spot to be nasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

poeluvr

Manchesters said:
Why do you have to take jabs and slings at me like you did above? What the heck does money have to do with anything??? I hate to burst your bubble, but no reputable dog person ever makes any money from dogs! A friend of mine broke even one year for the first time in 20 years! If you had a clue about breeding and showing then maybe you would not try to be so snide--even tho you weren't trying to offend personally, rofl.

The reason I have said people need to learn about Manchesters is because unless someone is at least familiar with Terriers in general they have NO IDEA of the stubbornness of these dogs. I started cutting my puppies toenails when they were 2 weeks old, so they would not claw the hell out of their mothers breasts. Now, we are talking a puppy that is smaller than a tennis ball, that refuses to be held still. There is nothing to hold onto while you cut the tiny little nails. It is a real struggle, believe me. And it is funny as hell to see the little monsters wiggling out of the tightest grip! They are like worms!!!!!

I do not have to tie any of my dogs' mouths shut now. They all know that they are not going to be killed when I do their nails. But there were times when they would decide to give me a hard time, so I would just tie their mouths closed. If some people around here would look up the definition of "muzzling" they would not be confused by the syntax I use. In general it means to prevent a dog from opening its mouth.

I went thru hell with Ridge when I got him. He was about 15 months old, and would have eaten my ass up. After many years of tying his mouth, we no longer have a problem, and I no longer have to tie his mouth.

I have talked with many Manchester breeders, and heard some pretty funny stories about what they resort to in order to cut nails. One super lady told me that she just turns them upside down, and clamps them between her thighs, rofl. Another lady puts the dog into a sling, and while it hangs there cuts the nails. And before Adrienne says something dumb, that is a full body sling...usually a towel with 4 holes cut in for the legs.

Now my dogs all mostly doze off while I am doing their nails and cleaning their teeth. So......again, I hate to say it, but I do know what I am talking about!

As to the question of what is so different about my dogs compared to others.............Sight hounds in particular have to be handled carefully. They have no body fat, and so are susceptible to anything that can get thru the skin. They are also ultra sensitive to any type of sedative. A normal dose of anesthetic may kill a sight hound. The same is true for Manchesters.

Also, Terriers AND sight hounds are treacherous, and CAN NOT BE LEFT ALONE UNATTENDED. In fact, Manchesters are one of the miracle terrier breeds that can be turned out together. The majority of Terrier breeds cannot be put together--either males or females. They will do their best to kill each other. That is typical Terrier Temperament.

Whippets and Greyhounds can start a fight at the drop of a hat, and slash the hell out of each other. Their skin is paper thin, and can tear easily. Greyhounds turned out muzzled can still slash each other with their nails. I have one Whippet male that I cannot trust, so when he goes out with his brother and the male Manchesters, he wears his muzzle. It is of course a wire basket plastic muzzle, so he can drink, or even eat pizza crust with it on. Once in a while he will try to make mashed potatoes out of a Manchester, but only half heartedly.

Those who made snide remarks about my insistence upon crating my dogs know nothing about the characteristics of my dogs. I do not care to risk a blood bath because the brats started a spat that got out of hand when I was not here. And of course, having a group of dogs, the pack instinct kicks in, and they will all jump on whichever dog is loosing the argument. And rip it to shreds. Nice, huh?

So anyway......it helps to understand why someone is saying what they are saying if you KNOW what their situation is.

As far as dogs doing well eating garbage????? What the hell!!!!! If they do good on it, then by all means feed them garbage for heaven's sake!!!!!!!!!! Geesh.......give me a break! I have provided proof for the quality of what I feed my dogs in my signature.....finally, lol. As I have said, the only proof of a food is what kind of puppies you get from females fed on this food during gestation, and during lactation, and the condition of the puppies. I rest my case. Plus the pups are cute as hell, rofl.
well there are always ways, who knows if u do regular health checks, i dont know, the rest of us dont, and there are plenty of ways to get plenty of money from dogs with a title. i dont know alot, but my uncles a breeder i see him daily, a high quality breeder at that. he has one husky that is in competitions constantly, and so my uncle told me breeding them is his hobby, he gets them registered pays oodles of money for vet bills, but does many at time get profit,,,not that hes looking for it,,jusst when you price the huskys for 850, and people buy them the vet bills, food, and training are minimal to the prfoit of sometimes 6000, and keep in mind he does only have them for 9 weeks and checks at the owners to their very core!
you seem somewhat strict of your dogs, you have never once mentioned a cute story, when one of your manchesters has jumped up on your lap, and if u did..once..u mostly just talk of how prized they are.
I am not a breeder but i know enough to beleive in what im saying. and u really didnt have to take it personally, u should know that since i said i am not meaning it personally. your older right, well with your atittude i could never imagine u a grandmother

M

Manchesters

Lea--p.s.

