).

Also due to my moms poor health we are currently waiting to see if she qualifies (which all the doctors say she does) to receive social security/disability. If that happens that would be a HUGE god send and we could stop living paycheck to paycheck. That would also free me up to possibly move into my own place someday. But in all honesty I am in no hurry.

I just wish the stigma and the judgement would go away. I mainly get it from younger friends (fresh out of high school or college) that can't imagine why I would want to live like this.

I do have to admit though. A few friends have recently had to move back in with their parents due to financial issues. And it's so hard to me not to go "Nah! Nah! Nah! It's not so easy out there on your own is it?:rolleyes:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
So I really take offence when people think I am "living off my mommy" when really it's no different than living with a roommate. I also get annoyed when people think I am forced to live here...No! I made the choice to do this. I made the choice to not watch my mom lose her house and have to move in with crazy relatives. I was not asked to but I made the choice to take over paying a majority of the bills. Because I am single, have no other commitments in my life. And it works for myself and the canines ;).
I got this a lot too. Or "hurr hurr must be nice not having any bills." Uhh? I'm sorry, just because I live with my parents doesn't mean I don't have bills. As it happens there are quite a few parents who charge their kids rent to stay with them... expect them to pay their way with food, gas, et cetera... I mean, I know several people who had those situations. I can't be the ONLY person to know several people in those situations. So why do so many people act like that's not a thing and just make a big assumption about it? Ughhh.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I get kinda sick of people judging me because I am 26 years old and still live with my mom...What most people DON'T get is that 5 years ago my mom was laid off from her job after 31 years of service and is now drawing her pension (which was extremely cut back due to her drawing it early) which makes it impossible for her to get a job in the same line of work (retail/grocery/bakery etc). And she is is far from tech savvy or healthy enough to work in a factory setting. Also She is 57 so her options are kinda limited due to not so great health.

My mom and I have always lived well together. We get along really well and she loves the animals just as much as I do. We barely ever argue. I have no rules or guidelines to follow (because i'm an adult). And without me here to pay all the utility bills, buy groceries, and buy gas for the car she would not be able to keep her home.

Also due to my moms poor health we are currently waiting to see if she qualifies (which all the doctors say she does) to receive social security/disability. If that happens that would be a HUGE god send and we could stop living paycheck to paycheck. That would also free me up to possibly move into my own place someday. But in all honesty I am in no hurry.

I just wish the stigma and the judgement would go away. I mainly get it from younger friends (fresh out of high school or college) that can't imagine why I would want to live like this.

I do have to admit though. A few friends have recently had to move back in with their parents due to financial issues. And it's so hard to me not to go "Nah! Nah! Nah! It's not so easy out there on your own is it?:rolleyes:
Same here ... I am home living with my folks part of the time to help them with the ranch since they are older and can't do some of the hard labor. Everyone is like "you're living at home off your parents? " first of all, I am actively looking for a job, I am not planning to be a bum sitting on my ass. On top of that, I am working from o - dark thirty to o - dark thirty on the ranch while I am looking for a job.

*blackrose

Got a call from the nursing staff this morning...Michael's grandmother passed away. :( She went quickly and peacefully, with a nurse by her side, but I'm upset that it wasn't us there with her, and I know Michael probably thinks the same. He had wanted to be up there, but either didn't pursue or wasn't qualified for emergency leave at the time.

Wish there was more I could do. :(

SoCrafty

I will never make plans with my sister again.

My uncle passed away suddenly yesterday. We were trying to make plans and the airfare was too expensive for all of us. Plus renting a car for my husband and I. We just spent all this money on our honeymoon. We don't have the extra. So we decided that the four of us would drive up together, split the gas in half and we would be able to drive straight through. She decided to make a mini vacation out of it and took the rest of the week off. Leaving us trying to figure out how to drive 16 hours there stay for the funeral and drive the 16 hours back. All in 3 days.

Come to find out work does not do bereavement for uncles - even when you are very close to them. Which is fine. But then not knowing FOR SURE when the funeral is (Wed? Thurs? Fri?) makes telling your boss you need time off but you don't know how MUCH time off very hard. Thankfully we both got approved for the rest of the week or else I would have had no idea how to make this work.

And I would NOT miss paying my respects to this man for anything. He was a veteran, and the sweetest man I will probably ever know - other than my father. The fact that I just saw him makes this worse. The world lost a very great man yesterday.

Then my sister acts like I'm making a big deal out of it. Sorry I just spent money on drinks and snacks for four people.

So. Long story short - he and I are driving up, and her and her husband a driving up. On the same days and coming home same days. Irritating.

Last edited:

Melle

Dropped my phone in an inch of soapy water while scrubbing the horse feed pans at work. Now it's in a bag of rice acting wonky as I'm expecting the daily call from my boyfriend :/

Ended up having to spend a bunch of money and now I'm 10 dollars under my desired minimum. And still waiting for the last paycheck to actually get put in.

Other annoying stuff. Today was not the day.

JazzyTheSibe

Love is 4 legged word
Got a call from the nursing staff this morning...Michael's grandmother passed away. :( She went quickly and peacefully, with a nurse by her side, but I'm upset that it wasn't us there with her, and I know Michael probably thinks the same. He had wanted to be up there, but either didn't pursue or wasn't qualified for emergency leave at the time.

Wish there was more I could do. :(
I will never make plans with my sister again.

My uncle passed away suddenly yesterday. We were trying to make plans and the airfare was too expensive for all of us. Plus renting a car for my husband and I. We just spent all this money on our honeymoon. We don't have the extra. So we decided that the four of us would drive up together, split the gas in half and we would be able to drive straight through. She decided to make a mini vacation out of it and took the rest of the week off. Leaving us trying to figure out how to drive 16 hours there stay for the funeral and drive the 16 hours back. All in 3 days.

Come to find out work does not do bereavement for uncles - even when you are very close to them. Which is fine. But then not knowing FOR SURE when the funeral is (Wed? Thurs? Fri?) makes telling your boss you need time off but you don't know how MUCH time off very hard. Thankfully we both got approved for the rest of the week or else I would have had no idea how to make this work.

And I would NOT miss paying my respects to this man for anything. He was a veteran, and the sweetest man I will probably ever know - other than my father. The fact that I just saw him makes this worse. The world lost a very great man yesterday.

Then my sister acts like I'm making a big deal out of it. Sorry I just spent money on drinks and snacks for four people.

So. Long story short - he and I are driving up, and her and her husband a driving up. On the same days and coming home same days. Irritating.
(((HUGS))) to the both of you. I'm so sorry for your losses.

Dropped my phone in an inch of soapy water while scrubbing the horse feed pans at work. Now it's in a bag of rice acting wonky as I'm expecting the daily call from my boyfriend :/

Ended up having to spend a bunch of money and now I'm 10 dollars under my desired minimum. And still waiting for the last paycheck to actually get put in.

Other annoying stuff. Today was not the day.
That sucks. I know someone who dropped there phone in the toilet,& it wasn't flushed...:rofl1:

Members online

No members online now.