When dealing with Manchesters, you are NOT dealing with a dog that is terrified! You are dealing with a stubborn pain in the butt that is bound and determined it is NOT going to do what you want, and is NOT going to co-operate in any way, shape, or fashion. In a case like that, you must do whatever it takes to prevent the dog from outsmarting you! You cannot let them win, or it just gets worse!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
But you also see puppies at the pet store that probably are fed Ol' Roy puppy or Kibbles N' Bits and they still look all healthy puppy-like. But if they were put on a premium food they could or would look so much better. When I first got Sawyer I had no idea what he had been eating (he had been found as a stray in rural country), but he still looked fine and healthy to me. Now that I've got him on a premium food, he looks loads better.

This is not to totally knock Pedigree. We feed Pedigree EN at work because it's supposed to be easier on dog's GI systems when under higher amounts of stress and most of the dogs do just fine on it.

Y

yuckaduck

I know a lady that took her Manchester to a vet to be vaccinated and why I don't know but the dog freaked out so the vet jammed it between the door and the door frame. Ended up breaking ribs the dog died three days later and the vet said oh well maybe we should have tried the muzzle instead. No Ya Think! I know nothing if the breed of Manchesters, I saw the website and thought they were cute as hell though. But as far as knowledge on them, nope none.

Y

yuckaduck

Someone mentioned earlier something about lying to prove our points, nope not me. If I don't know then I don't know. Can't learn nothin if I know everything now can I. Man if I knew everything I would be rich because I could predict the future, cool, I'd like that. I have learned more since joining chazhound than I ever learned anywhere else. Thanks guys all of you.

M

Manchesters

How Much Time Do You Have.......

LEA said:
well there are always ways, who knows if u do regular health checks, i dont know, the rest of us dont, and there are plenty of ways to get plenty of money from dogs with a title. i dont know alot, but my uncles a breeder i see him daily, a high quality breeder at that. he has one husky that is in competitions constantly, and so my uncle told me breeding them is his hobby, he gets them registered pays oodles of money for vet bills, but does many at time get profit,,,not that hes looking for it,,jusst when you price the huskys for 850, and people buy them the vet bills, food, and training are minimal to the prfoit of sometimes 6000, and keep in mind he does only have them for 9 weeks and checks at the owners to their very core!
you seem somewhat strict of your dogs, you have never once mentioned a cute story, when one of your manchesters has jumped up on your lap, and if u did..once..u mostly just talk of how prized they are.
I am not a breeder but i know enough to beleive in what im saying. and u really didnt have to take it personally, u should know that since i said i am not meaning it personally. your older right, well with your atittude i could never imagine u a grandmother
For stories, roflmbo! For instance....let us see if this picture will come out OK.....
This is sweet Lucy Goose. Normally she is sleeping ON my shoulder.
And this one......

My dogs and I are all senior citizens now, and lead fairly quiet lives. I have to sleep in my reclining chair because of my back, and there are 8 who regularly use me for their heated water bed, rofl. If I want to shift my position, I have to make them all get down, and try to move as quick as I can before they start jumping back up on me. If the above pictures show, the first one is of Lucy Goose, sleeping on my shoulder. The second one is her sister, "Birdie Girl" leaping up onto my lap.

Birdie got her name (real name is Missy) because she is my bird watching dog. Whenever I sit to watch the birds, she hops up onto me, flips over on her back, and goes to sleep in the crook of my arm. That is her idea of watching birdies, rofl. She just loooovvvveees birdies, lol. Once she saw some doves walking on the ground, and had a heart attack. I tried to explain to her that those ARE birds, lol. She didn't believe me. She had never actually seen a bird, just like the sound of the word, rofl.

Anyway, as far as your uncle, I have no comment since I know nothing about him or his dogs. I do know that many people have no use for those who subject sled dogs to the horrors of racing. Those people are too stupid to know that sled dogs LIVE to run and to pull. It is NOT cruel as far as the dog is concerned. But these people insist on looking at things from a strictly human point of view. And again, since they know nothing about the characteristics of sled dogs, they come up with stupid statements like "the cruelty of iditarod and such!

Hope you have a bit more insight into my life as a doggy person!

Doberluv

Well, I guess I'm lucky...have had dogs living with horses, for about 1/2 century and never had a dog get tetanus. I suppose they could, but those cuts on their pads are probably not normally deep enough to get into the capilaries...unless they get a pretty severe ouchie.

About age...yes, I agree with many toy breeds being a little older when they're sent off to their new homes. Chihuhahuas, at any rate are prone to hypoglycemia and that's always a worry for breeders sending them off. My Dobe, I got at 9 weeks, when his ears were healed up. The breeder wouldn't let them go until the scabs were all but gone. But in a general sort of way, for many breeds, most breeds, 8 weeks is really quite a good time to get a pup. IMO of course. But also the opinion of many, many dog people.

****! Now that I have FINALLY come to the end of this thread, I'm out of time! Well, I have to say *something*.
I crate my puppy and she is fine with it. I've never crated any of my other dogs before and they were fine too.
I feed my puppy Nutro Ultra and she is healthy. Some people on this forum are just obsessed with trying to force people into feeding what they believe is the best food. It's annoying.
The very first dog I ever fell in love with as a kid was a Manchester Terrier named Tippy. He wasn't even my dog, but a distant neighbors'. I visited him every day and I even stole a rhinestone collar for him from K-mart.
I have a terrier mix and she is everything Manchesters said terriers are. She will need to be muzzled to have her nails cut because the Vet nicked her quick and she never forgot, even though she was quite young. Before that, I was doing them myself and had no problem. She is stubborn, hyper and frusterating, while at the same time, adorable, amusing and very smart.
Personally I find Manchesters to be quite amusing. I like an older person with "crust". I also think she is quite a lonely person, judging by some of the things she has said. Lots of dog people have a difficult time dealing with the human race. I can relate.
I also rather enjoy the way she pisses people off. It's your fault (to whom it applies) for rising to the bait.
I just don't understand how people can get personally offended by someone over the internet who really knows nothing about them. This whole "debate" is just dumb.
Speak your minds and let people read and decide for themselves what is right for them and their dog. Nobody is going to win this arguement!
Ok...said my piece. Carry on....

Pam

poeluvr

Manchesters said:
For stories, roflmbo! For instance....let us see if this picture will come out OK.....
This is sweet Lucy Goose. Normally she is sleeping ON my shoulder.
And this one......

My dogs and I are all senior citizens now, and lead fairly quiet lives. I have to sleep in my reclining chair because of my back, and there are 8 who regularly use me for their heated water bed, rofl. If I want to shift my position, I have to make them all get down, and try to move as quick as I can before they start jumping back up on me. If the above pictures show, the first one is of Lucy Goose, sleeping on my shoulder. The second one is her sister, "Birdie Girl" leaping up onto my lap.

Birdie got her name (real name is Missy) because she is my bird watching dog. Whenever I sit to watch the birds, she hops up onto me, flips over on her back, and goes to sleep in the crook of my arm. That is her idea of watching birdies, rofl. She just loooovvvveees birdies, lol. Once she saw some doves walking on the ground, and had a heart attack. I tried to explain to her that those ARE birds, lol. She didn't believe me. She had never actually seen a bird, just like the sound of the word, rofl.

Anyway, as far as your uncle, I have no comment since I know nothing about him or his dogs. I do know that many people have no use for those who subject sled dogs to the horrors of racing. Those people are too stupid to know that sled dogs LIVE to run and to pull. It is NOT cruel as far as the dog is concerned. But these people insist on looking at things from a strictly human point of view. And again, since they know nothing about the characteristics of sled dogs, they come up with stupid statements like "the cruelty of iditarod and such!

Hope you have a bit more insight into my life as a doggy person!
the dogs are sold as pets and for competitions, not sledding by the way( which i dont have a problem with, if they are treated fairly, i wouldnt even mention ur issues about sleeding, considering the number of people on her who do have sled dogs.
see isnt sharing stories about ur beauties more fun then arguing?
I simply mentioned my uncle to tell you i am not a complete moron who gts things from the sky, but have proffesional breeding in my background.
I can't imagine a person of your age, knowledge, and being a dog lover to have suuch attitude so i am giving you the benifit of the doubt, and thinking your not like this in reality

M

Manchesters

Well, To Tell The Truth.........

LEA said:
the dogs are sold as pets and for competitions, not sledding by the way( which i dont have a problem with, if they are treated fairly, i wouldnt even mention ur issues about sleeding, considering the number of people on her who do have sled dogs.
see isnt sharing stories about ur beauties more fun then arguing?
I simply mentioned my uncle to tell you i am not a complete moron who gts things from the sky, but have proffesional breeding in my background.
I can't imagine a person of your age, knowledge, and being a dog lover to have suuch attitude so i am giving you the benifit of the doubt, and thinking your not like this in reality
I have been known to try pulling people's chains on purpose.

I don't have any issues about sledding. I was simply stating what PETA has to say about it, and several other bleeding heart groups. What kind of competitions do your uncle's go to?

I am not quite sure what kind of attitude you are referring to. But I have very little patience for those who post baloney as though it were fact. Like the stuff about dog food. If Pedigree is garbage, then post factual information about damage that has been caused to dogs by feeding this food. Not just quote crapola from web sites owned by the manufacturers of the more over priced dog foods. And just WHO called for the studies, and financed them?????? As I have said over and over, after feeding a particular food for 20+ years, and having bred bitches who were fed on this food, and seeing the outstanding health and condition of the pups I am happy with this food. I have no time for stupidity. Period. And very little patience for it either. I try to keep my mouth shut, but sometimes after days of reading idiocy, I get pissed! Especially since the people posting this baloney have NO CLUE or PROOF of what they are saying. Just a bunch of "Maybes" or "perhaps". They know nothing about how different breeds handle excess protein, or the carbohydrate requirements of Toy breeds. They know nothing......but that doesn't slow them down one bit!!

So.......I will not be convinced by idiocy or reports that are not based in fact. And I will not put up with being ridiculed because I know what is best for my dogs!

However, the time comes when it is just time to allow the ignorant their ignorance. They cling to it so tenaciously! Why try to educate them. That ain't MY job! But I will take first hand experience and research over reports any day!!!!!!

Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed the pictures. I have scores of them. Just have to transfer them to my website so I can link to them from here.

poeluvr

well he does showing(best of breed, i know some ppl dont agree with that but he does it)obedience competitions....not too sure what else. i think he once in the fourth run(something like that) of becoming best of breed( for husky for best in show..i think it would be kool if he made it and made it to on T.V, but he was still ways off.
hes kinda like you though, he doesnt really do it anymore

M

Manchesters

Hi Pam

thewhitewitchone said:
****! Now that I have FINALLY come to the end of this thread, I'm out of time! Well, I have to say *something*.
I crate my puppy and she is fine with it. I've never crated any of my other dogs before and they were fine too.
I feed my puppy Nutro Ultra and she is healthy. Some people on this forum are just obsessed with trying to force people into feeding what they believe is the best food. It's annoying.
The very first dog I ever fell in love with as a kid was a Manchester Terrier named Tippy. He wasn't even my dog, but a distant neighbors'. I visited him every day and I even stole a rhinestone collar for him from K-mart.
I have a terrier mix and she is everything Manchesters said terriers are. She will need to be muzzled to have her nails cut because the Vet nicked her quick and she never forgot, even though she was quite young. Before that, I was doing them myself and had no problem. She is stubborn, hyper and frusterating, while at the same time, adorable, amusing and very smart.
Personally I find Manchesters to be quite amusing. I like an older person with "crust". I also think she is quite a lonely person, judging by some of the things she has said. Lots of dog people have a difficult time dealing with the human race. I can relate.
I also rather enjoy the way she pisses people off. It's your fault (to whom it applies) for rising to the bait.
I just don't understand how people can get personally offended by someone over the internet who really knows nothing about them. This whole "debate" is just dumb.
Speak your minds and let people read and decide for themselves what is right for them and their dog. Nobody is going to win this arguement!
Ok...said my piece. Carry on....

Pam
I hate to say it, but I think you might have as warped a sense of humor and mischief as I! Only thing I must correct is your guessing that I am lonely. I prefer to be ALONE. I am never lonely. I just have no use for most of the human race. People are nothing but a source of annoyance and aggravation---for the most part. I spent thousands of dollars fencing myself off from the outside world. Of course, it also gives the beasties a safe place to run and play.

I just admit to getting more short tempered with those who post totally moronic garbage just to show their ignorance----like the above post about feeding dogs crisco and having them fat and shiny.

There is a great divide between the breeder/exhibitor mentality and the pet mentality. Take for instance the food debate. The pet mentality thinks in terms of one or two dogs that might have nice coats and plump bodies. They have no concept that I am talking about having fed hundreds of dogs over the last 30 years! Plus having seen and been around thousands of dogs fed by others. They cannot begin to conceive of the scope of experience that a long term professional dog person has under his/her belt. And I am supposed to forget all that I have seen with my own eyes because some pet person happened across some reports produced by those with a vested interest to degrading commercial dog food?? Give me a break!

Anyhow, I am tired of wasting my time. It is only my responsibility to present the facts based upon my extensive experience for others to consider. I could care less what John or Jane Doe feed their dogs. If whatever they feed works for them, then fine! I have NO WHERE told anyone to feed their dogs Pedigree or Ol Roy or anything else. Yet those who know nothing have the temerity to tell someone with more experience than they will ever live to acquire, what I should or should not feed my dogs! Talk about rude and ignorant!

Well, again it enjoyed reading your post. It was a breath of fresh air!!!

poeluvr

ummm...i realise that you wish to be alone, you must still socialize your dogs though, even though they are seniors, or they will have no human contact besides you and become aggressif..but im sure you know that, and im sure you are not alone all the time, thats not good for you manchester, even if you have ur babies with you?

M

Manchesters

LEA said:
well he does showing(best of breed, i know some ppl dont agree with that but he does it)obedience competitions....not too sure what else. i think he once in the fourth run(something like that) of becoming best of breed( for husky for best in show..i think it would be kool if he made it and made it to on T.V, but he was still ways off.
hes kinda like you though, he doesnt really do it anymore
The sire of my great grandson has been on TV on the Westminster show for about the last 4 years in the Group Judging. His son is doing very well in Canada.......8 all breed Best In Shows, #1 Toy Manchester, #6 Toy, etc. Jake will probably be on again in Feb. If not, Indy might be. They are sending him down to the states for Jim to show.

Most Sledding dogs do not do real well in obedience. They do not have the mind set needed for good, consistent obedience work. And they are noted for running away from home, rofl. Of course when you stop and think what they were bred to do (run away from the person behind them) that becomes understandable.

Well, I am wiped out. Spent most of the day sitting up here reading and typing. My back is broke! Hope every one has a nice night. Even the Crisco idiot.

Stopping the Madness

Richie1234 said:
I haven't read much in this thread... but I'm starting to think that maybe this wasn't the best idea... this is just making us spread hate... Manchesters obviously refuses to learn from other people, even though this is the whole point of this forum, and we aren't anything better, we're just doing the same thing right now... I suggest we should stop... this thread is 34 pages of hate as far as I know...
Yuckaduck's initial proposition was working out well for awhile, but this has totally devolved into, well, no good is coming of it anymore.

How is it that we can discuss truly twitchy subjects like personal beliefs here but this kind of thing has turned into pure, unadulterated - and I do mean unADULTerated sniping? I have actually been dreading looking at this thread, feeling obligated to slog through all of the rancor that's been unloaded all afternoon, and I just can't bring myself to read every single post.

I'm calling a halt to this now. Things need to go back to our normal manner of dealing with each other. It's fine to disagree - in a calm and rational manner, or a passionate manner, but without bludgeoning each other over and over and over and over and over again. No pointing fingers, no laying blame on anyone in particular, just please, please can we go back to being Chazhound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.